Loosing Ethernet connection and it wipes my settings.

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

TaylorPilot
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Loosing Ethernet connection and it wipes my settings.

Post by TaylorPilot »

I have been using my machine for a few weeks shaking it out and the connection has been rock solid, but starting 2 days ago (after installing a dust collector), I have lost ethernet connection twice and each time it does it, it resets all my soft limits in the configuration, and this last time, unpaired my Y slave. The only thing that has changed is that I have added the dust collection. I am assuming/hoping that static electricity is the culprit. I have my ethernet running through a fitting, but it is shielded as well (I check continuity between the end going into the computer and the end going into ACORN). Does the DC static seem like a possible issue? How do you go about grounding a clear flex DC hose? I know it has a wire running through it, but the entire thing seems to be coated.
Attachments
report_402E71EB8251-0310214479_2021-09-21_10-39-55.zip
(236.12 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
ShawnM
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832
CNC12: Yes

Re: Loosing Ethernet connection and it wipes my settings.

Post by ShawnM »

That's exactly what it is, static electricity. Do you have a copper ground wire running inside the hose? Not the spiral wire that's part of the hose. I had this same issue on a machine I retrofit for a local customer. I could see tiny electrical arcs from the dust boot to the spindle when he was running it. There are many youtube videos on grounding your dust collection depending on your hose/tubing and so on.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

TaylorPilot wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:49 am I have been using my machine for a few weeks shaking it out and the connection has been rock solid, but starting 2 days ago (after installing a dust collector), I have lost ethernet connection twice and each time it does it, it resets all my soft limits in the configuration, and this last time, unpaired my Y slave. The only thing that has changed is that I have added the dust collection. I am assuming/hoping that static electricity is the culprit. I have my ethernet running through a fitting, but it is shielded as well (I check continuity between the end going into the computer and the end going into ACORN). Does the DC static seem like a possible issue? How do you go about grounding a clear flex DC hose? I know it has a wire running through it, but the entire thing seems to be coated.
Shawn said it best.
I can't open your report. Its no good.
Please repost the report.

Taking and posting pictures of your setup and control cabinet would be a help.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
TaylorPilot
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC12: No

Post by TaylorPilot »

I ran a copper 18 awg wire through the hose, and grounded it to the DC earlier today. I removed the ethernet fitting and the 3' leader cable in the case and plugged directly into the ACORN from the computer, and I haven't had an issue. If I don't have issues, I may try putting the fitting back in, and see if it still doesn't come back. Hopefully it is fixed.