Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: My Sherline chucker lathe & 5400 mill with Acorn control build

Post by martyscncgarage »

To put it bluntly, you don't have something configured correctly.
We can't tell you what it is with out seeing where your 3 home switches are, and how each are being tripped and seeing a FRESH report. You could post a video showing us where the switches are and manually moving each axis toward the switches to trip them.

Your 3 home switches must all be normally closed and wired in series. One end other withe to Acorn power supply common and the other end to input 1.

You can also watch the diagnostic screen while the machine homes. To toggle it on and off, press Alt I
Top row far left first LED is input 1. Using your cursor keys move the box around it. Confirm it is HomeAll by looking at the Legend.

Hope this gives you more information to help.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
ShawnM
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by ShawnM »

Pictures would certainly help but he did state that the x axis switch is on the table and the y axis switch is on the base. I'm not a mill person like Marty is but he's right, something is simply not configured correctly.

Bill, stop worrying about keyboard keys and button configurations for your lathe setup, you need to get the machine configured correctly FIRST. What you are attempting is totally out in left field to save a few bucks and it's costing you so much extra time and headaches, is this really worth it? This is like watching a train wreck in slow motion.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

ShawnM wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:39 am Pictures would certainly help but he did state that the x axis switch is on the table and the y axis switch is on the base. I'm not a mill person like Marty is but he's right, something is simply not configured correctly.

Bill, stop worrying about keyboard keys and button configurations for your lathe setup, you need to get the machine configured correctly FIRST. What you are attempting is totally out in left field to save a few bucks and it's costing you so much extra time and headaches, is this really worth it? This is like watching a train wreck in slow motion.
Shawn,
I don't want to IMAGINE where they are, I want to SEE where they are. Pictures video clip would clarify.
What the poster says/perceives and where they are actually placed are not the same sometimes

We can give good advice if we can actually SEE things more clearly. We are doing a lot of back and forth which takes time.
Pictures, screenshots, videos, and posting a report are not so hard to do with smart phone technology.
AND Centroid staff will rarely respond unless a FRESH Report is posted. There is much information in a report.

Bill is obviously new to this, we all want to avoid the frustration and move him on to the next step. More clear information will help us get him there.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:48 am Shawn,
I don't want to IMAGINE where they are, I want to SEE where they are. Pictures video clip would clarify.
What the poster says/perceives and where they are actually placed are not the same sometimes

We can give good advice if we can actually SEE things more clearly. We are doing a lot of back and forth which takes time.
Pictures, screenshots, videos, and posting a report are not so hard to do with smart phone technology.
AND Centroid staff will rarely respond unless a FRESH Report is posted. There is much information in a report.

Bill is obviously new to this, we all want to avoid the frustration and move him on to the next step. More clear information will help us get him there.

Marty
I agree with you 100%, I'm just conveying what I read as I understand it. Good luck with this.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

I created a quickie video. Perhaps it will help. I am demonstrating on my router, but it still pertains to the mill.
First, make sure your home switches are normally closed and in series
Second, wire one end to an Acorn input and assign that input HomeAll. Wire the other end to Acorn Power supply COM
Third, bring up the diagnostic display (press Alt i combination on the keyboard to toggle the diagnostic display on and off) Your HomeAll input should be visible and it should be GREEN. Manually press each axis' home switch to test.
Fourth, go into the Wizard Home and Limit screen and configure appropriately for your machine, You need to now which end of each axis your Home switch trips, you need to know how much travel that axis has.

This video basically demonstrates this:
Mesa, AZ
BillB

Post by BillB »

tblough wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:13 am
BillB wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:56 pm
tblough wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:34 pm You should be able to jog off the switch using the X1 jog setting.
Hey there been trolling threw the CNC 12 manual today but not finding this X1 jog setting, could you give me more input on it or were it is in the manual. I would appreciate it.
Three white buttons in the center of the VCP labeled X1, X10, X100. Mill manual, section 2.4, pg. 18.
Incremental move? Nope just tried it does not work for me? Covered that page in the manual as well and there is nothing indicating that incremental move will override a tripped limit switch. If you have done this on your system I look forward to any other input if you can offer, it dose not work for me.
BillB

Post by BillB »

Hey guys here are some vids to clear things up on my setup, as well as a fresh report.

Please note the most recent report is 9-19-21 10:43PM.

Marty sorry about the misunderstanding I will for sure provide a new fresh report each time I post when it is in regards to a setup configuration question. I did not realize you wanted one for every relative post.

As per many of my posts, the switches are normally closed.

ShawnM if you are still here I am not using switches on the far end of the Axis.

Axis Tripping switches

Diagnostics and wiring

Attachments
report_6433DB044D1E-0623214856_2021-09-19_22-43-17.zip
(789.77 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Bill, you have a wiring issue as you are tripping the "emergency stop" at the same time you trigger your limit switches. This is why the machine comes to a complete halt and nothing else happens when you try to home it. When you watch your diagnostic screen as you trip the limit switches both 1 and 8 change state. This is a wiring problem. The two should not be wired together anywhere. They are separate circuits.
Nigelo
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA80C8B8-0905181172
E415F6F70BC3-0318203049
98F07B91FC6B-0123236802

Post by Nigelo »

Bill, your Boot up and Homing problem video shows an Emergency Stop being triggered whilst homing as you yourself have noted. This indicates that your physical wiring is not correct with the E-stop somehow sharing an input with the home switch(es). Whilst you can use a single input for the 3 (or 4) axes homing switches in series, the E-Stop must use a separate input. I have no idea whether this is intentional or accidental but either way it is wrong.
In addition, your report shows many repeat E-stops, just seconds apart and quite a few MPU requested resends.

As both Shawn and Marty have stated on your various threads, the lack of colour coded cabling and trying to configure both Mill and Lathe to the same Acorn board is massively complicating your efforts. At the very least stick to one machine only (say Mill) and get that properly configured and running, saving all settings by creating report and carefully noting all wiring connections. Then completely disconnect Mill get the lathe set up. Only at this stage can you make a decision whether to fart around with 2 machines on a single board or not - I suspect not.

Good luck and hope this helps
"You can lead a horse to water but you cannot force it to drink"
Hope this helps
Nigel
Nigelo
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA80C8B8-0905181172
E415F6F70BC3-0318203049
98F07B91FC6B-0123236802