Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

G52 getting cleared by probing?

Post by Toaster »

Hey everyone, here's something I'm working through... For context I have a 4x8 router table. My table is two layers: A base layer with a plenum, and a spoilboard on top.

The spoilboard gets beat up and gets smoothed off with a big surfacing bit.

The spoilboard has been glued down to the base. I have just rebuilt my table and I'm now making that spoilboard removable. I have instances where I want to put work right on the base layer.

Also for context I have a fixed touch off plate. I have an ATC as well.

What I've been doing up until now is measuring all of my tools to a fixed touch off plate. The tool length equals the top of that spoilboard. As I remove material from the spoilboard I adjust the tool lengths by either re-measuring them or adding X amount to each as the spoilboard gets thinner.

Since now I have a removable spoilboard I thought I'd be clever by doing this:

Setting all of my tool lengths to the BASE layer, and then adding a G52 offset for the thickness of my spoilboard. If I take the spoilboard off, just set G52 Z to zero and I'm good to go.

This all worked great until I probed... It seems that the probing cycles remove any G52 offsets, or at least for Z. Is this supposed to happen? If so is there way to disable it?:
cncsnw

Re: G52 getting cleared by probing?

Post by cncsnw »

That is by design.

It is expected that G52 will be used for temporary work shifts within a job. Therefore it makes sense to cancel any G52 offset when you do a fresh setup (e.g. by probing on the Part Setup screen). Otherwise, leftover G52 offsets would lead to unexpected results the next time a job tried to make use of G52 for an ordinary, temporary, shift.

Maintaining a G52 offset long-term was not part of the plan.
Toaster
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: G52 getting cleared by probing?

Post by Toaster »

I had a feeling that might be the case. Thanks!