Does Centroid have S curves or jerk control in motion planning?

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

hennessey
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Does Centroid have S curves or jerk control in motion planning?

Post by hennessey »

Cncninja wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:27 pm Would you recommend using the RAS in the clearpaths or with the 2 S curves mess each other up?

Here is a video of the RAS its an option built into the drives.

Sorry for the thread res however im about to dive in on the smoothing options available in acorn, and now im trying to decide if i should start there or leave the acorn controls stock and fiddle wih the RAS settings inside the clearpath sdsk motors equipped on my machine, anyone have any insight there?
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

hennessey wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:03 am ....

Sorry for the thread res however im about to dive in on the smoothing options available in acorn, and now im trying to decide if i should start there or leave the acorn controls stock and fiddle wih the RAS settings inside the clearpath sdsk motors equipped on my machine, anyone have any insight there?
I do not use Clearpath, but other servos and CL steppers. I tune them only to get most speed and rigidity out of them and play only with Acorns single acceleration time in the Wizard.

Brings me a very fast and smooth running system like the expensive modern industrial CNCs I am working with in my job.

I use the smoothing only for complex parts wich have to look good and exact geometry is not the first role.

Dont get the things over complicated, Acorn is the best running DIY CNC I have ever seen running and stupid easy to set up.

Uwe
hennessey
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by hennessey »

Yeah, im very pleased with my initial cuts a 400ipm, accelleration set to .3, however, it seemed that there was a slight dwell on 90 degree corner direction changes (though, perhaps no more than .3 seconds) I think i will probably start with the RAS setting adjustements on the sdsk servos before adjusting cnc12s smoothing settings and go from there.
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

Keep in mind that Acorn is open loop. If the servo driver does its own thing, it will not follow the pulse/time rate Acorn is commanding and expecting.
You will probably have not correct toolpaths if the drivers accelerates in slow rates.
That is why I dial in my drives as fast and responsive as possible and let CNC12 do the work for smooth moving.

Uwe