CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Denford Mirac 8 position tool changer wiring

Post by kfm »

Tom

the board in your link is used to route a single common pin to one of 16 inputs (or outputs) depending on the address given by the 4-bit BCD pattern. This is not what you want. You need a 16 input to 4-bit BCD encoder and there are chips available to do this or others have hacked a rotary 16 input switch which has a 4 BCD outputs to do the job.

The easiest way is still to solder your own. I'll send you a sketch of what we put together over the weekend.

Have a look at the section on Diode Matrix Encoders at the link below. The basic operation of the circuit is as shown except you would implement it with +24V instead of +5V and with pull down operation. You also only have 8 inputs from the turret rotary switch and could use inputs 2 through 9 in the circuit diagram.

https://learnabout-electronics.org/Digital/dig44.php
tomb
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Post by tomb »

Hi Kevin

Thank you for putting up with my obvious short comings when it comes to understanding circuit boards. The page you linked will be tonight's reading.

After looking at what is available or a better word "Isn't" online, you were right in the first place, just make your own.

If you could please do me a sketch and list what Diodes you used that would be great!
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

tomb wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:48 pm Hi Kevin

Thank you for putting up with my obvious short comings when it comes to understanding circuit boards. The page you linked will be tonight's reading.

After looking at what is available or a better word "Isn't" online, you were right in the first place, just make your own.

If you could please do me a sketch and list what Diodes you used that would be great!
Please post that sketch here for the next guy....
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
kfm

Post by kfm »

Tom, Marty

see below for the tool post truth table and connection diagram. Any standard diode ie 1N4001 is fine.

martyscncgarage

Outstanding. Thank you KFM!
Do you have your turret running yet?

Marty
Mesa, AZ
kfm

Post by kfm »

Marty

You can thank my son for the tidy write-up. Yes the turret is running and operational, we just haven't finalised whether to take the clamp switch as an input into the Acorn or use it via a relay to halt the turret reverse command. Currently the turret reverse is simply based on time via the ATC program.

Also have some pneumatic accessories to sort out yet and a custom back-plate for the pneumatic chuck. Definitely will not be enough inputs and outputs if the pneumatics are incorporated

Kevin
martyscncgarage

kfm wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:11 am Marty

You can thank my son for the tidy write-up. Yes the turret is running and operational, we just haven't finalised whether to take the clamp switch as an input into the Acorn or use it via a relay to halt the turret reverse command. Currently the turret reverse is simply based on time via the ATC program.

Also have some pneumatic accessories to sort out yet and a custom back-plate for the pneumatic chuck. Definitely will not be enough inputs and outputs if the pneumatics are incorporated

Kevin
Thanks Kevin,
Your son did a great job!
Are you running the turret with a small VFD?
Can you post your latest report with the turret operational?
Marty
Mesa, AZ
tomb

Post by tomb »

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for taking the time to do that and pass on my gratitude to your son, he's done a great job!

That all makes sense, i'll order the diodes and make a start on that next week.

I have one free I/O on the headers as i'm not using the "Drive Ok" due to my Drivers not having that function, i'm going to see if i can use that as the clamp switch but i need to look into the PLC more to see if i can do that.
tomb

Post by tomb »

Made a start on the PCB, will fire up the CNC laser over the weekend and burn off a PCB blank.

Mounting holes on the sides are for a standard PCB DIN rail mounting clip and the Diodes will be the jumpers on the other side of the board going to their corresponding track.

Will supply all files once i know it works.

tomb

Post by tomb »

Morning chaps

so I've got a running machine now, i still need to test my lead screw/steps are input correct but i'll post a video of some chips being cut on the weekend if all goes well (Minus the tool changing).

On to the turret PLC, the Turret motor is a 3 phase motor (please see attached photo for future reference for other people) so i am running it with a stand alone inverter, this means i can use the Centroid Optical relays to switch the inverter forward and reverse like it does with the spindle inverter.

The ATC instructions "Lathe_Turret_Gray_Code_2_Output" suits this perfectly with the outputs:

1. RotateToolTurret

2. ReverseToolTurret

Now that's all nice and straight forward but this leads onto my question, the turret has a clamp switch (looks like a normal limit switch, 2 wires, normally closed), that is used to tell the machine when the turret is locked on the thread and against the pawl.

I am running stepper motors so i have number 5 free on the input headers as the stepper drivers i am using do not have the "DRIVE OK", as my drivers physically do not have this option/connection on them so i would like to use this clamp switch instead of the timer. (I understand the timer works just fine but the clamp switch is a physical conformation the turret is ready to go, i have it already wired in from factory and i have nothing to put into Input 5)

What input would i assign to Input 5 to make use of this clamp switch so the board knows when to stop reversing and switch off as the turret is now clamped? i did look through the PLC and nothing stood out to me (It was late so i properly missed something obvious)
Attachments
turret_motor_rating_plate.JPG
Last edited by tomb on Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.