Advise on how to wire a NO fault signal from VFD (Resolved)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

Ryan64
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Advise on how to wire a NO fault signal from VFD (Resolved)

Post by Ryan64 »

I have a custom made 5' x10' cnc router and it has been running great since making it 18 months ago.

However, I was reviewing my wiring while installing a diode laser and was reminded of a shortcut I took when getting the machine up and going.

I have Simphoenix E500 vfd powering my router. I used the generic VFD schematic from centroid (S15008) when wiring up the VFD. On powering up the system I had a spindle fault code when starting the machine. I found the issue was "fault com" and "fault NC" was connect to my TA and TC terminal on the VFD and on closer inspection of the E500 manual the TA and TC leads are connected to a Normal Open fault switch. Connecting the fault com and fault NC leads together got rid of error and the machine has ran great for the past 18 months. I realize this is not best practice and would appreciate some advice on the best way to wire this VFD to the acorn controller so the machine will stop when the VFD registers a fault.

Below is my report and a link to the VFD manual.

VFD Manual
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14rU0op ... sp=sharing
S15008
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14ueJUs ... sp=sharing

Thanks in Advance,

Ryan
Attachments
report_F8369BFC5778-0121202869_2021-12-14_14-24-13.zip
(644.31 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
cncsnw

Re: Advise on how to wire a NO fault signal from VFD

Post by cncsnw »

Wire the fault signal using the VFD's normally-open fault output (Ta and Tc).

Then invert your spindle fault input, either via the Wizard or with Ctrl-Alt-i on the PLC Diagnostic display.

That will cause the PLC to treat an open input as closed, and a closed input as open, so that the fault signal appears to be normally-closed.
Ryan64
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Advise on how to wire a NO fault signal from VFD

Post by Ryan64 »

Awesome - didn't realize I could change input 5 from green to red on the wizard, switched it to Red and it works as it should.

Thanks!