CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Denford Mirac 8 position tool changer wiring

Post by tomb »

Hello

I am converting my Denford Mirac and have been following the guides on here and YouTube (Martys videos have been invaluable). I've been taking the advice of getting the machine running before i make a start on the turret which i have.

As per Marty's recommendations on one of his videos i did a bench test and everything ran perfectly. I've now nearly finished wiring in the control board and will do a proper test next week. (Omitting the turret)

While i'm at home and the machine is at work I've been trying to get a head start on planning out the turret. This turret differs to the ones i have seen used on here before as it uses a 3 phase motor and a locking proximity switch but It still runs 4 bit grey logic.

Fortunately i have the complete PDF of the tool changer with all the grey logic connections (please see attached Baruffaldi PDF) and additional functions such as the locking proximity switch and electromagnet etc

I have a spare VFD to run this motor but i'm not sure what the best approach is to integrate this in and the turrets additional functions such as proximity switch, thermostatic switch etc (Please see page 9 on turret PDF) into the 4 grey bit wiring diagram supplied in the centroid_acorn_v460_lathe_universal folder.

Cycle description is on page 10 of the attached Baruffaldi PDF

Like i said i'm focusing on just getting it running for now but i'd like to make a start on the planning side of getting the turret working if i can.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tom
Attachments
Baruffaldi-TOE80-Use-And-Main-Technical-Guide.pdf
(1.44 MiB) Downloaded 85 times
Turret.jpg
miracdos.jpg
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Denford Mirac 8 position tool changer wiring

Post by martyscncgarage »

The turret is a nice one and fairly complex. I would use the tiny VFD myself. You are likely going to need a ether1616 to handle the extra I/O.
You'll probably need to employ Centroid's help with the turret PLC
Here is a video of a Mirac running and doing tool changes.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
tomb
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by tomb »

Hi Marty, thank you for your reply (and Youtube videos). It's a really well made machine, all the parts are named brands like OMRON switch gear, pratt burnerd chuck etc so it's well worth the time and money converting it.

I think you are right about needing the Ether1616 but i think the first point of call is identifying all the outputs of the turret to know what i'm working with. From what i can see there is:

4 Bit grey Logic (I'm not sure what the PARITY and STROBE columns are for in the encoder table though) (9 Wires here, i'm going to need some help to workout the best way to integrate these into the board)

LOCKING PROXIMITY +24 Volt SWITCH (3 Wires here???)

PRE-INDEX. ELECTROMAGNET 24 Volt DC (2 Wires here, relay would work here)

THERMOSTATIC SWITCH (2 Wires here, relay would work here)

THREE PHASE MOTOR (3 wires here but they will go into the VFD and that will need controlling)

I'm defiantly going to need help from Centroid on getting the PLC to work but i can see this being beneficial as i'll document it as i go so others can convert their own machines.
Attachments
Mirac component list.png
Mirac grey logic table.png
martyscncgarage

If you carefully read the turret manual, it explains what strobe and parity are for. You can also reach out to Marc Leonard at cncsnw.com. (he frequents these forums, was very involved in writing the Centroid PLC) for consultation. I've used Marc on several projects. He is extremely sharp and may we'll be familiar with this style of turret.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
tomb

Post by tomb »

Thank you for the information, i will contact Marc and hopefully he can help me.

Once i make some head way on this i'll update the thread for others. It's a great turret, Clockwise and Anti clockwise tool selection, fast selection etc, so it's worth pursuing.

Tom
kfm

Post by kfm »

Hi Tom
I sent you a PM on this. Your turret is a Denford DM-08 rather than a Baruffaldi and should be manageable within the current ATC/turret wizard. I am currently sorting a Mirac PC with the same turret.
martyscncgarage

kfm wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:00 am Hi Tom
I sent you a PM on this. Your turret is a Denford DM-08 rather than a Baruffaldi and should be manageable within the current ATC/turret wizard. I am currently sorting a Mirac PC with the same turret.
I noted his manual had 12 positions and wondered about that.
If you have a manual for the Denford DM-08 please post it here and you guys can collaborate, all the while sharing the information for the next Denford user with the same turret.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
tomb

Post by tomb »

Hi Kfm,

Thank you for getting in contact with me, I've replied to your message. Luckily you told me there was an alternative turret, i was completely unaware.

It'll be a great help having someone to talk with who is converting the same machine.
martyscncgarage

tomb wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:10 pm

Hi Kfm,

Thank you for getting in contact with me, I've replied to your message. Luckily you told me there was an alternative turret, i was completely unaware.

It'll be a great help having someone to talk with who is converting the same machine.
You guys should start a build thread here. That way we can offer suggestions and it will be here for the next person with a similar machine
Marty
Mesa, AZ
kfm

Post by kfm »

Hi Marty

sure, will update on progress soon. Hoping to get things sorted over the Christmas break and will report on what works then

Kevin