Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 3699, 3788
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Laser/Router Work Flow

Post by mrp192 »

Sword wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:12 pm While G54, G55, etc. may work, I think it would be easier to have your post for the laser use a G52 XY offset for the laser. Have the post apply the offset at the start of the file and then reset it at the end. So, lets say that you set the XY location for your spindle tool at your intended location and run the spindle file, then you would run the laser file that applies the offset and then cancels the offset when finished. No need to maintain the relationship between two WCS. For example, if you have G54 and G55 set to the offset between the two and then happen to set G54 somewhere else, then G55 will not be right for the laser offset.

One caveat, if you happen to stop the laser file from finishing for some reason, the offset will remain active, so you would need to issue a G52 X0 Y0 to cancel it.

I like this. Really what I need to do is figure out a good way to attach the laser to a ISO30 and make it cannot rotate.
ShawnM
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Sword wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:12 pm While G54, G55, etc. may work, I think it would be easier to have your post for the laser use a G52 XY offset for the laser. Have the post apply the offset at the start of the file and then reset it at the end. So, lets say that you set the XY location for your spindle tool at your intended location and run the spindle file, then you would run the laser file that applies the offset and then cancels the offset when finished. No need to maintain the relationship between two WCS. For example, if you have G54 and G55 set to the offset between the two and then happen to set G54 somewhere else, then G55 will not be right for the laser offset.

One caveat, if you happen to stop the laser file from finishing for some reason, the offset will remain active, so you would need to issue a G52 X0 Y0 to cancel it.
Thanks for this tip Scott. I just started creating a post processor for the engraving pen on my Shopabre plasma table that now has the Acorn THC controller. I'm finding that using the G52 offset is much simpler in my opinion for my process since I can set the material anywhere. This plasma table has a laser pointer for finding X0Y0 and I can now have the PP apply the exact offset to the engraving tip. The pneumatic engraving pen solenoid is turned off and on with one of the Acorn outputs and it also raises and lowers the diamond tip to the material being engraved.

Thanks again for the tip. :D
Sword
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by Sword »

Cool! 8-)
Scott
Growls
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8E76D2-0827203678

Post by Growls »

Thanks to Scott, I have the post for my Acorn equipped Laguna IQ able to use the 4th axis. I am also able to use the Vectric Laser post to use my J Tech 7w laser. What I need now is to combine the two posts into one so that I can use the rotary axis (I wrap X along the Y axis so it is the B axis) and the laser at the same time. I am just getting my feet wet with the gcode. I tried to merge the two but I get an error in Aspire when I try to add the modified post.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cnc12 Router Pro V4.64
Clearpath SDSK servos on all 4 axis

report_80F5B52C0399-1028215307_2022-03-04_09-11-44.zip
Attachments
report_80F5B52C0399-1028215307_2022-03-04_09-11-44.zip
(871.03 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Sword

Post by Sword »

What is the error in Aspire. Zip up the pp file and post it for us to take a look at.
Scott
Growls

Post by Growls »

Ok, I will attach three files - the originals, and one that I modified.

I modified the Centroid_Laser_Inch_NoHop_Rotary.pp file.

Howard.
Attachments
Centroid_X_to_B_Rotary_TC.pp.txt
(5.69 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Centroid_Laser_Inch_NoZHop_Rotary.pp.txt
(7.83 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Centroid_Laser_Inch_NoZHop.pp.txt
(7.65 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Sword

Post by Sword »

I'm on Aspire 11.010 and I don't get an error. What is the error?
Scott
Growls

Post by Growls »

I could not load the Centroid_Laser_Inch_NoZhop_Rotary post processor earlier today. That is the one that I created by trying to combine the other two. All it said is there was an error and would not load. I am on Aspire 11.010 also. I just tried it again and it loaded, but I am not near my machine. I will try it in the morning and see what happens.
Growls

Post by Growls »

I did manage to load the post processor on Aspire 11.010 this morning and I was able to successfully create a toolpath. Much to my surprise, it worked. I was able to burn text onto a cylinder. It does not like different diameters though, as my test piece had both a cutout and a protruding 3d design. If you have any suggestions, please send them along. I know the Laser pp says no Z hop, but it would be nice if it could follow the shape of the cylinder. I am also going to test it on a tapered cylinder like a pool stick.
grossmsj

Post by grossmsj »

If you have any suggestions, please send them along. I know the Laser pp says no Z hop, but it would be nice if it could follow the shape of the cylinder.
Has anyone managed to get a PP working that can laser engrave on a rotary surface model? I'm going to be engraving on a tapered cylinder. Vectric can VCarve on that 3D model surface, but I'd like to laser engrave instead.