Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: e415f6f6498f-0130214318
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn using TB6600 Drivers

Post by tonyjambajuice »

To keep this short Im using an acorn and TB6600 drivers. I have them configured currently as common anode however, I have ran them common cathode as well and the issue is unchanged in either configuration. I couldn't find anyone using a similar setup online. The motors I am using are these ones here.

The motors will jitter back and forth and make lots of vibration and noise. Im not sure where to go from here as all of my wiring is correct. I measured the windings with Fluke DMM and paired them together according to that. I assume this has something to do with my configuration in the software as opposed to the drivers because all of my drivers act the same. However the dip switches dont seem to change the action of the motors as much as you would expect. Increases speed just makes the noise louder and amperage just make the holding torque stronger.

Im not opposed to buying new drivers as these guys are only 10 bucks a pop. I just want the machine to be fairly reliable and its understandable 10 dollar drivers could derail that a little. These are the exact ones I have currently.

My application is a plasma cutter with just X and Y axis. Let me know what you would recommend for this application I would like to have this machine going soon as everything else is done but just cant get the motors to work quite right.

Ill upload a video if need be for as better analysis of this issue.
Muzzer
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Re: Acorn using TB6600 Drivers

Post by Muzzer »

You've left large gaps in your post where I guess you were expecting / planning to include some pictures. To include pictures, go to the "attachments" tab below the editor window and select "add files" (or drag and drop?). Once you've uploaded them, position the cursor where you want one of them to appear and you can select "place inline" to insert it there. It will make its own space for the photos, so no need to make your own.

You can embed a Youtube video using the icon at the very right (looks like a monitor) and pasting in the web address of the video. That would be helpful.

You are also encouraged to attach a report that allows us to see what settings you have in your system. At the moment, we have a couple of paragraphs of text, no config files and no pictures or videos. It's pretty much impossible to know what you are up to.
Richards
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Re: Acorn using TB6600 Drivers

Post by Richards »

Using the TB6600 stepper drivers should not be a problem.

Acorn Connections: Use a DB25 breakout board. Connect DB25 pin 2 to TB6600 PUL. Connect DB25 pin 3 to TB6600 DIR+. Connect one of the DB25 ground pins (18-25) to PUL-. Connect another DB25 ground pin to DIR-. DO NOT use the TB6600 EN+ or EN- connections.

Power Supply Connections: Connect the stepper power supply (+) voltage to the TB6600 High Voltage VCC pin. Connect the stepper power supply ground to the TB6600 High Voltage GND.

Stepper Motor Connections: Connect one A-Phase wire from your stepper motor to TB6600 A+. Connect the other A-Phase wire from your stepper to TB6600 A-. Connect one B-Phase wire from your stepper motor to TB6600 B+. Connect the other B-Phase wire from your stepper to TB6600 B-.

Micro-Step Settings: Bench test at 1,600 steps per revolution. Set TB6600 switch S1=Off, S2=On, S3=Off.

Current Settings: It's usually safe to bench test a stepper motor at 1A. IF your motors are rated at 1A or higher, Set TB6600 switch S4=On, S5=OFF, S6=On.

Wizard: For bench testing purposes, set Axis Configuration Steps/Revolution to match your micro-step setting (1,600). Set over-all turns ratio to 1. (Shaft will turn one revolution per inch. That's easy to see on the test bench.) If the motor shaft does not turn, invert the Step signal in Advanced Axis Configuration.

That set of instructions works for me with DM542 stepper drivers. They are similar to your TB6600 drivers.
-Mike Richards