Does Centroid have S curves or jerk control in motion planning?

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Does Centroid have S curves or jerk control in motion planning?

Post by cnckeith »

parameter 228 is used to turn off S curve when you are running G64. If you aren't running short vector program and G64 changing 228 will make no difference in motion.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

scope shot of Acorn S curve accel decell. 3" line at 100 ipm, acell set to 1 second
Plot.PNG
G1x3F100 (ipm)
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
eng199
CNC12: Yes

Post by eng199 »

drdennis wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:43 pm Indeed there is an S-curve. Very interestingly (at least to me) it is implemented through some pretty course dithering. I suspect the dithering is fine, given the inertia in the system, but I would love to hear some reasoning behind it. Thanks.
The spikes in the plot are due to the low steps per revolution setting. If you are only studying the waveform (not running stepper motors), increase the steps per revolution and step rate as high as possible. Monitor the DB25 step outputs to avoid rate limits on the open collectors. The plot will smooth out significantly.

There is no way to output a partial pulse. The calculation of pulses per time interval always gives a whole number. The fundamental unit is pulses, so the artifacts show up even when you change units to inches or millimeters. Steppers use more microsteps and servos use higher encoder counts per revolution for smoother motion. Your plots show why low resolution systems have rougher and noisier motion than high resolution systems.
Cncninja
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Cncninja »

Wow, thanks to everyone

I just tracked it and it should be here tomorrow!!

@eng199 Makes perfect sense thanks

@CNCKeith Thanks for the info, For the build its uses C5 1604 4mm for better resolution with the scale of the application, THK20mm rails, a Jagger ATC spindle 100k-RPM, the machine is made up of a Granit base, Epoxy granite/steel columns Its a small work area only 200X200mm buit its going to be moving fast. I have TMC drive but have some clear paths on the way Would you recommend using the RAS in the clearpaths or with the 2 S curves mess each other up?

Here is a video of the RAS its an option built into the drives.

drdennis
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0927215221

Post by drdennis »

The spikes in the plot are due to the low steps per revolution setting.
The spikes are there because the beagle motion controller generated them. It may be that the motion controller introduces such noise only for lower resolutions microstepping (if you want to call 1000ppr "low resolution"). My point is that the noise is not implied by, nor is it a result of the stepper resolution, rather it is due to the motion controller algorithm.
Your plots show why low resolution systems have rougher and noisier motion than high resolution systems.
My plots show what kind of frequency noise one may expect to see while running Acorn under the condition of my test. By definition, lower resolution systems exhibit higher noise than those with higher resolution. But my plots show that Acorn run in those specific conditions will produce much more noise than what a 1000 pulse microstepping would suggest.

I don't know that the jitter I showed will manifest in any way on a running machine producing chips. If it does not, then designing something "better" would not make any sense regardless of the fact that one could easily make a controller that would not produce such noise. I am guessing from the comments that Acorn will have easier time controlling steppers with much higher resolution; I will test that simply to satisfy my intellectual curiosity -- I have designed precision motion controllers, but never worked on a mill or lathe controller, so this is an educational exercise for me.
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

Cncninja wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:27 pm

@CNCKeith Thanks for the info, For the build its uses C5 1604 4mm for better resolution with the scale of the application, THK20mm rails, a Jagger ATC spindle 100k-RPM, the machine is made up of a Granit base, Epoxy granite/steel columns Its a small work area only 200X200mm buit its going to be moving fast. I have TMC drive but have some clear paths on the way Would you recommend using the RAS in the clearpaths or with the 2 S curves mess each other up?

the clearpaths will work well, they perform better than steppers partially due to the buffering and internal pid controls Tecnic has in them, several machines that i've seen performed very nicely with them sized right and tuned, nice smooth action.

next step up would be Estun's, Delta's or Yaskawa's etc.
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

drdennis wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:21 pm
The spikes in the plot are due to the low steps per revolution setting.
The spikes are there because the beagle motion controller generated them. It may be that the motion controller introduces such noise only for lower resolutions microstepping (if you want to call 1000ppr "low resolution"). My point is that the noise is not implied by, nor is it a result of the stepper resolution, rather it is due to the motion controller algorithm.
Your plots show why low resolution systems have rougher and noisier motion than high resolution systems.
My plots show what kind of frequency noise one may expect to see while running Acorn under the condition of my test. By definition, lower resolution systems exhibit higher noise than those with higher resolution. But my plots show that Acorn run in those specific conditions will produce much more noise than what a 1000 pulse microstepping would suggest.

I don't know that the jitter I showed will manifest in any way on a running machine producing chips. If it does not, then designing something "better" would not make any sense regardless of the fact that one could easily make a controller that would not produce such noise. I am guessing from the comments that Acorn will have easier time controlling steppers with much higher resolution; I will test that simply to satisfy my intellectual curiosity -- I have designed precision motion controllers, but never worked on a mill or lathe controller, so this is an educational exercise for me.
one reason why we don't recommend a step per rev value below 1600.

this is discussed here.. viewtopic.php?f=63&t=1801
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

Cncninja wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:27 pm Wow, thanks to everyone

I just tracked it and it should be here tomorrow!!

@eng199 Makes perfect sense thanks

great. be sure to go with the native 6400 pulses per rev Clearpath units, they make two different types the less expensive ones are 800 steps per rev, avoid those for this type of application, get the 6400 units.
Cncninja
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by Cncninja »

Look what i got today!!
Attachments
IMG_4517.JPG
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

let the work begin!