Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: z axis moves when spindle turned on

Post by lavrgs »

Not exactly the same scenario but before I added shielded wiring to control my VFD the spindle rpms fluctuated. I run my mill using a RPC and the converter made noises sympathetic to the fluctuating rpm. A simple fix but not something obvious.
ericbowman
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by ericbowman »

Thanks for all the help everyone.

First I'll respond where I can:
Aren't these the same drives as are having issues here? viewtopic.php?f=60&t=6477
Yes they are, but like Marty said, they have been working fine for me. I don't have any trouble at all until I turn on the spindle.
Hi, I am having issues with my g214's moving on there own when I start cnc12. Have you had this problem? What revision version are your drives? Thanks
I don't have any trouble with them moving on their own when I start cnc12. I don't know what they revision they are, but I only bought them about a month ago.

@drdennis thanks for sharing the video, I'll definitely watch it....and probably see if I can coax my buddy who's an electrical engineer to come out and help me once I've fixed a few of the issues others have pointed out that I know aren't done correctly.
Do you have a closeup of the yellow wire going into and out of the VFD? IS it shielded? Specs?
It's just 13-gauge romex, solid core, not shielded. There's a really good chance that's the problem. It could also be because I bought a cheap chinese VFD, I've heard they cause EMI headaches.

From what you guys have said overall I think I need to take a step back. yesterday I reattached the original spindle control box ground because I had a hunch that grounding that would also ground some of the shielding on the router. It helped, but the z axis moves on spindle startup, spindle shutdown and the z home kept changing while it was running a program.

For now, I'm going to take a breath and slow down a little bit. I was really hoping to make a few christmas gifts on it but I need to let go of that and take good care of this machine that I was unbelievably lucky to get at a price I could afford.

I'll monitor this thread and answer any questions but I'm going to take a step back, go back to my original build thread and start by documenting my build clearly. Then I'm going to buy good, shielded wire and rewire everything.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

What is the make and model of your router motor and VFD? Pictures of their labels?
automationdirect.com sells VFD cable
Some cheap VFD's are absolutely horrible.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ