Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Wiring KL-5056E and KL-8070D drivers

Post by roguecutlery »

Automation technologies has a ready to go box with everything all hooked up. I thought I was going to be smart and buy all the parts from that kit since they list it all out and put it together myself to save a few hundred bucks. I was naive. I'm now in over my head and stuck. I've got the 48VDC/12.5A SWITCHING CNC POWER SUPPLY, KL-600-48 in place and wired to the two KL-5056E for x/y axis, and one KL-8070D for the z axis. I'm now trying to wire the drivers to acorn and am not sure what diagram to use. And trying to figure out why I need three power supplies. Acorn comes with one, and the automation technologies kit included the big KL-600-48 as well as 5V/3A SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY UNIT (KL-15-5). I'm assuming I don't need the kl-15-5? Or should I swap the one that came with acorn for the kl-15-5? Any and all help is beyond appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Wiring KL-5056E and KL-8070D drivers

Post by martyscncgarage »

roguecutlery wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:05 pm Automation technologies has a ready to go box with everything all hooked up. I thought I was going to be smart and buy all the parts from that kit since they list it all out and put it together myself to save a few hundred bucks. I was naive. I'm now in over my head and stuck. I've got the 48VDC/12.5A SWITCHING CNC POWER SUPPLY, KL-600-48 in place and wired to the two KL-5056E for x/y axis, and one KL-8070D for the z axis. I'm now trying to wire the drivers to acorn and am not sure what diagram to use. And trying to figure out why I need three power supplies. Acorn comes with one, and the automation technologies kit included the big KL-600-48 as well as 5V/3A SWITCHING POWER SUPPLY UNIT (KL-15-5). I'm assuming I don't need the kl-15-5? Or should I swap the one that came with acorn for the kl-15-5? Any and all help is beyond appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.
Post links to the manuals for the drives and motors.
You can use one large power supply, you don't "need" one for each drive.
The more information you can provide the better suggestions we can make.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
roguecutlery
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by roguecutlery »

I hope I attached the pictures correctly..where I am mounting the acorn control I covered with a layer of electrical tape then am using rubber spacers at each bolt. Im trying to figure out how to wire each driver to acorn now. Ive dug through acorn's hookup schematics but am unsure of which to use. Ive got each driver wired to the "larger" power supply. But am not sure why they show using two smaller ones as well.. this link shows everything I have purchased as well as the picture I'm referring to as showing using the large as well as two small power supplies. I bought everything they have listed on this page except the 1200oz motor. I got a slightly smaller oz one that is linked bellow. https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.c ... controller

https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.c ... h295-43-8b
Attachments
20210607_181203.jpg
20210607_181219.jpg
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

I would use the power supply that came with the Acorn inside the cabinet and not the KL-15-5 but that's my opinion. As for wiring the drives to the Acorn, follow diagram S14976 for those drives. You'll need the DB25 breakout board from Amazon to wire the drives to the Acorn.

Here's one that will work:

https://www.amazon.com/D-sub-DB25-Break ... cs&sr=1-15

and the wiring diagrams along with ALL the documentation for the Acorn can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397

That power supply should drive all 3 motors just fine.
martyscncgarage

Shawn's advice is spot on.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
roguecutlery

Post by roguecutlery »

ShawnM wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:54 pm I would use the power supply that came with the Acorn inside the cabinet and not the KL-15-5 but that's my opinion. As for wiring the drives to the Acorn, follow diagram S14976 for those drives. You'll need the DB25 breakout board from Amazon to wire the drives to the Acorn.

Here's one that will work:

https://www.amazon.com/D-sub-DB25-Break ... cs&sr=1-15

and the wiring diagrams along with ALL the documentation for the Acorn can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397

That power supply should drive all 3 motors just fine.
I've seen thoes d25 breakout things but didn't think I needed one because they show it as complete without one on automation technologies site in the first link I posted. If it's what I need ima have to re adjust my layout and hope it fits.
roguecutlery

Post by roguecutlery »

Well I trust you guys! I know you both know waaaayyy more than me on this stuff so ordering what Shawn suggested now and hope to get done with this wiring. Thanks very much for the help!
Richards

Post by Richards »

Let's back up just a little bit to the point where you laid down electrical tape beneath the Acorn board and used rubber insulators at each screw hole. I would advise putting spacers (or screws with nuts spaced to work as spacers) to lift the Acorn to a safe height (at least 3/8th inch between the bottom of the Acorn and the case). Electrical tape might work at first, but any sharp point on any component is a possible point of future failure. If you raise the Acorn up, you may prevent grief later on.
-Mike Richards
roguecutlery

Post by roguecutlery »

Richards wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:49 am Let's back up just a little bit to the point where you laid down electrical tape beneath the Acorn board and used rubber insulators at each screw hole. I would advise putting spacers (or screws with nuts spaced to work as spacers) to lift the Acorn to a safe height (at least 3/8th inch between the bottom of the Acorn and the case). Electrical tape might work at first, but any sharp point on any component is a possible point of future failure. If you raise the Acorn up, you may prevent grief later on.
Sounds like a plan! Thank you!
martyscncgarage