DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Emco VFD/Spindle Servo Driver

Post by mdhubilla »

Hi everyone!
Cheers!

We were able to retrofit our Emco PC Mill 55 and Turn 55 thanks to this forum.

Now I am switching to retrofit our Emco PC Mill 125 and Turn 125. I was able to utilizes the original axis drivers and components like power supply.

I am at end yet again with the original emco VFD/spindle servo drive of Mill 125 and turn 125. I just need to control its speed and direction. Anyone have the wiring diagram and I/O of the spindle motor drive?

Thanks a lot.
Attachments
Spindle motor
Spindle motor
Spindle motor drive
Spindle motor drive
mdhubilla
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Re: Emco VFD/Spindle Servo Driver

Post by mdhubilla »

As for now, I replaced the spindle head of the mill 125 by the mill 55 spindle head and using a generic 1hp vfd.
Attachments
Bench test wiring
Bench test wiring
16394678377971196723321612337587.jpg
mdhubilla

Post by mdhubilla »

Still have plenty of machines to retrofit early next year. These machines are used for training :P
Attachments
16394680759417058776783828457344.jpg
16394680467105128788896891111732.jpg
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

If you were able to reuse the existing axis drives and motors with Acorn GREAT!
If the spindle motor is a typical 3 phase motor, YES, your best bet is to replace the drive with a sensorless vector drive. Use a quality unit. Where in the world are you located? Once you you get one machine done, and well documented with a schematic, the rest should go more smoothly.

Good luck!
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
mdhubilla

Post by mdhubilla »

Hi Marty,

Yup I was able to reuse (saves lot of money) the original axis drives and motors. Also thanks for your help before specially in the tool changer for lathe 55.. I am from the philippines.. We have around 112 of these machine lathe and mill scattered to six of our regions. All machines are now for retrofitting mainly because of the obsolete win 98 computers attached to the machines.

Thanks to this forum we were able to successfully retrofitted around 10 percent of our machines and the rest would be bext early next year. Just last month we've trained trainers from different regions for them to retrofit their owned machines. :) :) :)

Glad I did choosed centroid over UCCNC

Thank you!
Attachments
20211111_103818.jpg
Trainers training for cnc repair, retrofitting and maintenance
Trainers training for cnc repair, retrofitting and maintenance
20211111_103618.jpg
martyscncgarage

Awesome! Thanks for sharing the pictures and I'm glad you are giving new life to those machines so the kids can learn on them!
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

Are any of the students interested in helping refit the machines to learn the control/electrical side of things?
Mesa, AZ
mdhubilla

Post by mdhubilla »

Hi Marty, as of now some students are helping the trainers assigned in retrofitting as part of their training in mechatronics course. This year I am planning to offer a Basic CNC maintenance course and start with Centroid Acorn as the controller. We do not have this course in our country so I think many would benefit in this training program from DIY builders to Manufacturing industry. Currently I am on curriculum development stage. :) :) :)

By the way, have you ever tried retrofitting an emco 345 lathe or emco 450 lathe? we also have those machines and they are candidates for retrofitting. These machines have turn mill function (3 axis lathe) and utilizes two spindle drives. My target is just to utilize it as a two axis lathe, a normal CNC lathe I would say. I wonder if you have similar projects previously and if you were able to reuse the axis motors.

regards,
Marlon
martyscncgarage

mdhubilla wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:52 am Hi Marty, as of now some students are helping the trainers assigned in retrofitting as part of their training in mechatronics course. This year I am planning to offer a Basic CNC maintenance course and start with Centroid Acorn as the controller. We do not have this course in our country so I think many would benefit in this training program from DIY builders to Manufacturing industry. Currently I am on curriculum development stage. :) :) :)

By the way, have you ever tried retrofitting an emco 345 lathe or emco 450 lathe? we also have those machines and they are candidates for retrofitting. These machines have turn mill function (3 axis lathe) and utilizes two spindle drives. My target is just to utilize it as a two axis lathe, a normal CNC lathe I would say. I wonder if you have similar projects previously and if you were able to reuse the axis motors.

regards,
Marlon
I agree with you.
Either they become technicians and can service the machines, or they learn to retrofit machines. OR if they have their own machines they learn how to take care of them themselves.

I have not. No reason you can't get it going with the main spindle. I would think the sub spindle could be made to work but I do not have the experience to be able to answer that question accurately.
The issue with these Emco's usually is the spindle motor. Are they standard 3 phase motors or are they still DC motors? Take pictures of the labels on the motors and of the spindle drives. Then maybe we can have Centroid comment or CNCSNW.

Marty
Mesa, AZ