Using android tablet as cncpc (Resolved)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

Jin Technoaccord
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Using android tablet as cncpc (Resolved)

Post by Jin Technoaccord »

Hi Community,
I have 4:3 touch screen which I initially wanted to use for cnc(due to one of many constraints given for the project), but it was harder than I thought it was.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=5993&p=52062#p52062
Now I am considering buy an android tablet which has 16:9 screen. Is there android compatible version of software or I need to run windows VM? I also wants to know if USB to Ethernet adopter can be use to communicate with the Acorn board? Lastly I read somewhere that laptop can disable communication port for saving power, is it still true even though it's always connected to the power ? Thanks in advance

regards,
Jin
Last edited by Jin Technoaccord on Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
AcornJosh

Re: Using android tablet as cncpc

Post by AcornJosh »

The Cheapest way to do this is to get a $200 used business PC that meets min requirements and any old Widescreen monitor and interface with the VCP using your mouse. For another $200 you can get a new widescreen touch screen monitor for the full experience.

Android will not work and Centroid does not recommend laptops due to the power saving features. We do recommend a dedicated PC but the requirements are modest so almost anything from the last 5 years will work.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

To add to what Josh said,
Here are the minimum System requirements for CNC12:
https://www.centroidcnc.com/cnc_pc_perf ... ments.html
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

It boggles the mind that people are always trying to circumvent the minimum requirements laid out by the manufacturer for their product. They tell you EXACTLY what you need and what NOT to use, it doesn't get any easier than this. Just buy a used PC from Craigslist or eBay and load the software on it. Used Win10 PC's that meet the minimum requirements can be bought for $125 to $150 all day long. Why try and go your own route that is only gonna cause you issues in the future. Why? :shock:
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

ShawnM wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:52 pm It boggles the mind that people are always trying to circumvent the minimum requirements laid out by the manufacturer for their product. They tell you EXACTLY what you need and what NOT to use, it doesn't get any easier than this. Just buy a used PC from Craigslist or eBay and load the software on it. Used Win10 PC's that meet the minimum requirements can be bought for $125 to $150 all day long. Why try and go your own route that is only gonna cause you issues in the future. Why? :shock:
Agreed, but there are users on a super tight budget or they don't read or fully understand the performance requirements. Especially new users.
I *try* to keep that in mind when I provide responses. Then there are users that know they aren't fully following recommendations and only selectively provide information when they have troubles.

At the end of the day, we do the best we can and provide suggestions for the users to try. I am proud of the users the spend time here to help others. I do it because I believe in the Centroid hardware and software. Centroid has always been a company that specializes in CNC machine motion control. WE get the benefit of their +30 years of experience in the business.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

As so elegantly stated by Gary in another tiopic:
FB_IMG_1623291305279.jpg
I'll be the first one to admit I'm cheap, I mean thrifty, but I'm just not willing to trade future headaches to simply save a buck or two. I need my machine to be reliable as it makes me money.
Jin Technoaccord

Post by Jin Technoaccord »

I would like to thank all for taking time to respond my original post.