Acorn burned down < strand of hookup wire on board>.

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

LenelyWolf
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Acorn burned down < strand of hookup wire on board>.

Post by LenelyWolf »

martyscncgarage wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:15 am A VFD can increase a 3 phase motor speed by increasing the frequency. It can also reduce the motor speed by reducing the frequency. If top speed is your sweet spot then you should be ok. Low speed torque may suffer on a 3450rpm motor. It's also why I recommend a sensorless vector drive.

If it were me, I'd talk to Lenze.

What is the HP of your DC Spindle motor? Picture of the label? I'm surprised you can't find a similar company in the UK.
That Lenze drive is discontinued product and it is german manufacture so I don’t think they will speak to some DIYer. I already contacted them today and waiting for response. 6000rpm is minimum I want to get on my spindle.. ideal is 7k but I’ll never get that rpm out of it.
Here are all information about that motor
Attachments
B3AF323C-80CD-483F-842A-2E3050245FAD.jpeg
805DC4D2-3458-4A0D-8B28-7EA1AF82E6B1.jpeg
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Not sure what to tell you....
It appears you have a DC Brush servo without an encoder OR is there an encoder on top of it?
Assume the motor is belted at 1:1 to the spindle?

I might experiment with an Analog DC Brush Servo drive if I was stuck with that motor. They simply take an analog input 0-10VDC to drive the motor, but most of them require -0 to -10VDC to reverse them. Some may have other inputs to reverse them.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable stopping the and reversing the motor with a contactor and expecting to rigid tap, it might be doable.

I think a proper regenerative/reversing DC Motor controller would work as well.
I know properly matched 3 phase inverter duty motors and VFD's work and rigid tap well. I'm not in the UK so I am at a loss at what further to suggest to you.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
LenelyWolf

Post by LenelyWolf »

martyscncgarage wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:35 am Not sure what to tell you....
It appears you have a DC Brush servo without an encoder OR is there an encoder on top of it?
Assume the motor is belted at 1:1 to the spindle?

I might experiment with an Analog DC Brush Servo drive if I was stuck with that motor. They simply take an analog input 0-10VDC to drive the motor, but most of them require -0 to -10VDC to reverse them. Some may have other inputs to reverse them.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable stopping the and reversing the motor with a contactor and expecting to rigid tap, it might be doable.

I think a proper regenerative/reversing DC Motor controller would work as well.
I know properly matched 3 phase inverter duty motors and VFD's work and rigid tap well. I'm not in the UK so I am at a loss at what further to suggest to you.
Marty
There is no encoder but I’ve got hedenhein encoder waiting to be installed on it. I just need to find some controller for it. I really don’t know where to look but I will have to try until I find one. Thanks for your help anyway. I really appreciate that. Just out of curiosity do u think this one would do the job?
https://inverterdrive.com/group/DC-Thyr ... olated-1Q/
martyscncgarage

I have heard good things about Sprint. They know DC Motor controllers. Take the time to CALL them and talk about your application, Provide the details about your motor and what you want to do. That's what their staff is there for. Explain you need isolation on the 0-10VDC analog input, you want spindle reversing using relay contacts.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
Nigelo
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA80C8B8-0905181172
E415F6F70BC3-0318203049
98F07B91FC6B-0123236802

Post by Nigelo »

Black Forest has already provided you with a link to Radwell in Germany for the KB unit. Their UK office will sell a reconditioned unit direct to you if you want to avoid Import hassle. see link https://www.radwell.co.uk/Shop?source=G ... ZUQAvD_BwE
"You can lead a horse to water but you cannot force it to drink"
Hope this helps
Nigel
LenelyWolf

Post by LenelyWolf »

Nigelo wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:02 am Black Forest has already provided you with a link to Radwell in Germany for the KB unit. Their UK office will sell a reconditioned unit direct to you if you want to avoid Import hassle. see link https://www.radwell.co.uk/Shop?source=G ... ZUQAvD_BwE
Thanks... yes I know about it and i got it in a basket already... before I pay that money I want to be 100% sure it will work so I have ordered chinese isolation board first for £10 which I will test on the burned beaglebone first. Here is link
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Voltage-Sign ... 890.l49286

Once that will work then I buy the KB unit. Also Lenze get back to me and this is their answer:

“ This is old… In the past we had a Type 2008 circuit board for this purpose, but we don’t have this products anymore.

I think your best chance is at Phoenix contact. Maybe they can offer such galvanic separation boards for analogue signals.”

I managed to find this board after hours on internet. However I have no idea how would I connect this board and if it would be compatible with acorn. I didn’t find any manual so I will just buy the KB one if the Chinese will work. Here is link to the lenze one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenze-2008-I ... 890.l49286
martyscncgarage

Many members use the KBSI240D successfully here. Just do a search here. Not sure about some inexpensive Chinese board that requires two separate power supplies....
Mesa, AZ
LenelyWolf

Post by LenelyWolf »

martyscncgarage wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:19 am Many members use the KBSI240D successfully here. Just do a search here. Not sure about some inexpensive Chinese board that requires two separate power supplies....
Ok.. you got me there so I just bought it.. all together £150... and BTW none of them are in stock in UK from radwell as someone mentioned that above.. I had to buy it from US so plus customs 😩 I wish UK is in NAFTA already.
UPDATE: radwell sending it from US branch to UK branch and then form UK branch to me so no custom charges will be applied
martyscncgarage

Radwell is just a company that buys and resells.
eBay here in the US has an international shipping program. I'm surprised you can't buy from the us and have it shipped.

Sounds like they are working with you.
Continued luck on your project!
Mesa, AZ
LenelyWolf

Post by LenelyWolf »

I get new beaglebone and I’ll be replacing it soon. I noticed that also acorn pcb around ground pin is little burned. Any idea how to check if the acorn is ok?
Attachments
CEA6E57A-CA0E-4C3E-9CAE-A63CC41E2004.jpeg