Software Part Design and G-Code Options

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

brightnight
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: (0035FF9127E0-1124204129)
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Software Part Design and G-Code Options

Post by brightnight »

I just finished building my mill and last night ran a simple sample program for the first time. I'm very familiar with SOLIDWORKS and OnShape for CAD design but was wondering what my options are for making designs (if those are the best choices), and what my options are for turning those designs into G-code that my machine can use. I'm planning to start learning on soft materials but also need to learn about feed rate, RPM, and all the different type of things that come with being new to using a mill.
Dave_C
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Re: Software Part Design and G-Code Options

Post by Dave_C »

First issue: Most CAD programs just need a post processor to make G-Code that will run on a Centroid machine. The post processor just needs to be a post processor made for your machine. For example, a post processor that makes g-Code for Mach 3 does not run on a Centroid machine.

Second issue: Learning feeds and speeds on a CNC machine and having no experience with a manual machine is not the best way to learn feeds and speeds. With a manual machine you can hear and feel when things are right and with CNC you just tend to break things if feeds and speeds are too high.

There are many free feeds and speeds calculators on the web, some produced by tool wholesalers but still they need some wisdom as most are made for MAX feeds and higher speeds than most of our spindles can handle.

CNC comes down to one simple thing! Don't over pack the flutes on your cutter with chips and you shouldn't break tools.

Start slow and then work up as you see the machine and tool is working well. Watch for chip welding if your doing aluminum as that can happen fast and when it does the end mill stops cutting and breaks. Lube is key and so is using cutters made for the metal you intend to cut.

A lot of people who have never ran a manual lathe of mill think that CNC solves all the problems that they might have encountered while trying to learn a manual machine when in fact CNC just speeds up the problems if you go at it wrong.

Just start slow,

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

For CAM, the cheapest route is probably a Fusion 360 subscription. If you want to stick with SolidWorks, I believe you get access to the 3-axis SolidWorks CAM package with a maintenance subscription, or you can purchase the add-on. There is also SolidCAM for SolidWorks, which I use, and there are stand-alone CAM packages, like MasterCAM that are available.

None of the above are free, and SolidCAM and MasterCAM are somewhat expensive for hobby use. I believe there are some inexpensive 3-axis CAM packages available; I'm just not familiar with them.

For speeds and feeds, I use HSMAdvisor. They also have a free, web-based, speed feed calculator with a limited range of materials that would probably work for you just starting out.

If you are primarily doing simple prismatic parts, give the built-in Centroid Intercon a try.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
ballsop123

Post by ballsop123 »

Look Up Fusion 360 from Autodesk .... It has everything you need including awesome CAM package and Post Processor library including one that works with Centroid equipped machines.

Best price for hobbyist or enthusiast .... FREE !!

Check out Youtube channel for Fusion 360 .... You wont be disappointed ...
lavrgs
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by lavrgs »

The free version of Fusion 360 is cool however for programming parts the free version only lets you post one toolpath at a time. Please tell me I'm wrong...I'm guessing you can post multiple toolpaths from the same part but they won't be in one file.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

lavrgs wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:42 pm The free version of Fusion 360 is cool however for programming parts the free version only lets you post one toolpath at a time. Please tell me I'm wrong...I'm guessing you can post multiple toolpaths from the same part but they won't be in one file.
If you mean can you post tool paths for different tools and have them in the same G-Code file? Then yes! I do that all the time.

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.