Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Exceeding travel

Post by martyscncgarage »

Pictures are worth a thousand words, videos a priceless.
Show how the machine homes and demonstrate you setting your part zero
Show you pressing F8 to graph the part before running the job so we can see the error.
Upload the video to YouTube, setting unlisted and share the link here

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
BillB
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by BillB »

Ok guys here are the supporting docs and info you requested.
I changed the WCS to G54 I did not realize i was set to wCS #18.
After that WCS change I did, however, manage to get tool 1 (master tool) to cut the part but when it changes to tool 3 (cut off tool #3) it errors out again with the same exceeding travel error.

I also make a couple of other changes to the part Zs from my 1st post and changed a couple of tool offsets hopefully this will not be an issue as Im still getting the error.

I went over this with you guys in the past and provided a video on it. just to confirm can someone tell me if my axis set up in wizard is set up correctly? Just want to make sure. as you can see machine homes to the right and down with limit switches next to the stepper motors.

lmk if a video is still needed, doing a video is pretty involved but will do it if you guys really need it.
Attachments
023.jpg
024.jpg
020.jpg
021.jpg
022.jpg
Machine Home
Machine Home
Bills 1st Intercon Program.lth
(526 Bytes) Downloaded 45 times
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Since you say you've made changes to the tool offsets and WCS, please post a new report as well so we also have the new settings.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

You have about 24" difference in X offsets, but the largest crosslide from sherline is 13" ;)

Uwe
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

The X offset values displayed on the Tool Library screen are diameter amounts (twice the amount of axis movement).

For what it's worth, when X offsets are listed in a Report file, they are radius amounts (actual axis movement).

Tools that are 12" apart on a gang tool setup should have a 24" difference in offsets, as displayed on the Tool Library screen.

Nonetheless, it is likely that the remaining issues still relate to setting X axis part zero and measuring tool X offsets.

Bill: you can "test drive" your part zero and tool offset settings in MDI. For example:

Code: Select all

G54
T0101
... then jog the axes from one software limit to the other, and see what DRO positions you can reach with tool #1, and note whether the DRO positions accurately reflect the distance from part zero (spindle centerline, face of stock).

Then switch to a different tool and offsets:

T0303
... and jog that tool to the limits, and also to part zero, and see what the DRO says.
BillB

Post by BillB »

suntravel wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:27 am You have about 24" difference in X offsets, but the largest crosslide from sherline is 13" ;)

Uwe
The chucker lathe is offered with optional 18” base and 18” x slide and this is the machine I have.
BillB

Post by BillB »

cncsnw wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:52 pm The X offset values displayed on the Tool Library screen are diameter amounts (twice the amount of axis movement).

For what it's worth, when X offsets are listed in a Report file, they are radius amounts (actual axis movement).

Tools that are 12" apart on a gang tool setup should have a 24" difference in offsets, as displayed on the Tool Library screen.

Nonetheless, it is likely that the remaining issues still relate to setting X axis part zero and measuring tool X offsets.

Bill: you can "test drive" your part zero and tool offset settings in MDI. For example:

G54
T0101
... then jog the axes from one software limit to the other, and see what DRO positions you can reach with tool #1, and note whether the DRO positions accurately reflect the distance from part zero (spindle centerline, face of stock).

Then switch to a different tool and offsets:

T0303
... and jog that tool to the limits, and also to part zero, and see what the DRO says.
here's a new report

"I think" what is going on here is when I make changes to my offsets (or redue them) the values are not changing. I realized this last night. I can't even Zero them out when selecting, highlighting and hitting delate OR 0 the values stay the same as the current values? IS there a setting somewhere I have accidentally set to not allow changes ???

The only tools I'm trying to get dialed in RN is #1 #3 to do a simple profile and cut off opp. I've changed offsets on T3 several times and my offset is currently 14.7218 when the physical measured (with a tape measure is about 11.875? from my master tool. The fact that it should be almost 24 inches is one thing but my numbers are off by about 2.84 inches or so. What is going on here?

Why can't I zero out my offset fields?
and why are my offset fields not changing?
Attachments
report_6433DB044D1E-0623214856_2022-01-02_13-50-33.zip
(635.99 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Press F4 to switch the manual entry mode from Incremental to Absolute.

This not only affects manually-entered offset values, but it also affects the values you enter for the X Reference Diameter before measuring offsets.
BillB

Post by BillB »

cncsnw wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:32 pm Press F4 to switch the manual entry mode from Incremental to Absolute.

This not only affects manually-entered offset values, but it also affects the values you enter for the X Reference Diameter before measuring offsets.
Ok that helped I was in incremental mode I had no idea. I will read up on that but what is the difference? I Redid all my part and tool offsets and resolved the exceeding travel errors, so that's good. BUT have a question on setting X offset reference. Are you only supposed to set the X reference offset for the master tool??? OR set it for each tool? I've gone through the same steps with 3 tools and when setting the X offset reference its now changed to the last tool I defined and all 3 tools have that same X reference offset Shouldedt each tool have its own X (Reference) offset as it is set based on your skim cut Dia?
Attachments
026.jpg
026.jpg (137.39 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
027.jpg
027.jpg (135.28 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
028.jpg
BillB

Post by BillB »

Can someone address my question from the above post?

Is each tools X Di offset supposed to display in the lower left of the offset page (X diameter) when selected? OR is that referring ONLY to the master tool?