Purchased a new Ether1616 board but it is not autodetecting in CNC12 Wizard (Resolved)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

Arthur
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: A81087C2F400-0530192077
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Purchased a new Ether1616 board but it is not autodetecting in CNC12 Wizard

Post by Arthur »

eng199 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:21 pm LED1 7 segment display seems to be causing confusion.
*Swirling pattern during start is normal and only lasts a few seconds if set for static IP
*Center most segment will light if ETH1616 is ready to run, but is not receiving data
*3 middle segments will scroll when running with good communication
*Error numbers flash and light the decimal point. If the decimal point is not lit, it is not an error number.

Try starting cncm.exe, not CNCWizard.exe.
In the cncm directory, there is a file named eth1616log.txt.
Post the contents of eth1616log.txt after running cncm.exe.

It seems like some firewall or antivirus settings blocking cncm.exe from the ETH1616. However, that would be odd since cncm.exe and ACORN can communicate. Usually exceptions allow all traffic for a particular program.

Sorry I took too long... you already sent it back.

I honestly didn't want to send the board back and was hopping to get some guidance/tips for troubleshooting, but due to lock of it, had no other options.

Thanks again!
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Arthur wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:07 pm
eng199 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:21 pm LED1 7 segment display seems to be causing confusion.
*Swirling pattern during start is normal and only lasts a few seconds if set for static IP
*Center most segment will light if ETH1616 is ready to run, but is not receiving data
*3 middle segments will scroll when running with good communication
*Error numbers flash and light the decimal point. If the decimal point is not lit, it is not an error number.

Try starting cncm.exe, not CNCWizard.exe.
In the cncm directory, there is a file named eth1616log.txt.
Post the contents of eth1616log.txt after running cncm.exe.

It seems like some firewall or antivirus settings blocking cncm.exe from the ETH1616. However, that would be odd since cncm.exe and ACORN can communicate. Usually exceptions allow all traffic for a particular program.

Sorry I took too long... you already sent it back.

I honestly didn't want to send the board back and was hopping to get some guidance/tips for troubleshooting, but due to lock of it, had no other options.

Thanks again!
So you sent it back and we are going back and forth trying to help with suggestions? :roll:
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

Marty,

After receiving E1616 board and unsuccessful attempt to get CNC12 to autodetect it, as per manual, my first thought was to get in touch with tech support via e-mail. The response was to seek for help on this forum straightaway, which I found very odd, but that's whole another story. After several phone calls I was suggested to buy tech support time, which I found unsettling. I cannot recall a single experience of purchasing any board and being told to buy a tech support time to get assistance for remote troubleshooting or to find out whether the copy of the board I received is for a fact in working condition. I have no intention to step on anyone's toes or point fingers, but every time I would contact tech support, I kept receiving pdf manual and link to the forum.

This conversation with tech support took place in the span of 4 busyness days, (one e-mail per busyness day) along with few phone calls and me desperately turning the question to the forum, after which I was issued a RMA code to turn the board in, for farther testing or exchange. Is it wrong of me to gather more information and troubleshooting tips from other peers on the forum?

I sincerely appreciate the time and effort of all participants on this forum, taking time off from their busy schedules trying to help, but I did
my best to avoid distracting anyone unnecessarily. I did of course read the manual before and after purchasing the board and yes there are some
parts of it that I scrolled through due to information being irrelevant to my case. Could I have missed something? Or course I could, I am just a
human being and to proof the point, Mike Richards called my typo of IP address, that introduced additional confusion to the topic, which I apologized for. However, there is very limited info in the manual regarding LED1 Status Display (7-segment LED) and code interpretation found on page 58.
Page 54 that you referred me to contains E1616 board jumper addressing scheme, followed by quick command reference(unless we have different copies of manual), but nothing about LED1 Status Display. I suspected that there is more to it, but was not able to obtain such info, until "eng199" pointed out to me. I am still all ears if anyone has anything to add to the topic.

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!
martyscncgarage

No problem, but we were all trying to help. I think most of us didn't realize you had shipped it back.
Mesa, AZ
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Free tech support is available on the forum if you want to call and talk to a CNC technician one-on-one at centroid for a DIY CNC product the cost is $90 per hour. Warranty is for manufactured defect on parts. If you end up paying for tech support time to determine that it was a manufactured defect it is at centroids discretion to refund that purchased support time.
This structure is so that we can offer affordable high quality DIY CNC products such as the acorn, CNC 12 software, ether 1616, KP3 touch probe and the wireless MPG. We could bake support time into the price of the products but our market research showed us that a overwhelming number of DIYers wanted the lowest cost possible so that they could do it themselves, We then put a significant amount of effort into setting up this excellent tech support forum to provide free tech support for those that did not need phone one-on-one consultations. All our products are tested thoroughly before they are shipped as well. (This is the first return of an ether 1616 that I'm aware of) This formula seems to be working very well for the bulk of the acorn DIY users.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

cnckeith wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:23 am Free tech support is available on the forum if you want to call and talk to a CNC technician one-on-one at centroid for a DIY CNC product the cost is $90 per hour. Warranty is for manufactured defect on parts. If you end up paying for tech support time to determine that it was a manufactured defect it is at centroids discretion to refund that purchased support time.
This structure is so that we can offer affordable high quality DIY CNC products such as the acorn, CNC 12 software, ether 1616, KP3 touch probe and the wireless MPG. We could bake support time into the price of the products but our market research showed us that a overwhelming number of DIYers wanted the lowest cost possible so that they could do it themselves, We then put a significant amount of effort into setting up this excellent tech support forum to provide free tech support for those that did not need phone one-on-one consultations. All our products are tested thoroughly before they are shipped as well. (This is the first return of an ether 1616 that I'm aware of) This formula seems to be working very well for the bulk of the acorn DIY users.
Keith,

I was forced to sent the board back, due to the lock of information provided in manual for my specific case. I watched all your videos without a hiccup and was able to equip myself with enough knowledge to operate my CNC. I am not saying that manual is bad, not at all. I am saying that manual doesn't have troubleshooting tips included for the case when you installed the board properly (electronically speaking), you connected and configured proper network settings and after rebooting PC, Acorn and E1616 CNC12 is not detecting it. May ne it never happened before? Very possible. To the best my understanding, only manufacturer of E1616 board would posses all the answers to the questions raised in my case. By my professional trade I feel like a fish in a tank around electronic and network equipment. Trust me I know a few things and can be a big help for others too, but buying a tech time for 90$ to learn what code LED1 Status Display is trying to tell me is very unsettling to me. I made a purchase and expect to receive the goods with just enough documentation to get it to work. In My case it was inefficient. Otherwise, I had no trouble installing Acorn board and look forward utilizing Centroid controllers in the future.

Best regards,
Arthur
martyscncgarage

Arthur,
This wasn't the information you were looking for? It came from page 58 of the manual:
Ether1616 Troubleshooting.JPG
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _guide.pdf
Several of us were actively trying to help, until we learned you shipped it back.
I can tell you when I see we (users/Power users are getting stuck) Centroid generally will step in and help like Matt did (Eng199 who is the design Engineer of the boards) I don't know of any user that has been intentionally left out in the cold without a solution/suggestion.

Arthur, what is the make and model of the Ethernet switch you were trying to use?

Marty
Mesa, AZ
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

martyscncgarage wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:41 pm Arthur,
This wasn't the information you were looking for? It came from page 58 of the manual:
Ether1616 Troubleshooting.JPG
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _guide.pdf
Several of us were actively trying to help, until we learned you shipped it back.
I can tell you when I see we (users/Power users are getting stuck) Centroid generally will step in and help like Matt did (Eng199 who is the design Engineer of the boards) I don't know of any user that has been intentionally left out in the cold without a solution/suggestion.

Arthur, what is the make and model of the Ethernet switch you were trying to use?

Marty
Hi Marty,

I would have much educated approach with troubleshooting connectivity issue of my copy of E1616 board if the info that Matt (Eng199) shared with me was included in the manual, really. I regret sending the board back now, because it delays my project, give or take, for a mount. Hopefully, they will receive the board tomorrow, plus 4 days of testing and another week for shipping it back.

To answer your question: The E1616 kit that I received has TP-LINK TL-SG105. I also used my Fluke network mapper to check both shielded patch cords supplied with the kit. After connecting everything up I observed flickering green link light on PC and Acorn ports of the switch, but steady green on E1616 port of the switch. Obviously there was not pocket exchange taking place with E1616 board, I assumed. The puzzle was E1616 board responding to my ping command to 10.168.41.3 IP address from my PC running CNC12. This meant to me that E1616 board is powered and connected to the network properly, but was not visible to CNC12 or for a fact to my operating system somehow. At this point I needed an input from technical personal who knows ins and outs of E1616 board to take the guess work out of equation, troubleshooting it farter. As far as LED1 Status Display shown on page 58, the only applicable scenario was in my case "1 No IP Address / DHCP in Progress or Failed / Wait for DHCP to finish or use Jumper J3-J7 to select a Static IP Address" which in my case was already set to 10.168.41.3.

For now I have to wait until I receive the board back :(

Thanks again for all the effort. I really appreciate it.
Best,
Arthur
Richards

Post by Richards »

Keep us posted after you receive the board back.
-Mike Richards
Arthur

Post by Arthur »

Richards wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:11 am Keep us posted after you receive the board back.
I sure will Mike.

Thank you