CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Z Axis troubles!

Post by Philtrueman »

Hi Marty,
I have the same problem with my Z Axis on my lathe. I thought that it was a wiring fault but i re-wired the step and direction connections and then put hot glue on the wires and driver plugs to stabalise them and stop the wires from bending and breaking. I did the same to the encoder wires on the Z and X axis. I have no encoder on the A axis drive just step and direction. The drivers are Stepperonline CL86T. But it is not the Drivers that are faulty. I changed the Acorn board for a new one that i have for bench testing and that was the same.
What is happening with my VCP buttons is there is no Z+ movement on the VCP buttons. When i press Z+ it moves A- and when i press X+ the A+ axis moves. There is something wrong with the VCP communication to Acorn because when i use my wireless pendant the Z works fine. Very strange behaviour. The ethernet cable is clear of any power cables and i am using the standard cable.
I restored an earlier report and the problem is solved. Then when i change the settings in the wizard and tell it to put the A axis on the number 4 Axis drive as it tell me in the instructions for the rotary Axis driven turret. the problem comes back and it installs 2 sets of A+A- buttons. None of which make the A axis rotate "See Photo".
If i revove CNC 12 4.64 and the CNCT directory using Windows 10 there must be some hidden files in Wndows that save the settings for CNC12 because when i re install CNC12 4.64 my custom VCP installs. I have only changed the colours on the VCP. Oh and the worklight comes on by default even though i tell it in the wizard not to come on.
The only solution is to erase Windows 10 and re install CNC12 4.64 and use the standard VCP i think.
Is there any reason why the lathe turret axis has to go on number 4 axis and not the 3rd axis? the M18 and M21 macros can be changed if they are configured with the 4th axis.
Attachments
report_E0623470B40F-0819215108_2022-02-10_13-32-06.zip
(945.51 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
20220210_135917.jpg
Philtrueman
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Post by Philtrueman »

suntravel wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:35 pm SW7 on the driver on ?

Than it runs only in one direction.

Uwe
There are only 6 DIP switches on the Stepperonline CL86T drivers
Last edited by Philtrueman on Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suntravel
CNC Control System Serial Number: 6433DB0446C1-08115074

Post by suntravel »

Up sorry, had the CL57T in mind
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Philtrueman wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:20 pm Hi Marty,
I have the same problem with my Z Axis on my lathe. I thought that it was a wiring fault but i re-wired the step and direction connections and then put hot glue on the wires and driver plugs to stabalise them and stop the wires from bending and breaking. I did the same to the encoder wires on the Z and X axis. I have no encoder on the A axis drive just step and direction. The drivers are Stepperonline CL86T. But it is not the Drivers that are faulty. I changed the Acorn board for a new one that i have for bench testing and that was the same.
What is happening with my VCP buttons is there is no Z+ movement on the VCP buttons. When i press Z+ it moves A- and when i press X+ the A+ axis moves. There is something wrong with the VCP communication to Acorn because when i use my wireless pendant the Z works fine. Very strange behaviour. The ethernet cable is clear of any power cables and i am using the standard cable.
I restored an earlier report and the problem is solved. Then when i change the settings in the wizard and tell it to put the A axis on the number 4 Axis drive as it tell me in the instructions for the rotary Axis driven turret. the problem comes back and it installs 2 sets of A+A- buttons. None of which make the A axis rotate "See Photo".
If i revove CNC 12 4.64 and the CNCT directory using Windows 10 there must be some hidden files in Wndows that save the settings for CNC12 because when i re install CNC12 4.64 my custom VCP installs. I have only changed the colours on the VCP. Oh and the worklight comes on by default even though i tell it in the wizard not to come on.
The only solution is to erase Windows 10 and re install CNC12 4.64 and use the standard VCP i think.
Is there any reason why the lathe turret axis has to go on number 4 axis and not the 3rd axis? the M18 and M21 macros can be changed if they are configured with the 4th axis.
Phillip,
You should start your own thread.
If you restored an older report over a new install, that is likely your problem.

There are no hidden files.
Start from scratch...

Take screen shots of the pages of your Wizard settings. Print them out.
Rename the current CNCT directory something like CNCT OLD
Do a FRESH install of 4.64 Lathe
Start CNC12, import your license.
Start the Wizard, hand key in all your settings. Write the settings and restart Acorn and the computer.
Then restart CNC12 and test.
Create a report as soon as you have it back up.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Also, there is no reason to be using hot glue on anything.
All control wiring should be stranded wire and not solid wire.
Post a picture of your control cabinet if you don't mind.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Philtrueman

Post by Philtrueman »

martyscncgarage wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:42 pm Also, there is no reason to be using hot glue on anything.
All control wiring should be stranded wire and not solid wire.
Post a picture of your control cabinet if you don't mind.
Marty
All the wiring is multi stranded for flexibility. The bootlace ferrules that i am using have space around the wire where the plastic support is. Why don't they make the wire support smaller diameter that suits the wire size to support the insulation part of the wire. The hot glue was to support all the thin wires, the encoder wires are very thin that come with the motors.
Philtrueman

Post by Philtrueman »

martyscncgarage wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:40 pm
Philtrueman wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:20 pm Hi Marty,
Phillip,
You should start your own thread.
If you restored an older report over a new install, that is likely your problem.

There are no hidden files.
Start from scratch...

Take screen shots of the pages of your Wizard settings. Print them out.
Rename the current CNCT directory something like CNCT OLD
Do a FRESH install of 4.64 Lathe
Start CNC12, import your license.
Start the Wizard, hand key in all your settings. Write the settings and restart Acorn and the computer.
Then restart CNC12 and test.
Create a report as soon as you have it back up.

Marty
I will do a fresh install tomorrow and hope that it works. I will make incremental reports as i do the configuration.
Philtrueman

Post by Philtrueman »

kfedd wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:39 pm I am having the same issue with 2 CL86T drivers. Originally I bench tested them fine, installed on the machine and after a few test moves that worked fine sporadically would get stuck only moving in one direction. If I swap drives Y for X for example the problem follows the drive which leads me to believe the drive has a fault, not the control signal or the acorn board. The problem has originated when the drive is being used in the Y axis. The most recent occurrence is as the Slaved Y axis motor. That may be just a coincidence?

To me it seems that the driver has an issue with the direction pin. I have 4 of these drives, and have problems with 2 so far. Stepper Online was good about sending a replacement driver, but as soon as I got the replacement, I had problems with another drive just as I am I am running some test cuts.

Did you get your CL86T driver problem figured out? I have pretty much lost confidence in these drives. I wrecked a home switch because the motor kept driving into the switch instead of backing off, and the gantry was pulled way out of square the second time doing who knows what to the straightness parallelism of the rails.

I am thinking at the very least I should switch over to the CL86Y drives. I believe they are from a different manufacturer.

Any info would be appreciated.
Check that all the 6 encoder wires have a good connection. They are very thin wires and if one has a bad connection it will not move as there will be no feedback. Have you got 2 motors paired together in the Wizard? check the encoder wires.
Last edited by Philtrueman on Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
alton.carroll

Post by alton.carroll »

I am having the exact issue as Phil....crushed my proximity sensor and wrecked the brackets. I am differently considering different drivers too.