Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Displayed Spindle Speed is Incorrect

Post by Greg »

Franco did a easy to follow video series about the KBSI about a year ago on his PM mill. I recommend watching them if you have not seen them yet.
Dave_C
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by Dave_C »

Greg, thanks for posting that video!

Franco did not show how to hook up the two wires from the KBSI to the replace the 3 wires on the knob control!

Does anyone know what terminals on the KBSI hook to what wires on the three wire knob control?

I looked at the attached wiring diagram some post back but the colors are hard to read.

I'd like to know in case I ever need to do one of these, please.

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
Greg

Post by Greg »

On video #5 he shows the wiring.
francoCNC
CNC Control System Serial Number: B0D5CC39D321-0822170083

Post by francoCNC »

Hi. I'm not an electrical engineer and I can relate to the challenges the "every man" has when trying to do spindle control on these DIY mills. When you boil it all down, you are replacing the manual potentiometer with a "digital" version. Manual potentiometers have three terminals (Ground, Output and VCC). You feed the max voltage to VCC and the Output voltage will vary depending on where you turn the knob. You measure the Output voltage between the Output and Ground terminals.

Pretty much all manual benchtop mills have a three terminal potentiometer and if you figure out the max voltage (measured between GND and VCC) you can adjust the signal isolation board to match. The voltage measured between VCC and GND typically represents the MAX RPM of the spindle. As you lower the voltage, the spindle turns slower.

The output from the Signal Isolation board will replace the Output and GND terminals of the potentiometer. The VCC terminal is not needed and serves no purpose any more.

Long story short: The signal isolation board replaces the GND and Output of the potentiometer. It also prevents your Acorn board from getting destroyed.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Most excellent video! Even I can do one of these now, LOL

That answered all of my questions and hopefully the OP will be able to solve his as well.

On to the next probelm!

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
WVDualsport

Post by WVDualsport »

francoCNC wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:46 pm Hi. I'm not an electrical engineer and I can relate to the challenges the "every man" has when trying to do spindle control on these DIY mills. When you boil it all down, you are replacing the manual potentiometer with a "digital" version. Manual potentiometers have three terminals (Ground, Output and VCC). You feed the max voltage to VCC and the Output voltage will vary depending on where you turn the knob. You measure the Output voltage between the Output and Ground terminals.

Pretty much all manual benchtop mills have a three terminal potentiometer and if you figure out the max voltage (measured between GND and VCC) you can adjust the signal isolation board to match. The voltage measured between VCC and GND typically represents the MAX RPM of the spindle. As you lower the voltage, the spindle turns slower.

The output from the Signal Isolation board will replace the Output and GND terminals of the potentiometer. The VCC terminal is not needed and serves no purpose any more.

Long story short: The signal isolation board replaces the GND and Output of the potentiometer. It also prevents your Acorn board from getting destroyed.

Ok, so I sorted out my non-responsive spindle issue, so I can proceed!

I will adjust the pots with the #9 and #10 outputs disconnected from the Spindle to read 0v and 5v min and max.

Random question, just for my understanding.....
Knowing that I get out, exactly what I am putting in at the moment, could I simply set the CNC12 wizard to limit output to 5V and just use the KBSI as a sort of passthrough since it is already wired? I intend to use it to cut the output voltage in half as intended, but that seems like it would be an option also.

Thanks,

Shawn
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

WVDualsport wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:54 pm
francoCNC wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:46 pm Hi. I'm not an electrical engineer and I can relate to the challenges the "every man" has when trying to do spindle control on these DIY mills. When you boil it all down, you are replacing the manual potentiometer with a "digital" version. Manual potentiometers have three terminals (Ground, Output and VCC). You feed the max voltage to VCC and the Output voltage will vary depending on where you turn the knob. You measure the Output voltage between the Output and Ground terminals.

Ok, so I sorted out my non-responsive spindle issue, so I can proceed!

I will adjust the pots with the #9 and #10 outputs disconnected from the Spindle to read 0v and 5v min and max.

Random question, just for my understanding.....
Knowing that I get out, exactly what I am putting in at the moment, could I simply set the CNC12 wizard to limit output to 5V and just use the KBSI as a sort of passthrough since it is already wired? I intend to use it to cut the output voltage in half as intended, but that seems like it would be an option also.

Thanks,

Shawn
Yes, If you supply 0-5VDC input, then you should get 0-5VDC Isolated output.
Here is a link to the manual: https://acim.nidec.com/drives/kbelectro ... ashx?la=en
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ