CNC Control System Serial Number: 3699, 3788
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Emco PC Turn 50 ATC issue

Post by mrp192 »

Hey everyone,
So finally got around to getting my little lathe going and as of right now the issue I am having is when I go to index the turret it will time out after a few seconds. Not totally sure if the turret inputs are NC or NO I have been trying to switch them around but so far no luck.

Another thing I have noticed is I believe this drawing has an error. It has 12V going for one direction but when it gets reversed to me it looks like it is getting 24v.

Thanks for the help,
Brent
Attachments
Turret error.png
report_0035FF622356-0206214342_2021-07-31_20-52-35.zip
(677.32 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Emco PC Turn 50 ATC issue

Post by cnckeith »

not an error.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
martyscncgarage
Oak CNC controller: No

Post by martyscncgarage »

You are using the DB25 to connect the sensors correct? DB 25 inputs are 5V logic, Acorn input headers stand at +24VDC DO NOT CONNECT your turret sensors to the Acorn header. Assuming you are using Schematic S14986 for the PC55?

The small turret uses a higher voltage to roll the turret forward and lesser voltage to roll it backward against the pawl.
The LM2596 is an adjustable DC to DC converter, used to drop the voltage. If memory serves the forward voltage is 12VDC and the reverse holding voltage is 5-6VDC. So you would provide your own 12VDC power supply for the turret motor, and use the DC to DC converter to cut that voltage to less than half. Google Search PC 50 Turret Voltage to be sure. I would NOT apply 24VDC to that turret motor. Centroid does not put the voltage on the schematic because it might be slightly different and its up to the user to find how what the turret motor operating voltage is.

Use the Search box to search for Emco Turret you'll get a lot of hits.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
mrp192
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by mrp192 »

martyscncgarage wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:47 am You are using the DB25 to connect the sensors correct? DB 25 inputs are 5V logic, Acorn input headers stand at +24VDC DO NOT CONNECT your turret sensors to the Acorn header. Assuming you are using Schematic S14986 for the PC55?

The small turret uses a higher voltage to roll the turret forward and lesser voltage to roll it backward against the pawl.
The LM2596 is an adjustable DC to DC converter, used to drop the voltage. If memory serves the forward voltage is 12VDC and the reverse holding voltage is 5-6VDC. So you would provide your own 12VDC power supply for the turret motor, and use the DC to DC converter to cut that voltage to less than half. Google Search PC 50 Turret Voltage to be sure. I would NOT apply 24VDC to that turret motor. Centroid does not put the voltage on the schematic because it might be slightly different and its up to the user to find how what the turret motor operating voltage is.

Marty
I have the turret moving with 12 volts. Ill send a picture when I get off work today of how I make that circuit.

So what my actual issue is that when I index the turret it will time out.
martyscncgarage

mrp192 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:14 am
martyscncgarage wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:47 am You are using the DB25 to connect the sensors correct? DB 25 inputs are 5V logic, Acorn input headers stand at +24VDC DO NOT CONNECT your turret sensors to the Acorn header. Assuming you are using Schematic S14986 for the PC55?

Marty
I have the turret moving with 12 volts. Ill send a picture when I get off work today of how I make that circuit.

So what my actual issue is that when I index the turret it will time out.
Make sure you drop the voltage when you reverse it. Double check you have the proper ATC package downloaded and installed. Double check the directions, follow them step by step.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397

Can you force the turret output on and off? You can do this from the diagnostic screen Alt i.
Using your arrow keys, move the box to the far left second line, and put it over Rotate Turret Output (in your case it looks like Output 2)
Press Ctrl ALT f which should turn the output on and rotate your turret forward.
Press Ctrl ALT f again which should then rotate your turret backward.
Press Ctrl ALT f again to put it back in the normal state. (NO LINE under the virtual LED)

While your turret rotates, you can monitor the inputs (top line far left, ToolTurretPosBit1 IS INPUT3, ToolTurretSyncBit IS INPUT4, in your case)

Make sure they are toggling on and off as the sensors are triggered.
Pictures and video clip (Post to YouTube as unlisted and SHARE a link here) would be most helpful.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
mrp192

Post by mrp192 »

Here is my video. https://youtu.be/w1GSxssFDhk

Here is the BEC I am using for 12V. Ill add another that does 5V. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0823 ... UTF8&psc=1

Here is the relay I am using. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M1 ... UTF8&psc=1
On the underside I did bridge the coils together to they active at the same time. Currently the BEC and wires are held down with hot glue. Once I get the turret working correctly and add the second BEC I will use E6000 instead of hot glue to hold it down.

Thanks for the help.

Brent
Attachments
IMG_0440.jpg
IMG_0441.jpg
IMG_0442.jpg
martyscncgarage

You have output 2 turned off.
Press Ctrl Alt F a THRID time to remove the line.
With the line under the output LED, the output is essentially turned OFF. The control can not turn it on.
Mesa, AZ
mrp192

Post by mrp192 »

martyscncgarage wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:02 am You have output 2 turned off.
Press Ctrl Alt F a THRID time to remove the line.
With the line under the output LED, the output is essentially turned OFF. The control can not turn it on.
I swear I did it 3 times but I will try it again when I get home from work tonight.
martyscncgarage

The only way to turn it back on, is to highlight it and press Ctrl Alt f ONCE. That should remove the underline and put the output back to normal.

The fact you can manually turn the output on and off and the turret rotate properly tells me the control, if configured properly should make it work. That's mostly done in the parameters.

Good luck!
Marty
Mesa, AZ
mrp192

Post by mrp192 »

These are the parameters that I did follow.

Parameter #830 = 2 **NEW** (Sets what t ype of ATC you have for PLC and macros, values are
subject to change in future so ensure to check documentation on every update)
F. Parameter #850 = Amount of time to wait before actually seeing the tool counter input. This is done
due to the turret having to reverse in order to lock which will place the turret behind the tool counter.
Once the turret starts moving the control will skip the first count it sees. If the parameter is set to 0, it
will default to 2.5 seconds.
G. Parameter #851 = Amount of time in seconds to go past the tool counter input before the turret
reverses into the locked position. This is done so that the turret reverses into the correct tool location
instead of the previous tool location. If the parameter is set to 0, it will default to 0.75 seconds.