CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: First Build: Shopbot Upgrade

Post by Gary Campbell »

Brian...
As I suggested above, I would check to see the condition of the OEM motors first. If good enough for your first project, You then can build a system that accommodates them using drives that are low amperage and high inductance. Gecko products will do this. If not, then use drives that are higher output, I recommend LeadShine products as they are quieter, and produce more power with less heat. My SB G5X basic controller (built and sold by one of my sub builders) copies the function of the original controller, but with an Acorn for control, starts at $1695.

I don't believe direct drive is a viable option, so motors and gearboxes are going to be a substantial cost. (I sell a N23 motor, gearbox swing plate adapter for around $400 ea in groups of 4). I do not recommend using anything larger than a ~430 ozin NEMA23 motor on a PRT frame, they just are too weak.

As a DIYer for almost a couple decades, I hesitate in todays world to make recommendations as it has come back to bite me too many times in the past. The world has changed from DIY to DIWIER (Do It With Internet Expert Responses). That said, you are in a great position to learn some very interesting lessons in technology and find out how some fun and rewarding technology works. Unless I tell you everything to do, then you might learn how to wire a couple stepper drives.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
cvmakerspace
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by cvmakerspace »

Gary:

This is the info I was looking for. I was struggling with the torque requirements and various motor types. I think I am going to go with an acorn controller and Gecko drives just to get things moving.

We are really excited to get this beast (shopbot) moving again!
Gary Campbell
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Post by Gary Campbell »

Make sure you start a build thread and show your progress. There are LOTS of shopbotters that want to "ditch the twitch" of their flakey controller, but are too frugal to buy one of my products. 😁
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos