Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 780473492883-0621192173
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Voltage on DB25

Post by BounceCycles »

So I have been using the centroid acorn for a year with DMM drives - dyn4 for the spindle, DYN2 for x and z on my lathe build. (caveat I had I believe an intermittent noise issue and have since changed the layout of my board/controller.)

Before changing the board layout I messed with the DYn4 tuning on my spindle, ran the machine and the X axis had a fit then became unresponsive. Have changed the layout of the board but X is still unresponsive.

Pins 2,3,5 of the DB25 all read 5v. Pin 4 (step 2 reads 0.8v).

DB25 board has been swapped, drives have been swapped around and even replaced. Everything works provided is plugged into step/dir 1 (pins 2 and 3).

Tried a fresh install of CNC12 on another computer same story.

Could it be that something is fried on the Acorn given the low voltage on pin4?

Attached is a report.

Thanks
Attachments
report_780473492883-0621192173_2021-05-29_16-53-44.zip
(577.84 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Voltage on DB25

Post by martyscncgarage »

PLEASE take the time to follow all the items requested from this post:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

We cannot "SEE" what you "SEE"
With more information about the machine, pictures, we might be able to provide more information
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
BounceCycles
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by BounceCycles »

Oh for God's sake Marty, you just can't wait to post that can you? All I have asked is whether 0.8v on pin 4 is an indication that something is fried.

A photo of my lathe isn't going to help. If it is what type of photo do you want to see? Shall I just keep taking photos until you post something other than that?
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

BounceCycles wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:33 pm Oh for God's sake Marty, you just can't wait to post that can you? All I have asked is whether 0.8v on pin 4 is an indication that something is fried.

A photo of my lathe isn't going to help. If it is what type of photo do you want to see? Shall I just keep taking photos until you post something other than that?

Well, no way to tell if .08 v is wrong or right! Reason: If it is for the step output then your meter may not, and most likely can not, read the high and low of the pulse step. [good place for using an o-scope] If it was for the Direction signal then the signal will go high or go low to reverse the direction.

So in Marty's defense, we have no idea what you changed when you say "I had a noise issue and..." so pictures of the wiring really does help!

Marty spends a lot of his personal time to help solve problems for all of us so let's help him help us!

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
carbuthn

Post by carbuthn »

The mapping of the DB25 can be changed in the wizard. Depending on the mapping the polarity and voltage of the pin can change. A screen shot of the mapping could help.

Most of us appreciate the time and effort that Marty put into this forum, most of the new members don't take the time to read the list of needed information or provide the needed information that may be need to provide the requested help.

A lot more people would try to help if they didn't get a a lot of flack when they need more information to understand the question/problem. Especially if they are doing it for free. Of course you could pay for someone to help...
Gary Campbell
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Post by Gary Campbell »

BounceCycles wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:33 pm Oh for God's sake Marty, you just can't wait to post that can you? All I have asked is whether 0.8v on pin 4 is an indication that something is fried.

Obviously doesn't comprehend the "Catching Flies with Honey or Vinegar" idiom.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
BounceCycles

Post by BounceCycles »

Well, no way to tell if .08 v is wrong or right! Reason: If it is for the step output then your meter may not, and most likely can not, read the high and low of the pulse step. [good place for using an o-scope] If it was for the Direction signal then the signal will go high or go low to reverse the direction.

So in Marty's defense, we have no idea what you changed when you say "I had a noise issue and..." so pictures of the wiring really does help!

Marty spends a lot of his personal time to help solve problems for all of us so let's help him help us!

Dave C.
Hi Dave, reason I ask about the voltage is because the other axis does read 5v

The issue arose before I changed the layout and wiring of the board, the only thing that changed was the X motor had a fit during the tuning process of the spindle then went dead.

As for Marty I'm sure he does spend a lot of time helping others but over the last year all I have seen is a lot of capital letters, condescending comments but no real answers (to other users). To be perfectly honest I was kinda hoping he wouldn't see my post
BounceCycles

Post by BounceCycles »

carbuthn wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:07 pm The mapping of the DB25 can be changed in the wizard. Depending on the mapping the polarity and voltage of the pin can change. A screen shot of the mapping could help.

Most of us appreciate the time and effort that Marty put into this forum, most of the new members don't take the time to read the list of needed information or provide the needed information that may be need to provide the requested help.

A lot more people would try to help if they didn't get a a lot of flack when they need more information to understand the question/problem. Especially if they are doing it for free. Of course you could pay for someone to help...
Hi thanks,

I hadn't changed DB25 mapping, but later tried to see if allocating step/dri 2 to another pin helped. It didn't so I changed it back to default.

As for paying someone I did offer a well respected guy on here whatever he wanted to help. He actually refused payment bless him and has spent a lot of time helping me, I didn't want to burdon the guy anymore so have spent some time with a meter, researching and pondering.

I actually didn't want somebody to fix it for me, just clarify whether the fact that one axis reads 5v on step dir and the other 5v/0.8v, even if that answer is just "maybe".
Centroid_Tech2
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by Centroid_Tech2 »

If the STEP signals aren't inverted, which I can see from your report that they're not, then you should see +5VDC on pins 2,4,6 and 8 after the software starts. It sounds like you may have damage to pin 4 on the DB25. I am confused that changing pins didn't help. Are you sure that drive works when connected to the Step1 /Direction 1 pins?
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)
BounceCycles

Post by BounceCycles »

Centroid_Tech2 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:43 am If the STEP signals aren't inverted, which I can see from your report that they're not, then you should see +5VDC on pins 2,4,6 and 8 after the software starts. It sounds like you may have damage to pin 4 on the DB25. I am confused that changing pins didn't help. Are you sure that drive works when connected to the Step1 /Direction 1 pins?
Hi,

yeah 100% step/dir 1 works, I had initially suspected the dyn2 drive was toast but sure it's not. As I say I tried screw terminals and remapping the DB25/using other pins. Swapped the "non working" drive and motor to step/dir1, they worked then. Clincher was when i plugged the drives into another motion controller and they both moved fine

Just ordered a swapout, thanks for your help/confirmation.