CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Denford Mirac 8 position tool changer wiring

Post by Allin1Chris »

Hi Tomb,

Currently the PLC does not consider an external "TurretisLocked" input.

If you are willing to try to modify the PLC yourself, can make yourself an Input5 called "TurretisLocked" as an example.

Then in the PLC, under the "RotateTurretStage", will want to modify the following.

Code: Select all

;Set memory bit stating tool change is done
IF TurretReverseTimer THEN SET ToolChangeComplete_M,
						   RST RotateToolTurret,
						   RST ToolTurretEnable
To

Code: Select all

;Set memory bit stating tool change is done
IF TurretisLocked THEN SET ToolChangeComplete_M,
						   RST RotateToolTurret,
						   RST ToolTurretEnable
This should then stop the turret when it sees the input rather than the timer.

P.S. I did not see a report from you in this thread, if you provide one, i can try to provide the above change for you to test out for us.
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)

Centroid PLC Tutorial Videos
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

It would be wise to run an error timer in this scenario, so that the motor is not stalled against the pawl indefinitely in the event that the TurretIsLocked input sensor fails to register.
tomb
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by tomb »

Good morning

Thank you guys for taking the time to look at this with me. More than happy to modify the PLC and test this out and very good point about having a fall back time.

This is how i see events playing out:

1 - Acorn requests a tool change

2 -"RotateToolTurret" Triggers optical relay

3 - Turret moves

4 - Truth table is met

5 - "ReverseToolTurret" Triggers optical relay

6 - Turret moves in reverse

7 - "Error Timer" starts running (Arbitrary time, 10 seconds for example) - Good idea CNCSNW

8 - Turret returns home and locks on to the pawl triggering Clamp limit switch

9 - New Timer overrides "Error Timer" and runs for 0.5 seconds to make sure it is home

10 - Optical relay "ReverseToolTurret" turns OFF

One of the main reasons i want to use the clamp switch is it will reduce cycle times on turret selection, those 5-10 seconds per tool change will add up over a year of production time and it's there, wired in ready to use from factory.

From 7 to 10 is the section i don't know how to achieve.

(I didn't provide a report as i'm still changing things/setting it up, i didn't want to waste everyone's time by looking at it while i'm still setting up the basics)
tomb

Post by tomb »

Good morning

I've had a chance to work on the turret now and i've ran into a problem, the turret isn't moving when i put a tool request in. If i force the relay to operate in the ALT+i interface the relay operates the VFD fine and it moves in forward and reverse when i operate the other relay but when i ask Acorn to do it i get:

"Please change to tool number 4, Then press cycle start to continue"

I am running the "centroid_acorn_v460_lathe_universal" file and using the " Lathe_Turret_Gray_Code_2_Output" instructions.

Any thoughts why the relays are controlling the VFD as requested manually but not on a Tool request command? I made sure to reset the relay before trying (Getting rid of the underscore in the ALT-i interface).

My Parameters are:

Parameter #6 = 1
Parameter #160 = 1
Parameter #161 = 8
Parameter #820 = 1
Parameter #830 = 8 (4bit absolute)

I've attached my report and photos to help, any advice would be appreciated. (+Video of turret turning and inputs seeing the changes in states when the rotate relay is manually turned on in the Alt-I interface)
MIRAC inputs and outputs.jpg
MIRAC Outputs.jpg
MIRAC DIODE board.jpg
MIRAC tool change.jpg
Upnorth
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1702

Post by Upnorth »

From your video your turret is doing something mine also did.

When you type in a tool change request what are you typing in? I am new to turrets so I was typing in for example T5 expecting it to go to tool 5. It did not it would just spin like yours is doing.

When I type in T505 it seeks correctly.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

tomb wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:50 am Good morning

I've had a chance to work on the turret now and i've ran into a problem, the turret isn't moving when i put a tool request in. If i force the relay to operate in the ALT+i interface the relay operates the VFD fine and it moves in forward and reverse when i operate the other relay but when i ask Acorn to do it i get:

"Please change to tool number 4, Then press cycle start to continue"

I am running the "centroid_acorn_v460_lathe_universal" file and using the " Lathe_Turret_Gray_Code_2_Output" instructions.

Any thoughts why the relays are controlling the VFD as requested manually but not on a Tool request command? I made sure to reset the relay before trying (Getting rid of the underscore in the ALT-i interface).

My Parameters are:

Parameter #6 = 1
Parameter #160 = 1
Parameter #161 = 8
Parameter #820 = 1
Parameter #830 = 8 (4bit absolute)

I've attached my report and photos to help, any advice would be appreciated. (+Video of turret turning and inputs seeing the changes in states when the rotate relay is manually turned on in the Alt-I interface)

MIRAC inputs and outputs.jpg
MIRAC Outputs.jpg
MIRAC DIODE board.jpg
MIRAC tool change.jpg

Was this working at one point? You didn't reinstall the software at all did you? Or restored an earlier report? That would have overwritten the the files in the directory. When I get a system working, I immediately make a fresh report and make a copy of the directory and its contents as a back up.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Also, make sure you when you press Ctrl Alt F to force an output on, you press it again TWICE to put it back into the normal state.
If you only press it once, you will turn the output OFF.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
tomb

Post by tomb »

Upnorth wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:58 am From your video your turret is doing something mine also did.

When you type in a tool change request what are you typing in? I am new to turrets so I was typing in for example T5 expecting it to go to tool 5. It did not it would just spin like yours is doing.

When I type in T505 it seeks correctly.
Hi Upnorth, in the video that is just me forcing the optical relay to trigger in the ALT-i interface just to check it is connected to the VFD correctly and triggers rotation, it's technically not seeking anything, just free spinning.

I tried T0505, T5, T505, F1 (Set up) - F7 (ATC) and they all asked me to move it manually as shown in the screen shot.
Last edited by tomb on Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
tomb

Post by tomb »

martyscncgarage wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:04 am
I can't open your Report.
Could you please create another fresh report from the CNCPC and post it from a PC?
Was this working at one point? You didn't reinstall the software at all did you? Or restored an earlier report? That would have overwritten the the files in the directory. When I get a system working, I immediately make a fresh report and make a copy of the directory and its contents as a back up.
Marty

No, it never worked in the sense of getting Acorn to call a tool up, this is the first test, works manually in the ALT-i interface so i know the relays are switching the VFD correctly from a wiring point of view, i just can't get Acorn to trigger the relays through a normal request.

No reinstall, I followed the instructions to copy over the files in the "centroid_acorn_V460_lathe_universal" folder and replace the files when prompted.
(3. Extract all files from centroid_acorn_v460_lathe_universal file into the c:\cnct directory and overwrite all files.)
That was the only file editing/installation.

I watched your video on the EMCO install and made sure to cycle the relay twice so the underscore was gone.

I will take your advice on making a report once i've got it running.

Cheers
tomb

Post by tomb »

Thank you for your patience in trying to help me with this.

Windows but i usually air lock my CNC computers and transfer files over USB to the office computer (Windows also), maybe this is causing the file issue. I connected the PC running the machine directly to the internet and have uploaded the report, hopefully it works now.
Attachments
report_1442FC0C8DE1-0729215009_2022-03-09_14-42-11.zip
(604.42 KiB) Downloaded 45 times