Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Acorn Six and Hickory

Post by SuperDuck »

Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to it's release.
Muzzer
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512
CNC12: Yes

Post by Muzzer »

It appears that Acorn6 as 3 encoder inputs? Can they be used for closed loop axis control eg X and Z linear encoders?
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Muzzer wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:01 pm It appears that Acorn6 as 3 encoder inputs? Can they be used for closed loop axis control eg X and Z linear encoders?
scales are supported. main use for all three would be for a Lathe, with dedicated MPG wheels for X and Z that takes two encoder ports, and then the spindle encoder is the 3rd.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Upnorth
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1702

Post by Upnorth »

Will the supported scales be closed loop?
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Upnorth wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:28 pm Will the supported scales be closed loop?
eventually, it will be part of the upper tier software license as this is tech support heavy.

Z axis summing is also another related scale feature that is supported. typical use is a quill or knee combined with Z axis. (effectively machine has two Z axes, the scale is used to read the 2nd axis position and then the master Z axis position is adjusted based on the quill or knee movement retaining Z zero locations, tool offsets etc even it the quill or knee is moved)
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
beevo

Post by beevo »

Albums needed to be moved due to a Google account issue, new homes are

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FSZ6q3HtEYme5c1h8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6u3YarsRgXN2gfVy8
Beevo (aka Bill VanOrden)
Tempe, AZ
Spartan117
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by Spartan117 »

Even though I am an acorn-user that would profit of one or two inputs more (because of that 4bit-grey-code-turret on my Emcoturn), I must admit that I think the product acorn offers enough inputs and outputs for what it is: an affordable and easy way to enter the world of CNC with even an encoder-input.

Yes, it would be nice to have at least one more encoder-input for just a cheap MPG-wheel, but for the inputs and outputs you can upgrade with the Ether1616s if you need them, but you don't have to pay them if you don't.
And they still are pretty fast compared to other solutions out there...
My Eding CNC board for example was thinking about inputs for a veeery long time before doing anything :D

I really don't think that every device's fault-out needs it's own input.
On my router I connected them all to one external fault input: Vakuum-sensor for my vacuum table, 4 servo-controllers, temp and flow-sensor of spindle-cooler, limit-switches, vfd-fault-out, no problem at all. Every single fault needs a reset of the whole process, so I really don't get why they should have their own inputs.

What would be very nice to have is the ability to use two signals on one input in the wizard.
E.g. Home-All and Probe, that could easily be distinguished from each other by the actual commands
My Beamicon2 can be used that way and it works like a Charme.

Edit:
Ah, sorry, I didn't see the next page on my mobile here, so ignore most of the hardware-related stuff, plz :oops:
Gary Campbell
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Post by Gary Campbell »

On my router I connected them all to one external fault input: Vakuum-sensor for my vacuum table, 4 servo-controllers, temp and flow-sensor of spindle-cooler, limit-switches, vfd-fault-out, no problem at all. Every single fault needs a reset of the whole process, so I really don't get why they should have their own inputs.
I prefer discreet inputs, i.e., one device, one signal and one onscreen message.

If a limit shows as tripped, you get a message that tells which axis. Not: "Some limit tripped, Won't move"

In your example above, if a fault occurs and the system is 'estopped out", power is removed and it will be difficult to determine what the underlying cause is. Exponentially more difficult if you are trying to diagnose an intermittent problem.

In my ATC systems I use spindle stopped, spindle up to speed, spindle temp and VFD fault as discreet inputs from the VFD. 4 discreet inputs from the servos, 4 discreet inputs for autosquare homing, a drawbar sensor, tool present sensor from the spindle along with an air pressure sensor for the system. Toss in an input for the tool measure switch and a couple for the probe and voila!, filled up an AcornSIX! (or more)

I need the ability to look over a customer's error log and determine which device caused a fault not deal with an implied: "Something's wrong, STOPPED" message.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

Gary Campbell wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:16 am
I prefer discreet inputs, i.e., one device, one signal and one onscreen message.

If a limit shows as tripped, you get a message that tells which axis. Not: "Some limit tripped, Won't move"

In your example above, if a fault occurs and the system is 'estopped out", power is removed and it will be difficult to determine what the underlying cause is. Exponentially more difficult if you are trying to diagnose an intermittent problem.

In my ATC systems I use spindle stopped, spindle up to speed, spindle temp and VFD fault as discreet inputs from the VFD. 4 discreet inputs from the servos, 4 discreet inputs for autosquare homing, a drawbar sensor, tool present sensor from the spindle along with an air pressure sensor for the system. Toss in an input for the tool measure switch and a couple for the probe and voila!, filled up an AcornSIX! (or more)

I need the ability to look over a customer's error log and determine which device caused a fault not deal with an implied: "Something's wrong, STOPPED" message.
I concur with Gary. If you are building an industrial level machine, there are enough inputs and outputs for each axis function.
That said, a high percentage of Acorn users do not need that level of detail and Acorn handles things just fine and its an aggressively priced motion controller with industrial grade hardware and software from a company that does nothing BUT CNC Machine motion controls. Most other companies were developed because of the DIY CNC market. They don't necessarily have the experience that Centroid does. Centroid was created to out of the to upgrade old obsolete controls on industrial machines. Its what they do best.

Centroid is also aggressively continues to upgrade its hardware and software. Not just bug fixes (which they do very well) but feature enhancements.

Just my opinion. I'll stick with Centroid.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
rk9268vc

Post by rk9268vc »

So im not crazy for asking for more than one MPG hand wheel?
https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6966
The way no one responded made me think i was crazy haha.
2pg.PNG