CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn conversion

Post by flopearedmule »

Hi
I'm looking into upgrading my old MX2 controller made by SouthWestern Industries. Their replacement (KMX) will be over $6,000
I have a couple questions on the Acorn.

Will this work with a touchscreen computer?

If I need to do quick canned cycles like bolt patterns, pocket, frame.....will this do it without having to transfer a cam file?

Can I convert dxf files to a cam file?

Is there a practice software I can download and play with?

Thank You
FKreider
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC12: Yes

Re: Acorn conversion

Post by FKreider »

Acorn was designed to work with a touchscreen PC so YES it will work no problem.

Your post mentions upgrading the MX2 - going to centroid controls will be basically be a whole new control system - the old MX2 will be thrown in the dumpster.

You will be far better off with the Centroid "All-in-1-DC" over the Acorn because the allin1dc outputs directly to your existing DC servo motors that your MX2 system uses. Replacement encoders are available if necessary depending on what you currently have.

If you go with Acorn you will need to install new DC Servo Drivers and its going to add complication and cost vs. just going with the allin1dc which is designed exactly for your application.

Just my 2cents - I'm sure others will chime in with more advise/better info.

Also- centroid does have canned cycles that are EXACTLY like your MX2 machine. Done right on the screen in seconds - no CAM necessary.
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... v420-D.exe select the lathe or mill DEMO when installing an that will let you experiment with CNC12 on a PC that is not attached to a control. You can also play around with the Intercon conversational programming included with CNC12.

The version linked to is for the AllIn1DC and Oak servo controllers, but operates exactly the same as the Acorn version of CNC12. Unfortunately, the Acorn installer does not currently have a Demo mode, but that will be changing soon.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
Muzzer
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Post by Muzzer »

...and if you want to go the Acorn route, there are DC (brushed) servo drivers that work with Acorn, such as the CNCdrives DG4S16035 that I used on my system.

This is the US stockist (they are based in Hungary). https://www.cnc4pc.com/dg4s-16035-dc-servo-drive.html
polaraligned
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090103
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes

Re: Acron conversion

Post by polaraligned »

Keep in mind that if you use the All-in-one, you have servo position feedback right to the motion controller, but with Acorn you are just sending out step and direction commands to the servo drive and the controller assumes that the motor moved as commanded. All-in-One might be more money, but you are getting a better quality system.
DY10CNC

Post by DY10CNC »

FKreider wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:42 am Acorn was designed to work with a touchscreen PC so YES it will work no problem.

Your post mentions upgrading the MX2 - going to centroid controls will be basically be a whole new control system - the old MX2 will be thrown in the dumpster.

You will be far better off with the Centroid Cover the Acorn because the allin1dc outputs directly to your existing DC servo motors that your MX2 system uses. Replacement encoders are available if necessary depending on what you currently have.

If you go with Acorn you will need to install new DC Servo Drivers and its going to add complication and cost vs. just going with the allin1dc which is designed exactly for your application.

Just my 2cents - I'm sure others will chime in with more advise/better info.

Also- centroid does have canned cycles that are EXACTLY like your MX2 machine. Done right on the screen in seconds - no CAM necessary.
Hello,

Before retiring from industry, I used both lathes and mills with MX2 and MX3 controllers.

CNC 12 Intercon is very easy to use and has the usual canned cycles and "math help" similar to the conversational programming set-up on MX2 and MX3 controllers.

I have used Centroid's CNC 12 software since 2017 and can assure you that you will have no problems with programming,

Centroid provides regular software updates - currently Acorn, and I believe, the version for Allin One DC now include DXF input.

This forum is excellent - You are starting from the right place!

As suggested you should check out the free offline CNC 12 demo.

Good Luck!
I can't see the forest for the trees, should read "I can't see trees when I'm in the forest"

Edward
flopearedmule

Post by flopearedmule »

Hey guys,
Thanks so much for the replies!
I will check out the all in one, and the practice CNC 12 software.
My MX2 is still working, but It doesn't do everything I want. I have to manually input anything I want to profile, exception of the canned cycles.

This most likely will be a project this winter, but I'm trying to get ahead of figuring out what I want to do.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

flopearedmule wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:48 am Hey guys,
Thanks so much for the replies!
I will check out the all in one, and the practice CNC 12 software.
My MX2 is still working, but It doesn't do everything I want. I have to manually input anything I want to profile, exception of the canned cycles.

This most likely will be a project this winter, but I'm trying to get ahead of figuring out what I want to do.
Centroid is a worthwhile investment.
Could you please post a picture of your servo motors and the name plate on them?
Assume this is a Mill or a lathe?
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
flopearedmule

Post by flopearedmule »

Centroid is a worthwhile investment.
Could you please post a picture of your servo motors and the name plate on them?
Assume this is a Mill or a lathe?
[/quote]

There is no name on these motors, Here is a picture. Maybe someone can tell me what they are?
Thanks
Attachments
Capture.JPG
flopearedmule