Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Cuts not repeatable, I'm losing steps

Post by ShawnM »

slodat wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:33 am The advantage is DMM makes motors that bolt up to standard NEMA sizes. And, they work great when connected to DB25 on Acorn.
This was one of the main reasons I went with DMM, they offered motors that bolted directly to my Biesse Rover that is made in Italy. The bolt patterns for the DMM motors were the exact bolt pattern diameter on this machine. Also, the motor shaft sizes were the same as the old motor pulleys and gears. Everything bolted up and fit perfectly. I just had to decide between the DYN4 and the new DYN5 drive. There's a good jump in price but I decided to try the newest technology.

For the record I did contact Clearpath as I thought about going that route but they couldn't offer me direct bolt on motors. I had enough on my "retrofit plate" without having to worry about adaptor plates for motors and pulleys that wouldn't fit.

If Slodat and others are telling you that the motors work great, and have been for 3 years, why doubt this logic and just wire the drives to the DB25? Seems like a very simple solution to me.

I'm headed up to the shop shortly and we'll see if the DYN5 drive loses steps on the Acorn headers or not. I'll let you know.
slodat
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by slodat »

Thanks for the additional detail, Shawn. In my case, on all my machines the motor flange and shaft size were the same as a DMM servo offering. Pulleys/motor couplings and mounting flange bolted right up. This is significant when you don’t have support machinery to make or modify what you’d need to use metric motors offered by some of the other, arguably better, options.

Again, I’m very happy with my DYN4 machines and I have shared a reliable, working solution that costs nothing additional for those that have already bought the DYN4 drives and motors.

I haven’t tried Centroid’s newest configuration because the last time I was doing this was right at two years ago on my Tree J425 mill. It does make sense to me that it would work just fine.

Anyway, where I’m coming from and have always came from is wanting to contribute to this community by sharing what I’ve learned. I sincerely appreciate all of the help, support and cheering on that happens in here. I check this forum most days to see what questions are being asked and if I can help.

I just bought a new CNC Plasma from a major vendor and I’m sure I’ll be throwing WinCNC in the trash as soon as Centroid’s THC Acorn setup is released.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

slodat wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:07 am

I just bought a new CNC Plasma from a major vendor and I’m sure I’ll be throwing WinCNC in the trash as soon as Centroid’s THC Acorn setup is released.
hello. please share some photos of the plasma machine.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

slodat wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:33 am The advantage is DMM makes motors that bolt up to standard NEMA sizes. And, they work great when connected to DB25 on Acorn.
yep that is the major selling point for DMM .....the selection of bolt patterns etc..

ok...i'll revisit the wiring to Acorn one more time. going to connect up to DB25 on the bench and run a week long position test. :shock:
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
slodat

Post by slodat »

cnckeith wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:40 pm
slodat wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:07 am

hello. please share some photos of the plasma machine.
When I say "new", I mean it is still being built. One of the plasma beta testers has the same machine.
cnckeith wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:46 pm
yep that is the major selling point for DMM .....the selection of bolt patterns etc..

ok...i'll revisit the wiring to Acorn one more time. going to connect up to DB25 on the bench and run a week long position test. :shock:
Awesome! Thanks, Keith!
lavrgs
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by lavrgs »

cnckeith wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:46 pm

I'm going to be wiring up my machine for this testing as well....if you come up with the cable wiring that would be great...or I could draw something up for review...
Thanks for jumping on the grenade Keith
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

Ok here ya go.. DYN4 to Acorn DB25 draft schematic for testing. please let me know your results. dont' forget to edit the drive type in the wizard by changing mapping to DB25 in the mapping menu or import the drive type in the next post and use that.
DYN4_DB25-DRAFT.pdf
(166.72 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

draft Modified DYN4 to DB25 drive type.
DYN4_DB25.zip
(1.27 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
lavrgs
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by lavrgs »

I'm assuming that once you download the xml file it needs to be placed somewhere specific...?
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

You can "IMPORT" the drive settings on the "Axis Drive Type" page in the wizard. There's a button at the bottom of that page.

Thanks for doing this Keith. Hopefully this is the answer for those missed step issues that have plagued so many for so long with the DYN4. As slodat has stated he's been running his machine with no issues on the DB25.

I will forward you the DYN5 drive settings and schematic I created when I have everything tested and working.

Today I tested 2 of my 3 DYN5 drives with the Acorn and wanted to report back some news. Once I powered them up I ran the Auto Tune just to have a base line for the axis. I have the drives wired to the headers (the DYN5 has both 5v and 24v PUL and DIR inputs unlike the DYN4) to test for lost steps. The step rate is set to 400,00 steps/second in the wizard. I have the axis max jog rate set at 600 IPM. I created some g code that did the same as lavrgs did, I moved from 0 to +2 then to -2 about fifty times then return to 0 at the end. With the DMMDRV software running the "live trace" I ran the g code. It came back to the exact same encoder position EVERY time. I ran this test 4 or 5 times to be sure. Both my Z axis, which currently weighs about 70 pounds with an air assist ram) and my Y axis ran perfectly with no lost steps from the headers. The encoders both came back to the same starting count on every test. I have a video I made of the Y axis with my iPhone but after watching it myself it makes me a bit nauseous just watching it. :shock: