CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: ATC and VFDEnable

Post by Allin1Chris »

Hi Bhouin,

Have you tried re-downloading and installing the files from our ATC link here.

The most recent version of the ATC files allow you to use the wizard while previous versions did not (and caused problems if you tired). I have just tested these files and the VFDEnable appears in V6.64 of the software on my benchtest here under the category "All". If the issue persists, can you attach the functions.xml file you have here (found under cnct\resources\wizard\default\plc).
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)

Centroid PLC Tutorial Videos
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
DC3IOB: No

Post by martyscncgarage »

Along with what Chris is said. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS precisely in the Lathe ATC Universal package.
Are you sure your turret uses gray code logic? Are the signals presented to the CNC control High or low when active?
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Bhouin
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: E415F6FB14AA-0312214497
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Bhouin »

Chris, yes I have the latest ATC information. I also redownloaded.

Given that my turret has no documentation or information as to where it came from I cannot confirm or deny that it uses gray code logic. However, the configuration would indicate such. I will have to verify High vs low when active.

Anyway with regards to the VFDEnable issue, I did do some troubleshooting today and found something interesting. I was originally thinking that there was a limit to the number of entries that the application would allow in the drop down since VFDEnable would have been the last entry. So to do some testing I put all of the output signals back to Outputx and move the VFDDirection back to the list. When I did this VFDEnable reappeared. Odd. I haven't take the time yet to see if I could replicate it, but I am now back to where I was prior to starting with the Turret. So my next step will be to start to test out the signals on the turret and see if I can get anything going here.

Marty, is there a sure fire way of determining if the turret would use gray code logic?
martyscncgarage

Bhouin wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:10 pm Marty, is there a sure fire way of determining if the turret would use gray code logic?
See if you can find a wiring diagram for it.
Othwerwise you'll probably have to dissect it to see how it operates.
You will have to trace back the wires coming out of it to see what they do or are connected to
Mesa, AZ
Bhouin

Post by Bhouin »

Here is what I have been able to determine:

Tool No1
Tool No2
Tool No3
Tool No4
N1 - line neutral
L1 - CCW Line voltage
L1 - CW Line voltage
24V+
24Vgnd

The tool No(x) signals appear to be normally open
martyscncgarage

Bhouin wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:03 am Here is what I have been able to determine:

Tool No1
Tool No2
Tool No3
Tool No4
N1 - line neutral
L1 - CCW Line voltage
L1 - CW Line voltage
24V+
24Vgnd

The tool No(x) signals appear to be normally open
What rotates the turret?
What locks the turret?
You have 4 outputs so indeed you may have gray logic. Some will be high, some will be low. You will have to rotate the turret to each position and create a "truth table" showing the state of the 4 outputs based on the tool number. You will need to ascertain if the outputs source or sink.
You might buy an optocoupler isolation relay board like this:
NOYITO 4-Channel Relay Module 5V 12V 24V High Low Level Trigger With Optocoupler Isolation Relay Load AC 250V 10A DC 30V 10A (DC 5V, Red)
by NOYITO TECHNOLOGIES
Learn more:

You can connect the turret outputs to it and be able to observe the LED's on it and more easily be able to create a truth table and determine if the signals are HIGH or LOW. The board accepts either and will likely not damage anything in the turret. It's cheap and I have found them to be quite useful to drive Acorn inputs when the outputs source (PNP) voltage (you do not want to connect to Acorn unless it SINKS voltage. Acorn inputs stand at 24VDC, that could damage the gray logic sensors if its voltage is uknown.

Only my suggestions on the topic. If you go to my YouTube channel search Denford Orac. You will see me using one of these boards between the turret and Acorn
Marty
Mesa, AZ
Bhouin

Post by Bhouin »

Thanks Marty. I will look into these and see what I can continue to determine. I appreciate the information.
martyscncgarage

Bhouin wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:57 am Thanks Marty. I will look into these and see what I can continue to determine. I appreciate the information.
Once you ferret everything out, and fully understand the operation of the turret, then you will be able to start to get it going with CNC12.
You are on the right track. Not having documentation on the turret makes it more difficult. I might figure out what locks the turret and what kind of motor rotates the turret. Then I would try and do that, unlock the turret and rotate it. When you can do that, then you can watch the logic signals. Is Does there appear to be a way to manually rotate the turret? This way you can know exactly the states of the gray logic signals.

You'll get there. Keep us posted on your progress.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
Bhouin

Post by Bhouin »

Thanks Marty.

Here is what I have sorted out so far.

There are 3 groupings of wires
1st group of 3 wires is power to the turret motor
2nd group of 2 wires is to power the logic switches for position of the turret
3rd group of 4 wires represent a signal line for each position

I have the signals where they line up to inputs 1-4 on the acorn. ex. input1 = turret position one signal, etc.

When I manually rotate the turret, it lifts rotates only one direction and then drops back in place. This represents the locking in place aspect of the turret (I am presuming). The signal is on slightly before it drops down and slightly after it lifts.

I am thinking that the operation looks like:
Turn power on to the motor starting the rotation and then rotate until the proper input is in the on state.

Based on this, I believe that I will need to control the power with a relay based on an output from the acorn to turn it on. I will also need to read the states of input1-4 on the acorn to determine when to shut off power.

I am not as familiar with grey logic. Does what I describe align with the grey logic thought process?

Thanks,
Bob
martyscncgarage

Bhouin wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:22 pm Thanks Marty.

Here is what I have sorted out so far.

1st group of 3 wires is power to the turret motor
2nd group of 2 wires is to power the logic switches for position of the turret
3rd group of 4 wires represent a signal line for each position

I have the signals where they line up to inputs 1-4 on the acorn. ex. input1 = turret position one signal, etc.

When I manually rotate the turret, it lifts rotates only one direction and then drops back in place. This represents the locking in place aspect of the turret (I am presuming). The signal is on slightly before it drops down and slightly after it lifts.

I am thinking that the operation looks like:
Turn power on to the motor starting the rotation and then rotate until the proper input is in the on state.

Based on this, I believe that I will need to control the power with a relay based on an output from the acorn to turn it on. I will also need to read the states of input1-4 on the acorn to determine when to shut off power.

I am not as familiar with grey logic. Does what I describe align with the grey logic thought process?

Thanks,
Bob
1st group of 3 wires is power to the turret motor So is the turret motor 3 phase??
2nd group of 2 wires is to power the logic switches for position of the turret Not following this. please clarify
3rd group of 4 wires represent a signal line for each position So have you taken the cover off the turret or have a schematic that shows the circuitry? Do you have optical sensors?

Pictures are worth a thousand words. Please post pictures of the turret, and with its cover off. Post a link to any videos or other pictures of this machine operating. Need a better understanding of how your turret works.

Gray logic usually uses sensors that are blocked by windows, based on the tool position. There is a truth table. ONs and OFFs based on which tool is in position.

Take the time to download the ATC package and look at the lathe instructions:
viewforum.php?f=63
Look for ATC overview and download it.

Marty
Mesa, AZ