Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Custom configuration. OR. NOT

Post by BillB »

Hey all I’ve started my driver set up in the wizard and not sure we’re to go from here. My machine is a Sherline 5400 mill and chucker lathe. I’m using the off the shelf Sherline 4 axis driver box. Im focused on the mill first.

I assume I need to create a custom configuration as I have no idea what would be the closest set up to the Sherline drivers. Trying to get threw the manual I get stuck, Ive watched Marty’s video for wizard set up, but he is picking the the closest drive configuration to the driver he is using, not creating a custom configuration. Since I have no idea what configuration is closest to the Shereline driver box how do I know where to start and what settings to configure? Do I do a custom configuration OR should choose one of the existing configurations and tweak it?

I’ve reached out to the guys at Sherline and they have provided me with axis configuration and homing and travel info whitch I have entered into the custom Sherline configuration I have started. See screen shots. This is the only info they have sent so far I assume that is really all I need from them.

I’ve tested my Estop and limit switches and they are all good.

Attachments
564CCA62-9EF2-4042-9EC2-A7A2E453B3C2.png
9873460D-1F09-414F-AA91-B8BF30793C79.png
Richards
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Custom configuration. OR. NOT

Post by Richards »

Making a custom configuration is not difficult. You'll simply enter the information for each Wizard screen that is required for your system.

Open Wizard.
Axis
Configuration.

Steps / Revolution
Enter the number of step pulses required to turn your motor's shaft one revolution. I have ClearPath SDSK-2321S-RLN servos. They default to 800 steps per revolution. I've changed mine to 6,400 steps per revolution. I used Teknic's software to change the number of steps for each servo and then I entered 6,400 in Wizard's Steps / Revolution.

Overall Turns Ratio
Enter the number of times that your ball-screw or lead screw turns per inch of travel. My 5mm ball-screws move 0.1969 inches per revolution, so 1 inch / 0.1969 = 5.08 overall turns ratio.

Set the other Axis/Configuration parameters as required for your system.

Axis
Advanced

Step Rate
I can drive the ClearPath servos at 400,000 steps per second, so I selected that rate. Steppers might require 100,000 or 200,000 steps per second.

Set other Axis / Advanced parameters as required.

For me, that was basically all that I needed to do. I saved that configuration. Restarted the software as directed and then opened Wizard again. This time, under Primary System / Axis Drive Type, I selected Custom, clicked Create New, entered a name for my custom system (SDSK-2321S-RLN), saved the configuration, and restarted the software as directed.

Carefully look at each parameter on each screen and determine whether the default setting works for you or whether you need to customize that setting.
-Mike Richards