CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Doesnt work with MACH3?

Post by ShawnM »

adamfromscotland wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:58 pm
On the DB25 Is there not a 4TH Axis? pin for my A Axis to go into? Or do i have to join them i.e. Y+A Into the same pins?

I thought the board could handle 4 x Axis
Adam, please look at diagram S14976, there is a pin out diagram for the DB25 on that diagram, it's right next to the DB25 which is H6. Pins 2 through 9 are the step and direction for all 4 axis.

Edited to say Marty beat me to it. :mrgreen:
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

ShawnM wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:33 pm
adamfromscotland wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:58 pm
On the DB25 Is there not a 4TH Axis? pin for my A Axis to go into? Or do i have to join them i.e. Y+A Into the same pins?

I thought the board could handle 4 x Axis
Adam, please look at diagram S14976, there is a pin out diagram for the DB25 on that diagram, it's right next to the DB25 which is H6. Pins 2 through 9 are the step and direction for all 4 axis.

Edited to say Marty beat me to it. :mrgreen:
More info is better!
Thanks Shawn!
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
adamfromscotland
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by adamfromscotland »

It implies to me

The Y Axis on my CNC Router being slaved to the A Axis

The fact that i now have to use a DB25 Port is also annoying as on the big colouful diagram it says i can use the terminal plugs to do my stepper motors doesnt it!

But on this forum everyone is saying use the DB25

So whats the big issue i hear you say!

This is my issue! limitations on space!

I already fitted it into my cabinet thinking after being misslead again with ACORNS Diagram showing the terminal plugs can be used as for my steppers

and now i cant and must use the DB25 !

So many issues and i havenet even used it yet!

ISSUES:
  • Wasn't aware i couldn't use MACH3 And have to use the far superior CNC12

Wasn't aware i had to use DB25 for my stepper motors!

Terminal plugs are for Servo motors

SOME! Cheeky big mouthed Americans!

I dont see many people using these for CNC routers, mainly all mills!
DSC02995.JPG

You people who make out that i am going to ask loads of questions? well what if i do? is that not what this forum is for?

Secondly Ive watched loads of YouTube videos and read all the guides etc, but sometimes its better heard from people direct who have experience and to clarify things as no one wants to f+++ up there acorn board do they!

and lastly, each and everyone of you on here! LEARNED TOOOOOOO, You werent board with the knowledge you learned it from somewhere also, dont forget that! jackass
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

I am trying to be helpful. Bit you seem very unhappy and unappreciative.
If you want to be constructive and work on your system then let do so.

I'm trying to stick with you but your unkind remarks will not get the help you seek.

I agree with you, we all had to start somewhere.
While the DB25 is the strongly preferred method to connect 5vdc logic drives, you can try the header. If you post a link to your drive"s manual, I'll suggest how to give it a go.

You could use a DB25 connector with no back she'll and wire it with wires needed to get your step and direction signals. That would make it very compact instead of using the DB25 breakout board.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Adam,

I can see you are not happy with where you are at this time with the Acorn, why not simply return it and go back to Mach3? I've tried to help you from the start and provide solutions for you. I'm a ROUTER guy and have retrofit a few machines with the Acorn. I want to see you succeed and learn as well. I'm learning everyday how this board and software work and I'm amazed at what it can do for the money. The very first job I did on my router paid for the the Acorn retrofit. After a couple of more jobs it paid for the entire machine that I bought used. It's been making me money ever since.

The simple fact that the Acorn does not work with Mach3 is all on you. Nowhere on the Centroid site does it say it's a break out board for Mach3, nowhere. I have no idea where you bought it from but I'll guarantee it doesn't say on that website (be it Amazon or eBay or wherever) that it works with Mach3 either. Why on earth would you want to use "hobby grade" software that hasn't been updated since probably the 90's? We simply need to move past that argument because that's on you for assuming that the Acorn worked with other software.

You can slave your axis on one output, we've been over this also and told you how to do it. There are 2 ways to do it.

You don't need to used that large of a breakout board. On my first build I simply used a DB25 connector and soldered 6 wires to it. I only have 3 axis on my router. I have dozens of them laying around and can solder small things very easily. This is all you need if you have the ability to solder small wires on to a DB25. This will save you on your space issue. Looking at your photo the Acorn board could be moved to the right anyway. You dont want it too close to the VDF as they are noisy.
male-db25-connector.jpg

For your build, you need to solder 8 wires on this connector and you are done. It'll stick out from the board about maybe 20mm at the most. If you are going to hardware pair two axis then you only need 6 wires. I'd recommend the software paring over the hardware paring but you need to buy the license for the software. And to remind you again Mach3 has a license fee also, it's not free. It works in a "demo mode" just like CNC12 does and is limited in what the "free" version can do.

Are some of the pics on the Centroid site confusing, yes, and they need to be addressed but I don't work there. You are certainly not the first person to come on this forum and wonder why their stepper drives don't work on the Acorn headers as shown in pics on the website. Then everyone is surprised that they need to buy yet another piece of hardware (DB25 break out board) just to get their motors running. I hope Centroid corrects this one day.

I'm here to help in anyway I can but you have to listen to what people on here are telling you as like you said, we've all learned too and want to share our knowledge. That's why we are here. If you want help I'm here, if you want to simply give up and go another route, no hard feeling from me.
adamfromscotland

adamfromscotland

Made a few nice adjustments

Happy how it looks inside now, inverter will be housed away on a wall now

started a new topic on the 4th axis query

Thanks, Shawn and all who replied! Thanks

Not to that cheeky gut saying IM going to ask 300 questions!
DSC03008.JPG
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Panel is looking good! Taking out the inverter will help with electric interference as well.

Nice Job,

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Looks great Adam, plenty of room now that the "noise generator" is not in there. :mrgreen: