Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0035FF8FEB5F-0708203490
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Zero position for bar feed location on lathe

Post by vw_chuck »

Thank you all. I will set up a button to move to the G30 position. Maybe someday setting G28 and G30 could be done through the VCP. Until then I will dive 4 pages in to set these return points.
cnc_smith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnc_smith »

vw_chuck wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:19 pm Ok probably an easy solution but I am not sure how to do this.
I am trying to manually feed the barstock by hand to the Z zero position for a new part.
So basically I am making a bunch of the same part but need to feed to the zero position manually by hand to start the next part.
Is their a way to set a position in the controller so I can hit a button on the screen and it will go to that position?
I DON"T want to have to use the MDI and put a tool in and then G0 to it as this is WAY too cumbersome.
Anyway to do this?
vw_chuck,

A couple of questions for you to help me understand what you are wanting to do to manually to feed the barstock by hand to the Z zero position....:

1) Does your lathe a have tool post or a turret? Have not seen a report to know which one.
2) You state "Don't want to have use the MDI and put a tool in.....". What do you want to use for the material stop when you pull the material out? A corner of a tool post if you have one?
3) Are you using a dictated tool as your reference tool to set up your parts zeros?
4) Is your chuck a manual chuck or air or hydraulic chuck? I am assuming a manual chuck. I have a lathe here that has an air over hydraulic chuck but no bar pusher or puller with an automatic turret.

You stated "How does do you write a macro to do this?" A macro is basically a program that you write like any other g-code program and give it a specific name so it can be called by another program to do something specific. The program can be very simple and it can get very complicated with variables and inputs and outputs.

The macro (program) that you want to use to pull the material out to a stop will be very simple. Once I get the answers to the questions above I will be better able to explain how to do the Macro program and have it called by one of your AUX keys on VCP.
Dana

When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
vw_chuck

Post by vw_chuck »

1)Lathe has a QC tool post
2) I don't want to have to input tool number and offset and then a G0 to move the tool. I am looking for a single button push to move the tool to the Z0 and X0 position.
3) Yes I usually use tool number 1(reference tool) to set my zero position initially but sometimes whatever tool is on there.
4) Manual Chuck.

So here is the sequence of events. I am making a whole bunch of the same part. I want to setup the machine initially by setting my zero positions on the first part. I then run the part and it finishes and parts off and falls to the tray. Next I need to feed the bar stock to the Z0 position so I can start the next part without having to manually reset the Z0 position again. I am looking for a 1 button solution so I can manually feed the bar stock to the zero position and then hit run and make another part. I want to use the tool I will be doing the first cut with on the part to do this. So If I could hit a button on the VCP and have it move to the Z0 and X0 position for the first tool that would be what I need.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

please post a fresh report.zip
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cnc_smith

Post by cnc_smith »

vw_chuck wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:37 am 1)Lathe has a QC tool post
2) I don't want to have to input tool number and offset and then a G0 to move the tool. I am looking for a single button push to move the tool to the Z0 and X0 position.
3) Yes I usually use tool number 1(reference tool) to set my zero position initially but sometimes whatever tool is on there.
4) Manual Chuck.

So here is the sequence of events. I am making a whole bunch of the same part. I want to setup the machine initially by setting my zero positions on the first part. I then run the part and it finishes and parts off and falls to the tray. Next I need to feed the bar stock to the Z0 position so I can start the next part without having to manually reset the Z0 position again. I am looking for a 1 button solution so I can manually feed the bar stock to the zero position and then hit run and make another part. I want to use the tool I will be doing the first cut with on the part to do this. So If I could hit a button on the VCP and have it move to the Z0 and X0 position for the first tool that would be what I need.

As Keith stated always post a current report. This will help to know which AUX keys are available on your system.

1) Okay
2) Okay
3) "...Sometimes whatever tool is on there". I am assuming the "...whatever tool is on there" has been measured.
4) okay.

5) When you run your part are you doing a facing operation to make sure the part is always the same length or are you just pulling the part up to the stop and assuming it will not move when you tighten the chuck down? From my experience no matter what type of chuck that is used the length may very. I pull an additional amount then do a facing operation to leave .010" of material for other operations to finish to length. This makes sure the part always has a good finish on this end of the part. Also I work with parts that have features on the end that are not very deep so I need the face to be at a know position.
6) If you are doing a facing operation first is it always the same tool number?
7) If not doing a facing operation first with the same tool, then does your jobs that you are running multi parts do you use a different first tool from the last program for a different part?

Yes, I am asking a lot of questions but this will help determine how the macro will be written to make it easier on your side for running parts. Everyone has a different way of doing their parts. As you can see I added some information on how I do my programming. Some of it comes from years of experience and some just the way I like to do things. Not knowing your history of machining and how you do things that is why the questions.
Dana

vw_chuck

Post by vw_chuck »

No AUX keys are being used. I haven't customized the VCP in anyway it is in the stock configuration.
Yes I do a facing operation. I take off .020 as the first operation. I don't always face with the same tool though.
Yes all my tools are measured and in the tool library.
vw_chuck

Post by vw_chuck »

I also don't have access to a Report at the moment.
cnc_smith

Post by cnc_smith »

I believe I have enough information to put together the macros. It will take 2. One macro assigned to VCP key will assign the tool that you will be using to pull the material too. When you press this key it will prompt you for the tool number and offset to use for material to be pulled to. This will only have to be used if you are using a different tool to pull the material to than the last time. The second macro assigned to VCP will move the tool to X0.0 and a Z position that you want it to go to for leaving material to face off, say Z+.020. This VCP key will be the only one you will use for positioning the tool to pull the material to.

Two more question.

The macro for after it moves to position to pull the material too can be written 2 ways. One way is the macro will stay active and after you pull the material and tighten the chuck, then you will press cycle start to move the tool back to tool change position. The second way is to have the macro move to the position to pull the material to then finish at that point. After you pull the material and tighten the chuck you would press the Tool Check button to move the tool to the tool change position. Same number of key presses. This would be operator preference.

Does this look like what you are wanting?
Dana

vw_chuck

Post by vw_chuck »

Dana
Yes this is exactly what I was looking for. The second way you mentioned should work for me.
After you write the macro I can see how you do this sort of stuff and I should be able to figure out future changes from there.
Thanks alot for helping me out with this I really appreciate it.
vw_chuck

Post by vw_chuck »

Just an idea but couldn't we make forum post called "Macro Database" to store these macros in case someone wants something similar in the future? So this one could be stored as "Lathe bar stock stop using a tool" or something like that. I could see it being useful to others in the future.