Why does using the Wizard change the layout of the VCP? (Resolved)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

Chris D
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: ACORN 4447
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Why does using the Wizard change the layout of the VCP? (Resolved)

Post by Chris D »

Greetings all,

I have noticed something strange (and annoying). I modified the layout for my VCP and got things the way I want. After I went into the wizard and changed a setting (not related to VCP) and then restarted CNC12 my layout changed. It seems that is specific to M55 or M57 buttons. I am using these buttons, otherwise I would just hide them.

Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks!

Chris D
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Re: Why does using the Wizard change the layout of the VCP?

Post by ShawnM »

Do you have "custom vcp skin" turned on in the wizard? Are you using the "axis paired" feature? Did you read through the VCP users manual? A better explanation of what is happening would help.
Chris D

Post by Chris D »

I didn't see anything related to "Custom VCP Skin" described in the VCP User Manual but I might have missed that. However, based on your reply, "Custom VCP Skin" setting in the Wizard is the solution to the problem of the Wizard changing the VCP Layout. Not sure what "Axis Paired" would have to do with it but I am not using that feature.

Thanks for the help,

Chris D
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

Glad the setting fixed your issue Chris. I know it’s a setting in the wizard but I’m not sure it’s in the VCP manual. You probably just overlooked it when you were programming the wizard, it happens.

As for axis pairing and why it matters, when you enable this feature in the wizard the software hijacks the aux 10 button which is the stock M55 button (or whatever you changed the aux 10 button to) and automatically changes it to the “axis paired” button. This is one of the “special cases” in the VCP manual. This happened to me on a retrofit I did with paired axis on a large 6x12 CNC router.
Chris D

Post by Chris D »

ShawnM wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:34 am Glad the setting fixed your issue Chris. I know it’s a setting in the wizard but I’m not sure it’s in the VCP manual. You probably just overlooked it when you were programming the wizard, it happens.

As for axis pairing and why it matters, when you enable this feature in the wizard the software hijacks the aux 10 button which is the stock M55 button (or whatever you changed the aux 10 button to) and automatically changes it to the “axis paired” button. This is one of the “special cases” in the VCP manual. This happened to me on a retrofit I did with paired axis on a large 6x12 CNC router.
Wow, that is one of those "GOTCHAs" that would certainly send you in circles.

Thanks again!

Chris
Sword
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Re: Why does using the Wizard change the layout of the VCP? (Resolved)

Post by Sword »

If you do use Axis Pairing, but never use the button, you can make an "invisible" button and park it in the logo area. Just look for the axis paired button, make a copy of it to keep, edit the button svg by deleting the contents or giving it no fill and stroke, save and move it to it's new location.
Scott