Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

My Sherline Chucker lathe with Acorn control build

Post by BillB »

I decided to separate my mill and lathe build theads as not to overly confuse the dialog on the 2 machines in regards to what machine Im asking about and others looking through this thread in the future.
BillB
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Re: My Sherline Chucker lathe with Acorn control

Post by BillB »

As I start getting into the final setup of my chucker lathe I wanted to ask if some of you can point me in the direction of some videos for basic setup info for a gang tool type CNC lathe. I will be setting up tools on both sides if the stock. I have lots of CNC mill experience but NO CNC lathe experience at all, I have however run a manual lathe for years and know the basics when it comes to manual work. I will lean on the documentation from Sherline but its only going to get me so far since their control is not Acorn.

Obviously, there is CNC12 Lathe manual, but I'm looking for some overview info as a starting point.

cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: My Sherline Chucker lathe with Acorn control build

Post by cnckeith »

Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
BillB

Post by BillB »

cnckeith wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:14 pm viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1138
Thanks, Marty provided that thread as well, a good read. gotta go through it again.
BillB

Post by BillB »

Hey all I started learning lathe set up and been looking for options for setting tool offsets for a Lathe. There is not much out there for cheep!

Anyone know of a cost effective option FYI, my machine is small so can not chuck up anything larger than 1/2 di. using 3C collet that needs to go into the spindle bore so it needs to be a really small length and diameter.

Saw this on eBay but not exactly sure what and how it would work since it has no wired connection to the control. Can someone explain what this is?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393578867921

I’m even open to a DIY option. After doing tooling set up on the lathe only 2 times so far I’m feeling like, wow this sucks! It’s a PIA. I’m on a gang tool lathe with fixed vertical tooling offsets, the holders are located dead center to the spindle vertically but need to be indicated in, in X.

Gotta be a better way to do this even at this small scale.

Can a tool probe be located anywhere you would want to mount it like a industrial machine where the tool probe is mounted to a movable arm?
tblough
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Skim cut and a micrometer are your best and most accurate bet. A skim cut takes into account tool/machine deflection. Tool setters need very rigid machines and the moveable arms are very precise pieces of kit to maintain almost zero play. Not something you'll be able to duplicate on a DIY budget.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
BillB

Post by BillB »

tblough wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:19 pm Skim cut and a micrometer are your best and most accurate bet. A skim cut takes into account tool/machine deflection. Tool setters need very rigid machines and the moveable arms are very precise pieces of kit to maintain almost zero play. Not something you'll be able to duplicate on a DIY budget.
I thinking something that is installed in the collet.
Richards

Post by Richards »

Tell us more about the sequence of cuts that you'll do with the lathe. Franco's video showing how he uses his chucker lathe, shows a workable solution. If I were setting up a lathe for production runs, I would use raw stock that was a little oversize in diameter and length. My first cuts would trim the part to length. My second cuts would trim the part to proper diameter. Those cuts might require air cuts if there is a significant variation in the size of the raw material. Once the raw material has been trimmed to proper length and diameter, all other cuts and tools could use a standard starting offset.
-Mike Richards
tblough
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

It would need to be a dedicated tool holder. Most collets are +-0.001" accuracy.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
BillB

Post by BillB »

Richards wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:44 am Tell us more about the sequence of cuts that you'll do with the lathe. Franco's video showing how he uses his chucker lathe, shows a workable solution. If I were setting up a lathe for production runs, I would use raw stock that was a little oversize in diameter and length. My first cuts would trim the part to length. My second cuts would trim the part to proper diameter. Those cuts might require air cuts if there is a significant variation in the size of the raw material. Once the raw material has been trimmed to proper length and diameter, all other cuts and tools could use a standard starting offset.
Im following the manual exactly. I'll say one thing for sure it's sure not very elegant, Leaning electronics is one thing, LOL but learning Lathe tool offsets in CNC12 of darn right clunky! A simple step-by-step wizard would be nice to streamline the process. Hopefully, I won't offend anyone but the process could be streamlined for the newbies! Im still wrapping my head around the process.