Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Gecko 214 Wiring Diagram To Acorn

Post by Gary Campbell »

tuffduck wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:58 pm Many questions unanswered. Centroid testing only echoed what I already said I managed to accomplish.
Three axis were tested together
No tests under load were done
Why do Gecko 201 drives work and 214 with the revised wiring do not?
I have been running 2-201's and 1 - 214 since July but couldn't switch the 201's for 214's, why?
All suggestions and changes since July have been carried out and the problem still persisted.
I have attached a copy of this thread for the people at Geckodrive to review and see if they have any insight.
That's the right call. Assuming that the Acorn settings were the same, or correct for each set of drives, and the wiring was correct for each, Gecko would be the one to answer your questions.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
CNCMaryland
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA7CBF8b-103011290

Post by CNCMaryland »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:13 pm Are all the stepper motors the same make and model, all windings connected in the same manner?
From my reading they are not, and its what I suspect to be the real issue.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

CNCMaryland wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:56 am
martyscncgarage wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:13 pm Are all the stepper motors the same make and model, all windings connected in the same manner?
From my reading they are not, and its what I suspect to be the real issue.
Agreed...
I think if he had good quality steppers, his results may be different. I can say with experience if the motor current settings are not configured properly in the drives erratic motor behavior may result along with improper wiring. It is important to match drives, steppers and power supplies.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
tuffduck

Post by tuffduck »

I am sorry, that you totally missed what I was asking you to test.
Three drives, three motors under load at the same time to simulate a 3-axis machine. It is nice that you tested what you wanted to prove and succeeded.
martyscncgarage

tuffduck wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:02 pm I am sorry, that you totally missed what I was asking you to test.
Three drives, three motors under load at the same time to simulate a 3-axis machine. It is nice that you tested what you wanted to prove and succeeded.
Tuffduck,
I was sent two drives to test. I can assure you they both worked perfectly with a quality stepper motors and have NO reason to believe that they would not perform on a machine.

I believe you had a mix of motors. I think if you corrected this, you would likely be OK. If memory serves you had two motors with incomplete specifications. Double checking wiring and power supplies might be a good idea as well.

I am not an employee of Centroid. Just a user volunteering my time as so many others do on this forum in order to try and help other users.

I wish you continued luck with your project.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

martyscncgarage wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:12 pm
tuffduck wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:02 pm I am sorry, that you totally missed what I was asking you to test.
Tuffduck,
I was sent two drives to test. I can assure you they both worked perfectly with a quality stepper motors and have NO reason to believe that they would not perform on a machine.

I believe you had a mix of motors. I think if you corrected this, you would likely be OK. If memory serves you had two motors with incomplete specifications. Double checking wiring and power supplies might be a good idea as well.

I believe you saw the other user using the same drives with Acorn with no problems.

I am not an employee of Centroid. Just a user volunteering my time as so many others do on this forum in order to try and help other users.

I wish you continued luck with your project.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
tuffduck

Post by tuffduck »

Each drive was tested separately connected using to a 214 and each ran smoothly. I tested each motor with each drive with the same result. The information for each motor was complete. Each drive was checked with every micostep setting with each drive both singlely, then as pairs and finally all 3 together. Wiring and settings were double checked each time. After July 2021, Geckodrive changed the firmware. These are the drives I could not get to work together. You can check when the were manufactured by the passed sticker on the side of the drive.
Before making accusations, have all of the facts and read everything that people post.
I thank Marty for his efforts but someone at Centroid should thoroughly test the lastest drives with full compatibility. Just my take. As for other people having success, what version are they running. Version 2 and before definitely work.
tblough
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Why should Centroid be responsible for testing the drives? Centroid sells Etsun drives that they have tested and confirmed to work. If Gecko wishes to sell drives "compatible" with Acorn, they should test them.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
tuffduck

Post by tuffduck »

In the end it always rests with the end user. Thank you for pointing out that there is no certainty that the Geckodrives are 100 per cent compatible.
drdennis
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0927215221

Post by drdennis »

@tuffduck
The building components for these machines have two characteristics in common: 1) they are designed to map onto a couple common and robust (read noise immune) configurations, and 2) they are often very poorly documented. Consequently, with a bit of luck, one can set up a working system just by following recommendations. But when things don't work, it gets very tough. You need, sometimes significant electrical engineering expertise, combined with patience and discipline to systematically diagnose what's happening.

I don't use Gecko, but a brief look at the two specs (201 and 214) tells me that they are not designed to interchangeable (if I am to believe the specs). For example the indexer inputs seem to work on opposite edges (rising in 214, falling in 201). Something like that may or may not matter depending on the timing of the [undocumented] control signals coming from Acorn. There may be plenty little details like that, and my point is that you can't just start making random changes in a hope that everything will start working. As others suggested you may need to hit the books, or hire someone to help you.

As to your specific situation -- you have undesired coupling between the three axes. That has nothing to do with motors, or microstepping. That "walks and talks" if not reeks like an electrical problem, either in the power distribution (including EMI) or in the Acorn back end drivers (partially fried). There may be other causes, but those would be my guesses.

Cheers