Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: will obtain
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Centroid Acorn with servos? New build: Novakon Torus Pro

Post by CivilCNC »

Upnorth wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:02 pm I'm not sure about the isolator board. I think the outputs from the acorn are already isolated. You need to dig into the manual for the drives to see what it needs for an input.

You will have to connect the power draw bar to the VFD. There are safety and control signals. The power draw bar talks to the spindle and did so through the original BOB. I can't remember exactly how I wired it because it was a while ago. If you get stuck I'll look at the schematic.

Hopefully your sunfar VFD will work better than the one I had. If you get a bunch of weird characters on your power draw bar display and random lock ups blame the VFD.
Thanks UpNorth! I appreciate the insight. i will post more as I find out more
CivilCNC
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by CivilCNC »

Well I have officially started the conversion. Off to a good start here! Still on the fence about re-using the onboard computer. I will be video documenting the process as well on my Instagram page @civil_machine
Attachments
20211022_181007.jpg
20211022_151906.jpg
Upnorth
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1702

Post by Upnorth »

Good that you are getting going on it. I think you will like the end result I'm happy with the acorn.

In response your question on the other forum I'll try to post a photo of the wiring later in the week.

The important thing to remember about the Novakon power draw bar is that it has it's own internal software. It does not require the acorn at all to work. The important wiring is from the power drawbar control to the VFD. If you use the same wiring from the manual for the power drawbar it will work.

My previous comment is if you are only using the power draw bar. If you have the automatic tool changer then you will likely need to integrate it to the acorn inputs and outputs. I don't think that applies to you though.
CivilCNC

Post by CivilCNC »

A little update as I started yesterday on my centroid conversion.

I got the cabinet all cleaned up. I installed the acorn board, power supply, and relay board in place of the old B.O.B.

I also found exactly what I am going to need to bring step and direction from the DB25 plugs at the servo drivers, to the acorn board.

One big hurdle that I am gaining information and confidence to overcome is connecting spindle control through the existing electronic power drawbar setup, retaining all the safety and spindle orientation features. Big shout out to up_north.

Getting super excited this is going good so far, I have videos on my Instagram page as well @civil_machine.
Attachments
20211023_162427.jpg
Screenshot_20211023-222713_Amazon Shopping.jpg
20211023_162440.jpg
Upnorth

Post by Upnorth »

Going from memory you will need to use a 5 VDC source from somewhere to go to the control of the power drawbar. That was one change. The original power supply supplied with your acorn will have this. You will also need to supply the VFD with the speed control signal from the acorn. I did have a couple of leftover wires but can't remember what they were off the top of my head.

Ok I had a few minutes so I ran out to the shop. On my machine (remember my VFD is a GS2) I did not use pins 3,4,5,6,7 and 8 on connector 8P and 8R on page 11-2 of the power drawbar manual. These relate to Estop I use the Estop on the acorn instead. They also relate to spindle enable. It seems to work without this.It's been quite a while since I did the conversion so my memory is a little hazy. First thing you need to do is to download the manual for the power draw bar. In there you will find a wiring diagram that is specific to your VFD. For the most part the wiring from the VFD to the power drawbar control will not change.
CivilCNC

Post by CivilCNC »

Upnorth wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:40 pm Going from memory you will need to use a 5 VDC source from somewhere to go to the control of the power drawbar. That was one change. The original power supply supplied with your acorn will have this. You will also need to supply the VFD with the speed control signal from the acorn. I did have a couple of leftover wires but can't remember what they were off the top of my head.

Ok I had a few minutes so I ran out to the shop. On my machine (remember my VFD is a GS2) I did not use pins 3,4,5,6,7 and 8 on connector 8P and 8R on page 11-2 of the power drawbar manual. These relate to Estop I use the Estop on the acorn instead. They also relate to spindle enable. It seems to work without this.It's been quite a while since I did the conversion so my memory is a little hazy. First thing you need to do is to download the manual for the power draw bar. In there you will find a wiring diagram that is specific to your VFD. For the most part the wiring from the VFD to the power drawbar control will not change.
So i am assuming the safety features of the PDB interface are no longer? I know if a tool didnt tighten, or if something happened in the tool change process it would do a soft e stop and you would have to press reset.
CivilCNC

Post by CivilCNC »

Upnorth wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:02 am Good that you are getting going on it. I think you will like the end result I'm happy with the acorn.

In response your question on the other forum I'll try to post a photo of the wiring later in the week.

The important thing to remember about the Novakon power draw bar is that it has it's own internal software. It does not require the acorn at all to work. The important wiring is from the power drawbar control to the VFD. If you use the same wiring from the manual for the power drawbar it will work.

My previous comment is if you are only using the power draw bar. If you have the automatic tool changer then you will likely need to integrate it to the acorn inputs and outputs. I don't think that applies to you though.
Does your mill home/limit proximity switches work properly? I got the info that the three wire switches colors are as follows:
Brown-Positive
Blue- Negative
Black- signal

How did you connect these? Thanks
Upnorth

Post by Upnorth »

Your power drawbar has it's own software. It does not require any input from the acorn to operate. A tool change failure will still give a warning. I do not have the estop wired to the power draw bar. This would be easy to do with an extra set of contacts on your estop. I put a post about it in your other thread.

My home and limit switches all work properly. I have the three proximity sensors wired each to their own input. I'll try to take a photo of the wiring tomorrow to save you some time in the manuals. There is another thread about connecting them to one input but I did not go that route because I have enough inputs and I thought it would be more reliable. I think the proximity sensors use a standard color code for the wiring but I would not count on that.
CivilCNC

Post by CivilCNC »

Upnorth wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:37 pm Your power drawbar has it's own software. It does not require any input from the acorn to operate. A tool change failure will still give a warning. I do not have the estop wired to the power draw bar. This would be easy to do with an extra set of contacts on your estop. I put a post about it in your other thread.

My home and limit switches all work properly. I have the three proximity sensors wired each to their own input. I'll try to take a photo of the wiring tomorrow to save you some time in the manuals. There is another thread about connecting them to one input but I did not go that route because I have enough inputs and I thought it would be more reliable. I think the proximity sensors use a standard color code for the wiring but I would not count on that.
Awesome. I did actually connect each limit switch signal wire to its own input- then ran all the power and grounds together on a din rail block. I ran the estop wire to the same ground as the limit switches. This should? Work I think
Upnorth

Post by Upnorth »

Sounds like you got it figured out. I have mine wired with heat shrinked extension wires so I can't tell you what wire goes where because the colour changes with the extended wire. I think they use a standard colour code though.