Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Denford Mirac 8 position tool changer wiring

Post by tomb »

Making some head way (Just running off the VFD at the moment, no Logic)

martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

That's good. Does it have a shot pin that locks the turret OR does the turret rest against the pin?

Is the turret Bi-Directional?
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
tomb
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by tomb »

The best explanation I've found so far was on a unrelated thread in the Defend forum.

"As far as the ATC goes the turret shaft is driven from the motor by a worm gear. The turret shaft has a coarse thread on it and turret itself acts as a nut. Initially the nut unscrews and the turret moves away from the back plate until it unlocks. The turret then rotates to the correct position for the tool selected. At this point the motor is reversed causing the turret to move towards the back plate and lock to it. In locking, the turret activates a micro-switch and the motor stops a few seconds later. If the micro-switch fails to operate the motor will run stalled until a timer expires. At this point the motor is stopped and an error message generated."

Bellow is a link to the turrets drawing:
https://www.denfordata.com/projectimage ... rawing.pdf
martyscncgarage

The control itself can be programmed to time out after a given number of seconds. The control is watching the gray logic to ensure the turret rotates to the proper position. If it doesn't make it in a given number of seconds (you program this time out value for the worst case scenario, how much time it takes to compete the worst case tool cycle)

Have you connected the gray logic to Acorn inputs yet? They are +24 logic? They go low when active? (Can ground Acorn inputs)

Marty
Mesa, AZ
tomb

Post by tomb »

I did watch your video on the grey logic, it was very helpful with getting the basics down.

I haven't wired up the Logic yet as i was just working on the turret while i was waiting for DB25 plug to turn up. I only realized i needed one after wiring the stepper motors into the green headers and they did nothing.
martyscncgarage

tomb wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:45 pm I did watch your video on the grey logic, it was very helpful with getting the basics down.

I haven't wired up the Logic yet as i was just working on the turret while i was waiting for DB25 plug to turn up. I only realized i needed one after wiring the stepper motors into the green headers and they did nothing.
If the drives are 5vdc logic then yes, the DB25 is best.

You can try and apply +5vdc from Acorn power supply to driver +pulse and +dir and the connect drive -pulse to Acorn header Step and drive -dir to Acorn header dir. Do not connect enable at this time. Just gook up one drive and motor and see if you can make it spin. Otherwise wait for the DB25 breakout board
Mesa, AZ
tomb

Post by tomb »

I actually found a thread of someone using the same drives as me and had a similar problem who was advised to use the DB25 plug.

https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic. ... lit=dm556t

One of the big advantages of using Acorn, high chance someone has already ran into your problem and found a solution.

I will do a full write up on this conversion when i'm done as finding some information like steppers, motor information etc has been challenging.
tomb

Post by tomb »

DB25 plug worked first time and now we've got the steppers running on both Axis although they are not going back to home when i click cycle start (Both limit switches are working when checking in the Alt-i Input/Output interface to ensure they are N/C), will investigate further.
martyscncgarage

tomb wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:36 am DB25 plug worked first time and now we've got the steppers running on both Axis although they are not going back to home when i click cycle start (Both limit switches are working when checking in the Alt-i Input/Output interface to ensure they are N/C), will investigate further.
Always post a fresh report. F7 Utility F7 Create report.
Pictures and or a video clip helpful as well. Videos upload to YouTube and then share a link here.

I imagine you were just providing an update, but you had an issue. Just saying we can make suggestions with more information. Fresh reports are required.
Mesa, AZ
tomb

Post by tomb »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:14 pm
tomb wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:36 am DB25 plug worked first time and now we've got the steppers running on both Axis although they are not going back to home when i click cycle start (Both limit switches are working when checking in the Alt-i Input/Output interface to ensure they are N/C), will investigate further.
Always post a fresh report. F7 Utility F7 Create report.
Pictures and or a video clip helpful as well. Videos upload to YouTube and then share a link here.

I imagine you were just providing an update, but you had an issue. Just saying we can make suggestions with more information. Fresh reports are required.
Hi Marty, no i appreciate that, i always make a note of reading all the sticky's when new to a forum.
I don't like to waste the time of people who are willing to help on forums like this when the information is out there i just need to look harder. Found your Youtube video on the limit switch wizard, clicked one box, changed the M92 to a minus and it works perfectly now.

On to the next problem now, the Motor keeps making my new VFD throw a error code after running for a few seconds, all fun and games.