Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

ATC tool rack - tool cups or fingers?

Post by ShawnM »

I’m curious to the pros and cons of each tool rack type. Would you prefer tool cups or fingers? Why?

I’m retrofitting a Biesse Rover router from a pod and rail to a flat table and it has a HSD ATC spindle but it never had a tool rack. It has ISO30 tool holders and I’m trying to figure out what type of tool rack to build for this machine. I’m leaning towards the tool cups but wondering if the fingers are better. Please let me know what you’d prefer and why or is one better than the other.

Thanks,
Shawn
Gary Campbell
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Re: ATC tool rack - tool cups or fingers?

Post by Gary Campbell »

If the cones are kept clean, the cups work ok. If the cones stick at all you will wish you had used the forks. I do a dozen ATC machines a year, maybe one gets cups due to lack of table space
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
ShawnM
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Re: ATC tool rack - tool cups or fingers?

Post by ShawnM »

Thanks Gary, I think I've seen a video of yours with some white, HDPE or other plastic cups on a sliding rack. Seems to work ok but I can see that if the cup gets any debris it could be an issue. I've looked at some cup racks and I'd put a nice taper on the bottom stop so anything that did get in there would slid out. I'd also make them from HDPE so they are slippery. Just seems simpler than the forks but this is why I'm asking the questions now, to help sway me one way or the other.

The only other issue I see is my fly cutter wont fit in one. Luckily I only use it about every 3 months so again not a huge issue. I route mostly aluminum and plastics with my largest cutter being 1/4" O flute bits.

My other plan is a pneumatic sliding finger rack similar to your video where the tool comes down and the finger moves to it and then retracts out of the way. I've seen many options and I'm just trying to find the best mouse trap I guess.

Thanks for the reply.