Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Glass Scales that work with Centroid

Post by balbino »

Hi can anyone tell me what time of linear scales work with the centroid controls.

Thanks
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Glass Scales that work with Centroid

Post by cnckeith »

I've used a few for DRO scale positional feedback on the Knee and Quill of a knee mill.

Scale Output Type: Differential encoder output is REQUIRED. (There are many scales are available on the market that are
not differential output). Wire scale as per DB9 encoder wiring diagram in any of the MPU11 based installation
manuals. i have used scales from http://www.zsinstruments.com/ specifically the GT05-450 (18” for
knee) and the GT05-150S (slime line unit for quill). ZS Instruments will configure the DB9 scale cable to match
the Centroid encoder pin out so the scale is plug and play. Just be sure to specify “Centroid ready cable” when
ordering.

related.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=921
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
tblough
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Glass Scales that work with Centroid

Post by tblough »

I have successfully used AcuRite SENC-50 and SENC-150 scales, Fagor MX scales, and RSF Electronik MSA170 and MSA770 scales. As Keith pointed out you need RS422 (differential) 5V quadrature output so any scale that has that should work and 99% of the time you will need to cut off the connector that comes with the scale and rewire it to Centroid's spec.

First, you posted in the Acorn forum so realize that there is only one encoder input, therefore you can connect only one scale.

Second, if you mistakenly posted this in the Acorm forum but were asking about using the scale for position feedback with a servo system, realize that this involves dithering. Your axis with scales will hunt back and forth when maintaining position. The amount that it dithers is directly proportional to the resolution of the scale and I personally wouldn't use any scale with a resolution greater than 0.5µ and preferably 0.1µ. Scales at that resolution are very expensive.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.