CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

major headache int tool offsets

Post by chessie »

hi

im having a bit of a nightmare and need some help .
I have a slant bed lathe with a quick change tool post
ive set all the od tools as per manual and YouTube and all is good .

t1 is ref tool od
and rear approach

I bored a hole and measured it 32.53 mm

when I set the id tools eg t9
I set ref x to 32.53 and touched off t9 , zeroed the original x offset in the table ,measure tool , measure x .save

the tool table populated with offset 65.94mm . the difference between t1 and t9 is only a couple of mm
if I then mdi t909 and press start ,the x position says -32.53mm instead of 32.53 mm

so im obviously doing something wrong or have a wrong setting somewhere on my cnc12 lathe software.
if any can see a glaringly obvious mistake ive made any help will be appreciated
thanks
Attachments
87F27FB7-48A2-4917-9F9A-4C1F20C071E2.jpeg
D169F31C-99DB-4552-9A93-39FFEB440929.jpeg
927F3CDF-0DF1-45B8-B608-80B67DB0767B.jpeg
322515BB-4412-4473-BBD0-7CC3F10DF0C4.jpeg
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: major headache int tool offsets

Post by cnckeith »

hi, to start off a support request, always post a fresh report.zip along with the g code program you are working with.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
chessie
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Post by chessie »

hi
zip file attached , no g code attached as im just trying to set tool table offsets

I guess I have some setting wrong as it is only for internal tools that I have a problem .
when t909 offset called with the tool actually in a position of say 32.53 hole diameter ,dro is showing -32.53

cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

have you followed the steps in the Lathe operator manual? the section on setting up tool offsets is pretty good. page 57

and review back to basics with this video on external dia tool setting as well.

viewtopic.php?p=11479#p11479
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

When I read his first post, it certainly looks to me like he is following the procedure described on page 57 of the Lathe operator's manual.

Keith: do you see any discrepancies, when you re-read his first post, with particular attention to the values in his screen shots?

Chessie: if you change the designation from "ID" to "OD", then measure that same tool in the same place with the same reference diameter entered, do you get the same (wrong) result? Or do you get a correct measurement?
cnc_smith

Post by cnc_smith »

cncsnw wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:48 pm When I read his first post, it certainly looks to me like he is following the procedure described on page 57 of the Lathe operator's manual.

Keith: do you see any discrepancies, when you re-read his first post, with particular attention to the values in his screen shots?

Chessie: if you change the designation from "ID" to "OD", then measure that same tool in the same place with the same reference diameter entered, do you get the same (wrong) result? Or do you get a correct measurement?
cncsnw,
I have looked at everything also and it looks correct. I am thinking there might be an issue in the software with being in metric. I know he is from UK and is using metric.

Chessie,
After trying what cncsnw suggested try changing tool orient to Front orient with X diam. at 32.53 There was an issue in earlier software version in imperial where you had to call an ID tool as Front orient instead of the ID orient when measuring tools. This might not have got corrected correctly for metric. As a note You are 4 hours ahead of us being in UK.
Dana

When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

cnc_smith wrote:After trying what cncsnw suggested try changing tool orient to Front orient with X diam. at 32.53 There was an issue in earlier software version in imperial where you had to call an ID tool as Front orient instead of the ID orient when measuring tools.
You will probably have to set Machine Parameter 163 to a value of 1, in order to be able to change individual tools between Front and Back approach.
chessie

Post by chessie »

thanks everyone

I did follow the manual and watched the video ,od tools perfect id tools is where it falls down . ive had this issue from day one but originally manually input the id tool offset to get around it . it maybe worth changing fig 5 on p60.

I changed the id to od as asked and it works fine ,its a good work around I just had to change it back after the measurement was populated.

I set parameter 163 to 1 and tried it again changing it to front and it didn't work it still populated the offset with 66mm.

So im presuming this is a glitch with the metric version of the software that can maybe be fixed on a future update .
Attachments
0A7B5B11-9CAD-4BA8-90AA-F5A9221793EC.jpeg
04E2A9F9-AC89-4D4A-B71A-8AD869B3F68D.jpeg
Muzzer
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Post by Muzzer »

cnc_smith wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:32 pm As a note You are 4 hours ahead of us being in UK.
Usually 5h for E coast (inc Pennslyvania) and 8h for W coast (California etc). Centroid is in Penn, so more likely to be 5h difference. Mid day in the UK is 7am at Centroid.
cnc_smith

Post by cnc_smith »

We are at this time on day light saving time so it is 4 hours. The first of November we go to standard time then 5 hours.
Dana

When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report.