Clearpath MCVC Spindle Motor Control - Solved (Mike R is an absolute legend)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

kilo7
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 74E182A80DDE-0312191753
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Clearpath MCVC Spindle Motor Control - Solved (Mike R is an absolute legend)

Post by kilo7 »

The clearpath MCxx versions are quite good . MCVC install methods covered in this thread are a great help.
Tech bulletin and schematic compilation would be great. Thanks to all for this.
In my study of these various methods , one thing stands out , that being noise immunity.The ASU-FR510 Analog Send Unit (A/D converter) that clearpath offers for 0-10vdc analog from acorn to digital signals out to MCVC motor is one option as mentioned. It Seems when converting anything there is some loss of some kind ,performance or signal . Loss to noise on digital line would be an concern ?
My question is ,in the methods by using PWM to control the servo CW / CCW and Dir , either unipolar or bipolar, what is the best noise immune way to wire this ? Or is this even a problem. $60 + shipping for the clearpath asu-fr510 A/D board , or a shielded digital chunk of wire (PWM signal from Acorn DB25 ?
A job worth doing “right", is!
friolator
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Re: Clearpath MCVC Spindle Motor Control - Solved (Mike R is an absolute legend)

Post by friolator »

cnckeith wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:54 pm great info, once finalized, please post latest working configurations and maybe a video demo. and i will gather and compile info into a Tech Bulletin and create a centroid schematic for others to use in the future.
Was a tech bulletin on this ever made? I could only find one for SDSK motors. Trying to decide if I should wire up the MCVC or MCPV for my lathe spindle motor via PWM as described in this thread, or with a 0-10V to PWM board, as Teknic recommended when I emailed them. The method in this thread is interesting to me because it's one less thing to have to have in the control box, but I'm not really sure I want to modify the cable to the relay board as described.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

friolator wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:47 pm
cnckeith wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:54 pm great info, once finalized, please post latest working configurations and maybe a video demo. and i will gather and compile info into a Tech Bulletin and create a centroid schematic for others to use in the future.
Was a tech bulletin on this ever made? I could only find one for SDSK motors. Trying to decide if I should wire up the MCVC or MCPV for my lathe spindle motor via PWM as described in this thread, or with a 0-10V to PWM board, as Teknic recommended when I emailed them. The method in this thread is interesting to me because it's one less thing to have to have in the control box, but I'm not really sure I want to modify the cable to the relay board as described.
i didn't see any confirmation of the final working setup and configuration. did i miss it?
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
gMike

Post by gMike »

Hi Keith,

FYI There is still an issue with this method as the spindle self starts while the acorn boots (Random burst of PWM signal). There is another thread covering the self start issue, I can only get so far in my spare time and I am not yet comfortable my homebrew solution is a complete fix...it has improved but not eliminated the issue.

https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=7238

I am not a pro like you guys but happy to help where I can.

gMike
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

Easy way to solve this is a timer relay in the servo enable wire active at power on.

Uwe
gMike

Post by gMike »

Yeah 100% that was my homebrew solution to, I think was using 5 second delay which didn't fully solve it, perhaps 10 second would. I had to move house twice since this work and haven't been able to go back an verify time duration required. Am only just getting back into the workshop now after quite some time.
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Or, start the machine with the e-stop engaged. Good practice for any machine.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.