Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: The ghost is back in the machine

Post by tuffduck »

Are you talking a UPS that would supply power to the machine to to both the computer and the machine?
BDubs
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by BDubs »

tuffduck wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:47 pm Are you talking a UPS that would supply power to the machine to to both the computer and the machine?
Yes, exactly. If it's not big enough for both, just plug in the control box.
Brady Watson | IBILD Solutions | Production Consultant | HiDef 3D Laser Scanning | Vectric Custom Video Training | IBILD.com
tuffduck

Post by tuffduck »

Well, the DB25 card is installed and all wired up an ran a 4 hour program at 75%. We are still getting errors. Here is the latest report.
Attachments
report_E415F6F250EF-0205202948_2021-07-03_20-17-38.zip
(1.94 MiB) Downloaded 80 times
tuffduck

Post by tuffduck »

Should only one core be enabled on the PC, if the processor is an i5?
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

tuffduck wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:14 pm Should only one core be enabled on the PC, if the processor is an i5?
No, why would you do that?

What do you mean you ran the program at 75% ?
tuffduck

Post by tuffduck »

I had a different cnc before and it used linuxcnc. If you used a multicore computer, only one core could be running.
I set the feedrate at 75%.
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

I’ll look at your latest report tomorrow to find your ghost but I have another question.

I’m asking because I don’t understand something. When you set your feeds and speeds for a particular bit in your design software it yields a certain chip load for that bit in the material. Why do you then run at 75% federate? Are you also adjusting your spindle speed to maintain the same chip load on the bit? Again I’m asking because I don’t understand why someone would do this after the proper chip load was already calculated with specific feeds and speeds. I’m hoping you can explain why someone would do this. Do you think you are running the machine too hard?
tuffduck

Post by tuffduck »

It was said that I may be, so I slowed it down. The ideal calculated feedrate for bit I was using is 128ipm.

The crazy thing, is that in February, I ran a 1/2" bit at 18,000 rpm and 100ipm in 2" cherry (3 passes).

Hope this helps.
BDubs

Post by BDubs »

What were the results of testing your electrical system? Do you have continuity from your power panel ground bus bar to your control box ground bus bar? Did you try the UPS?

The PC is a really important part of the system. I would not overthink things - just run it out of the box vanilla and follow Centroid's recommendations otherwise. You should not be fooling around with processor priority or multi-processor throttling. Just leave it alone or you may wind up being the 'better idiot' that Centroid Support never thought anyone could be...meaning, you may be having problems so uncommon that nobody has an answer.

Chipload...I'm not trying to break stones here but...Forget chipload. Few have any clue that the SOLE PURPOSE of chipload is to maximize tool life and NOTHING ELSE! Furthermore, you will be very hard pressed to EVER be capable of running the chipload numbers recommmended by tooling manufacturers on a hobby type machine. It lacks the stiffness, power and hold down to run those numbers. They are NOT feeds/speeds that you should run...My advice would be to start at 120 IPM @ 18,000 RPM and adjust as required to find YOUR number for YOUR machine. Using the 'grassroots method' of Sight/Sound/Smell - If it's struggling, increase RPM or lower feedrate; If it's burning, lower RPM or increase feedrate; If it doesn't sound right, adjust RPM or feedrate to overcome the unique harmonics of the material you are cutting. I'll venture to say that you know how your material should cut using your preferred tooling. Adjust to what sounds/looks right and you'll be pretty close to ideal. Every piece of lumber (because it is natural - even from the same tree) is different...so what worked on one may not work on another.

Now back to your 'ghost' - What happens exactly (this latest round) when you run your files and it 'errors out' ? Were you running dust collection on this last batch of files? If so, please describe how it is grounded.
Brady Watson | IBILD Solutions | Production Consultant | HiDef 3D Laser Scanning | Vectric Custom Video Training | IBILD.com
tuffduck

Post by tuffduck »

Everything checks out for the ground from the CNC to the panel. The panel is grounded to a large copper rod in the ground.
I asked around and also called some rental places, no luck with a UPS to borrow.

I have tried 2 different computers that both met or exceeded the requirements and were set up following the Centroid guidelines.

Dust collection was running. The system is piped with galvanized spiral tube and flex hose is grounded to the steel pipe with copper wire. All electrical components throughout the shop are grounded as well.