CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Fusion360 Machine List for Centroid/Acorn

Post by BGracia »

Hello Everyone,
While starting a programming solution for a part, I noticed you could select a machine type under Setup in Fusion360. Curious, I searched the list and did not find Centroid in the list. I selected a generic type (x,y on the table, z on the head). I think it would be great marketing for the little guys who use Acorn to be able to select a Centroid Acorn machine type.

Regards,
Brian
tblough
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192
CNC12: Yes

Re: Fusion360 Machine List for Centroid/Acorn

Post by tblough »

What is the Centroid Acorn "type"? Is it a knee mill with the quill powered or the knee powered? A plasma table? A router? A lathe with a C axis? A horizontal boring mill? Perhaps a laser cutter?

The beauty of Centroid's products is they can be used to retrofit a large variety of machines, many that we're not even originally CNC. A recent thread described a pen plotter application with Acorn.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
Gary Campbell
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Post by Gary Campbell »

BGracia wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:30 pm Hello Everyone,
While starting a programming solution for a part, I noticed you could select a machine type under Setup in Fusion360. Curious, I searched the list and did not find Centroid in the list. I selected a generic type (x,y on the table, z on the head). I think it would be great marketing for the little guys who use Acorn to be able to select a Centroid Acorn machine type.

Regards,
Brian
This is one time you should take the verbiage "machine type" literally. As in machine type not controller brand.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
Christian Wahl
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0479B7ABD46B-0319203088

Post by Christian Wahl »

That's the beauty with Acorn, every machine is different and uniqe.
You design your own customiced machine in Fusion, with the dimentions(capacities), feeds and speeds+ another additions and postprosessor you preffere.

CW
Bridgeport J-head retrofit
Just for fun
Cncninja
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by Cncninja »

The Machine type is for defining the spec of the machine such as table size, max speed, spindle rpm range. The Centroid Acorn is made to retrofit or custom builds, so there will not be a reference in most cases. unless you retrofitted a known machine like a Fadal etc. The Machine selection is not required to use Fusion it is just handy as it helps with warnings if you say to try and cut something bigger than the defined table size etc. For the post-processor selection, you would pick Centroid and it is listed in fusion.

Think of it like a computer the machine list would define how much ram, what CPU. how much hard drive space Etc. well, the post-processor is like then defining the software on the hardware I.E windows7, Linux, IOS, etc

It's too different things, The Default/generic profile is easy to change and match your parameters in fusion. If you need help with a machine definition let me know.