Trouble getting servo motor movement (DMM DYN4)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

Accu-Slice
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Trouble getting servo motor movement (DMM DYN4)

Post by Accu-Slice »

I just checked out the DMM cable and all the pins are correctly wired. However I also just ordered the BD25 breakout board connector so I will be wiring everything myself, just in case there is a resistance short in the DMM cable. I will be starting from the beginning, disconnecting everything else in the circuit, eliminating the contactors, circuit breakers and filters and testing it out like Marty did in his video. At least that will narrow done the issue.
Accu-Slice

Post by Accu-Slice »

I just disconnected everything, rewired Acorn, eliminated all the circuit breakers, e-stop, contactors and wired DYN directly to AC power as Marty did in his video. At first it still failed to operate, then I unchecked the X-Axis Inversion on the Advanced screen in the Wizzard and now it works.

Attachments
accu1.jpg
accu2.jpg
Accu-Slice

Post by Accu-Slice »

Problem Solved. After reassembling the entire circuit and doing a systematic checking of all wiring and components, I discovered that the problem was with one of the EMI filters. Although it checked out with 0.3 ohm across each of the terminals, it was defective. When I bypassed it the system worked fine, when I put it back in the servo motor would not operate properly. When I swapped the emi filter out with another filter it worked fine.
Accu-Slice

Post by Accu-Slice »

Additional follow up: I turns out that the problem was the emi filter being grounded. The back panel on which everything is mounted for my case is metal, All the system components are screwed into this plate and therefore grounded. When I isolated the emi filter from the back plate, the system worked fine. This problem only occurs with the emi filter closest to the DYN4 drivers. The other emi filters on the other side of the contactors are grounded and do not create any issue. I now have all three axis working properly and ready to install into the cabinet to attach to the PM30MV mill.
Attachments
20211108_224116.jpg
3484_001.pdf
(111.5 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

that's alot of contactors and emi filters!:-) i can't see...do you have quencharcs on those contactors?
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
slodat

Post by slodat »

cnckeith wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:59 pm that's alot of contactors and emi filters!:-) i can't see...do you have quencharcs on those contactors?
This is what DMM recommends in their manual...
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

slodat wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:02 pm
cnckeith wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:59 pm that's alot of contactors and emi filters!:-) i can't see...do you have quencharcs on those contactors?
This is what DMM recommends in their manual...
Yup, that is correct, that's exactly "by the book" as an example layout for the DYN4 drives from DMM.

Santa's coming early this year and I'll have my all new DYN5 drive package Friday for my current Biesse Rover build. DMM still has this same layout as one wiring example in the new manual as well. They also give another wiring example where you can share the same circuit components for multiple servo drives. You just have to select the new size for the circuit breaker, main noise filter and contactor for the number of drives in the system. If you are using 2 drives, double the load ratings for a single drive, if you are using 3 drives then triple the load ratings for a single drive. The only thing that you can't share is the logic noise filter for the drives. You still need a single logic noise filter for each drive in the system.

Since the used Biesse Rover I bought, and currently retrofitting with Acorn and DMM DYN5 drives, came with two complete control cabinets I am OVERSTOCKED with circuit breakers, contactors, terminal strips, DIN rail, shielded wire, motor contactors, switches, wire duct, cable glands and just about anything else needed to rebuild a new Acorn/DYN5 system. Since I have all this extra stuff I also opted to use 3 of each items needed for the DYN5 drives the OP did with his DYN4 build. It's overkill but I'll never use all the components I have, or so I say this now. The only items I had to buy were the DYN5 main and logic noise filters for each drive and some DIN rail relays. :mrgreen:
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

Certainly you can follow DMM's recommendations, but for 1KW Drives/Motors, I use ONE properly sized EStop Contactor, and ONE EMI filter feeding the logic voltage to the drives. Also one properly sized Line reactor feeding motor power to the drives maybe helpful.
My .02 based on previous experience.
Acorn System Schematic is a good general guide as well.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

and a quench arc:-))
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

cnckeith wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:16 pm and a quench arc:-))
Luckily all the Siemens contactors I pulled from the old control panels have the quench arcs piggy backed right on the contactors. I guess its standard in professional built machines. Biesse is made in Italy.