Acorn burned down < strand of hookup wire on board>.

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

Gary Campbell
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Acorn burned down < strand of hookup wire on board>.

Post by Gary Campbell »

But why to send the old board back to them or destroy it??? That is my point and not who's fault it is. Why there isn’t an option to just buy new board without all the extras???
Simple.... That's the way that they do it. You either buy retail complete, or use the replacement version for $199. And to use your "engine" analogy, You either buy a complete NEW crate motor, or buy a lesser cost rebuilt unit, that by the way, has a core charge. So, in order to purchase a lesser cost replacement, you provide them with your old parts, or evidence that you have destroyed it. Simple insurance that someone will not buy the discounted parts to get a working unit.

You have two choices, A complete kit @ $299 or a replacement @ $199 exchange (or destroy). Pick a lane
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
Richards
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by Richards »

It seems simple enough to me. You can buy a new Acorn for $300 or you can return the damaged Acorn and then receive a new or refurbished board for $200. Being in another Country, you might consider having a spare Acorn. I keep an extra Acorn on the shelf so that I can keep going if I fry a board (which I have done). The Acorn is the most critical part of any of my builds and it is one of the least expensive. That's why I keep a spare on hand. A basic build with Acorn, enclosure, power supplies, stepper drivers, stepper motors, NUC, display, wiring, switches, terminal blocks, circuit breakers, and the other parts and pieces costs at least $1,500. The same basic enclosure using NEMA 23 ClearPath servos and Teknic's IPC-5 power supply starts at about $2,500, so in either case, the Acorn is not expensive in relation to the total cost.
-Mike Richards
LenelyWolf

Post by LenelyWolf »

Gary Campbell wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:10 am
But why to send the old board back to them or destroy it??? That is my point and not who's fault it is. Why there isn’t an option to just buy new board without all the extras???
Simple.... That's the way that they do it. You either buy retail complete, or use the replacement version for $199. And to use your "engine" analogy, You either buy a complete NEW crate motor, or buy a lesser cost rebuilt unit, that by the way, has a core charge. So, in order to purchase a lesser cost replacement, you provide them with your old parts, or evidence that you have destroyed it. Simple insurance that someone will not buy the discounted parts to get a working unit.

You have two choices, A complete kit @ $299 or a replacement @ $199 exchange (or destroy). Pick a lane
In my engine analogy brand new engine would cost $199 and rebuild one $99 if the whole car cost $299. So they should at least give options to customer.. ok buy only acorn for $249 or do swap out for $199 or tho whole kit for $299. How hard is it to do it? But it doesn’t matter. I’m just trying to provide after-sale feedback here and this is definitely one thing they should consider to do
Gary Campbell
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Post by Gary Campbell »

Look man, I feel your pain. As I learned my way around building Acorn system controls I smoked a number of BBG's and Acorn boards. (dozens & dozens) I have also replaced some for customers because of their clumsiness or electrical storms. I was pleasantly surprised when I was allowed to provide a pc of the destroyed board instead of paying to ship it back.

None of us like paying for our mistakes. But, its a part of life. Accept it and get on with yours
Acorn Smoked.jpg
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
tblough
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

The reason is simple. Not everyone is as honest as we are. Some would claim their board is bad, have Centroid send them a new one at a discount, and then have two Acorns to play with. Asking for proof that the Acorn is bad, either by requesting a return or confirmation that it has been destroyed, protects Centroid's financial interests while causing no hardship for honest users.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
LenelyWolf

Post by LenelyWolf »

Gary Campbell wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:41 am Look man, I feel your pain. As I learned my way around building Acorn system controls I smoked a number of BBG's and Acorn boards. (dozens & dozens) I have also replaced some for customers because of their clumsiness or electrical storms. I was pleasantly surprised when I was allowed to provide a pc of the destroyed board instead of paying to ship it back.

None of us like paying for our mistakes. But, its a part of life. Accept it and get on with yours

Acorn Smoked.jpg
I fully accept it was my mistake and I don’t mind pay for it but I don’t want to pay for the extras I don’t need. My acorn board is fully functional. It has burned on ground pins but that can be fixed by connecting the ground to different pin so I would like to keep that board as a spare so that is why i don’t want to break it or send it back to do swap out… so there is no option for me to buy a new one unless i buy the whole kit with full of unnecessary parts. Does that make a sense?
LenelyWolf

Post by LenelyWolf »

tblough wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:04 pm The reason is simple. Not everyone is as honest as we are. Some would claim their board is bad, have Centroid send them a new one at a discount, and then have two Acorns to play with. Asking for proof that the Acorn is bad, either by requesting a return or confirmation that it has been destroyed, protects Centroid's financial interests while causing no hardship for honest users.
Well that is what I’m trying to tell here.. let customers buy only acorn board without discount. So lets say kit for $299 board only for $249 and swap out for $199… does it make any sense???
tblough
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Not really. Why would you want to pay $50 more when you can swap it (or provide proof it was destroyed) for $199 and get the Acorn and BBG?
Cheers,

Tom
LenelyWolf

Post by LenelyWolf »

tblough wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:29 pm Not really. Why would you want to pay $50 more when you can swap it (or provide proof it was destroyed) for $199 and get the Acorn and BBG?
Because my acorn is working but the ground pin burned down but that can be fixed by connecting ground to another pin… therefore I don’t want to get rid of the old one by damaging it but keep it as spare or for setting only and buy new one for already set machine. So therefore I don’t mind to pay extra $50.. does it make sense now?
tblough
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

It would seem to me that if you are looking for a "spare", then for $50 more than you are talking about paying, your get a spare Acorn board with a spare BBG that has been installed, tested, and guaranteed to work.
Cheers,

Tom