Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 4372
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

How to make machine movement stop if spindle stops

Post by cad cam man »

Hey guys I have had a recent issue with my pm727v cnc conversion ....nothing to do with acorn yet....let me explain.. I was running a part that had a pretty good run time and I still have the stock BLDC spindle motor that came with the pm727v and as I was running the part the motor got hot causing the motor to cut in and out and shortly after it shut down but the machine kept going until I hit e stop . My question is how could I get the control to see that the spindle has stopped working and stop as well ? I have been meaning to add a spindle encoder to be able to do rigid tapping I just haven't got around to it yet would this help?? Any suggestions would be appreciated
Miamijerry
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Re: How to make machine movement stop if spindle stops

Post by Miamijerry »

One method which could work is;

A current sensing relay, set for the minimum current (Speed) of your spindle, and trips the estop circuit.

I use these current sense relays for a pool pump failure circuit
Last edited by Miamijerry on Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

A spindle encoder would provide one version of that type of protection. See Machine Parameter 78.

If that is not available, then you will have to explain why heat was "causing the motor to cut in and out".

Does the motor have a thermal cutout in its windings, which is intermittently opening? If so, there is little you can do with that. Perhaps a current-sensing relay as suggested above. You would need to add PLC code to keep track of when the spindle *ought* to be running at speed, since only then do you want to fault when it is not.

Is the motor controlled with a contactor and overload combination (i.e. magnetic motor starter), and you have the overload set to automatically reset itself? If so, and if the overload has a second set of auxiliary contacts, then you can wire those to a PLC input to indicate spindle fault.

Is the motor controlled with an electronic controller (e.g. a VFD) which is detecting overload and automatically stopping the motor, but which you again have configured to automatically reset and restart? If so, you need to wire the VFD fault signal to a PLC input.
rk9268vc
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by rk9268vc »

acorn has a spindle thermal E-stop input that is selectable in the wizard. You just have to figure out how to wire it
cad cam man
CNC Control System Serial Number: 4372

Post by cad cam man »

Rk9268vc, do you know anything about this spindle thermal E-stop ? That is exactly what I'm after
Gary Campbell
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Post by Gary Campbell »

Does your spindle motor have a thermal switch or thermistor with external connectors? If so, then you can wire it to an input that will halt motion. Most motors do not
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Slightly different than your BLDC spindle motor my HSD spindle motor on my CNC router has two thermistors inside the spindle that monitor temperature and can be used to trip a thermal alarm. If the temp of the spindle rises above the set point of the thermistor it will trigger an input. You could easily add a temperature sensor to your motor that once it rises to any set point you choose can trip any input on the Acorn with a warning BEFORE it just shuts down.