VCP buttons do not move correct axes, redux (Resolved)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

tfhess
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D2694D8E8B-0320180746
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

VCP buttons do not move correct axes, redux (Resolved)

Post by tfhess »

Marty or Keith:
Did anyone follow up on what exactly bogends problem was (May 16- VCP buttons move wrong axes) on VCP buttons not working. I know he got his system to work, but it would be good to know what was going on because I have the same problem. VCP buttons move wrong axes, both Z+ and X+ buttons move the A+ axis; both the Z and X axes cannot be moved in the plus direction with the VCP. The A- and A+ buttons work correctly. And all axes move correctly using the MDI. My 4.64 was set up on a clean install and manually repopulated with data using the wizard rather than a report restore.
Tom
Attachments
report_0035FF8F5DAB-1010192560_2021-08-07_10-15-15.zip
(666.53 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
cncsnw

Re: VCP buttons do not move correct axes, redux

Post by cncsnw »

In the file c:\cnct\resources\vcp\buttons\x_positive_rear_mount\x_positive_rear_mount.xml, change "skin_event_num" from 31 to 33.

In the file c:\cnct\resources\vcp\buttons\lathe_z_positive\lathe_z_positive.xml, change "skin_event_num" from 41 to 39.
Last edited by cncsnw on Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: 8/8/21 corrected to reflect lathe Z jog key, rather than mill (per Tom's response)
tfhess

Post by tfhess »

Thanks! Making some progress - the X axis moves correctly now, but Z axis + direction still moved the A axis. I tried resetting the xml files in lathe_z_negative and lathe_z_positive folders to the above numbers rather than the z_negative and z_positive folders. This seems to correct the X+ movement (the xml in lathe_z_negative was already set correctly).

Unfortunately, my MDI does not work now (sends x and z axes to negative limit switch with any commanded + or - move). I don't know if this is related to the changes made or an entirely separate problem. The MDI used to work.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

VCP changes would not affect MDI-programmed moves.

If your axes run away (i.e. move all the way to the minus limit, regardless of the commanded distance or direction) then you have an axis control signal problem. What exactly that could be, depends on the type of stepper or servo drives you are using, and how you have them wired.
tfhess

Post by tfhess »

OK, true, but previously the MDI worked correctly. That leads me to believe there is an intermittent problem as I have not changed the wiring from when they worked correctly with the MDI. So how is it that the VCP buttons can command correct moves (now after value reassignment), but MDI cannot? That sounds software related rather than hardware related.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Try moving the A axis to axis 3 instead of 4 (lathe only)
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
tfhess

Post by tfhess »

Marty, I assume you meant on the VCP buttons. I just removed the lines of code for the excess A buttons on VCP on axis 3 (although they all worked correctly). That along with what CNCSNW suggested seems to have solved the problem. The MDI problem apparently was a temporary glich and went away with a restart. Thanks all for the solutions!
Tom
janger
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: No

Re: VCP buttons do not move correct axes, redux (Resolved)

Post by janger »

I had to make a third change. I found the X- button moved my A axis instead. To fix I changed

In the file c:\cnct\resources\vcp\buttons\lathe_x_negative_front_mount\x_negative_front_mount.xml, change "skin_event_num" from 31 to 33.
Hercus lathe upgraded to centroid acorn.