is there any way to use a servo for 4th axis on acorn?

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

rk9268vc
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

is there any way to use a servo for 4th axis on acorn?

Post by rk9268vc »

Ive got some big DC brushless servos leftover from another project.
The servo drive can be put in velocity mode or torque mode. It seems like the common way to control these is using analog 0-10V.
The manual for the driver is attached.

I would like to make a 4th axis for my mill using one of these servos. Is it possible to control a 4th axis using the acorn spindle wiring? That is 0-10v and has encoder feedback. I dont use it to control my spindle, so is there a way to use it as a 4th axis?

Alternatively, would there be a way to use a PLC or microcontroller to take acorn's step and dir signals and convert them into 0-10vdc? Ive got encoder feedback, and could run PID then.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Attachments
MPA-03-06-09.pdf
(529.57 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: is there any way to use a servo for 4th axis on acorn?

Post by martyscncgarage »

rk9268vc wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:21 pm Ive got some big DC brushless servos leftover from another project.
The servo drive can be put in velocity mode or torque mode. It seems like the common way to control these is using analog 0-10V.
The manual for the driver is attached.

I would like to make a 4th axis for my mill using one of these servos. Is it possible to control a 4th axis using the acorn spindle wiring? That is 0-10v and has encoder feedback. I dont use it to control my spindle, so is there a way to use it as a 4th axis?

Alternatively, would there be a way to use a PLC or microcontroller to take acorn's step and dir signals and convert them into 0-10vdc? Ive got encoder feedback, and could run PID then.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Acorn outputs step and direction signals. If your drive accepts those then yes, it will probably work.
Cursory review of the document you provided on the drive seems to indicate No, it does not accept step and direction signals.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ