CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

M6 - Unexpected results < resolved, self inflicted:-)>

Post by LinkCNC »

Good morning all,

I've recently upgraded a CNC router with an Acorn controller and CNC12 Router Pro software.
The upgrade has gone smoothly and everything is working as expected... except for the use of M6 in a job file.

To set up a job I use a conductive touch plate to automagically set the tool length, and to set the part top surface.
At the top of the screen, just under the job name, tool is identified as T1 H1.
In MDI I run G0Z0, and the tool races down and rests on top of the material - just as expected.

Running one of the sample jobs included with CNC12, one that uses T1 and H1, the job doesn't run as expected.
Instead of turning on the spindle and moving to the top of the part, the tool just plunges - past the lowest Z value in the job file and keeps on going.
If I delete the M6 command in the job file, but leave the references to T1/H1, the job runs perfectly.

I fully expect the unexpected result of using M6, is the result of my overlooking something.
I've spent the best part of a day searching this forum and trying different approaches, but no luck.
If anyone has advice they'd like to share, it would be very much appreciated.

Troy
Muzzer
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Re: M6 - Unexpected results

Post by Muzzer »

TBH, you haven't really given us much to go on here. Perhaps some examples of your g code would help.

To activate the length offset of the current tool requires G43 to be issued somewhere ahead of the operation starting. So you'd expect to see something like "G43 T1 H1" near the start. The T1 part is probably optional but the H1 tells the system to activate the length offset for tool 1. If you had another tool length offset active at the time, it will be discarded. That's presumably what's happening in your case.

You probably need to read the manual section relating to acquiring and activating tool length offsets. There is also a great video by Keith when he was a young man with hair, explaining how it all works. And Swissi has a rather good probing add-in that includes tool length measurement. It's helpful if you can find the time to gain a good understanding of how this all works, as it's less frustrating than trying to work out why it isn't working as you'd hoped in the heat of the moment.
Chris D
CNC Control System Serial Number: ACORN 4447

Post by Chris D »

LinkCNC, do you have a tool changer? If not, why are you using the M6 command?

Where is your "offset" being stored? Is this is the part WCS offsets or in the Tool offsets?

What is the value of the active WCS offset and what is the value of the tool length offset #1?

Do you have a G54 or other command in your program to instated a work coordinate offset?

Do you have G43 command in your program to instate a tool length offset?

Chris D
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

post a fresh report.zip and the program you are running.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
swissi
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716

Post by swissi »

LinkCNC wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:46 am Good morning all,

I've recently upgraded a CNC router with an Acorn controller and CNC12 Router Pro software.
The upgrade has gone smoothly and everything is working as expected... except for the use of M6 in a job file.

To set up a job I use a conductive touch plate to automagically set the tool length, and to set the part top surface.
At the top of the screen, just under the job name, tool is identified as T1 H1.
In MDI I run G0Z0, and the tool races down and rests on top of the material - just as expected.

Running one of the sample jobs included with CNC12, one that uses T1 and H1, the job doesn't run as expected.
Instead of turning on the spindle and moving to the top of the part, the tool just plunges - past the lowest Z value in the job file and keeps on going.
If I delete the M6 command in the job file, but leave the references to T1/H1, the job runs perfectly.

I fully expect the unexpected result of using M6, is the result of my overlooking something.
I've spent the best part of a day searching this forum and trying different approaches, but no luck.
If anyone has advice they'd like to share, it would be very much appreciated.

Troy
As Keith said above, posting your report file would give us a lot more information to help you.

If you have a spindle without exchangeable tool holders and you have to measure the tool height offset after each tool change, you should NOT use the tool height offset values in the CNC12 tool library. The H-- values should all be 0. That way it doesn't really matter if a job file is using tool height offsets or not because compensating the height by a value of 0 doesn't make any difference. When you touch off a new tool, you just reset the WCS Z0 point to the point when the bottom of the new tool touches the top of the stock.

If you use the ProbeApp, the ProbeApp will enforce that all tool height offsets in the tool library are set to 0 and also supports the single or dual TT method to make tool height measurement easier as described in this post HERE.

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
LinkCNC
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: Yes

Post by LinkCNC »

Thank you all for the fast response to my call for help.

I have just found the cause of the unexpected M6 action, and yes I'm embarrassed that I didn't pick it up sooner.

During the bench test phase of setting up the system, I added a custom button macro that lowers Z until an input is triggered.
I named the macro mfunc6, as it appeared to be an unused name in the cncm folder.
I now know, if a mfunc6 macro exists CNC12 directs an M6 call to this macro.
So, as expected, CNC12 was doing exactly what it was instructed to do.

Sorry to have wasted everyone's time.

Troy