Acorn burned down < strand of hookup wire on board>.

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

LenelyWolf
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn burned down < strand of hookup wire on board>.

Post by LenelyWolf »

Can anyone point me in right direction to figure out this misery. The acorn just died in front of my eyes and I really don’t know why. I triple check wiring and everything looks ok. Where should I look for a reason? It looks like it burned on ground pin and ethernet port
Attachments
AF5C4671-A22A-4649-A67A-C6DF326CA311.jpeg
69E2090E-0797-48D4-B73B-78534FC0B0BA.jpeg
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Acorn burned down

Post by martyscncgarage »

Background would be helpful. Was it a working system before or were you just getting started on a new build?
Describe your machine. Follow this post and provide all the information including what schematic you were using.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383

More clear and detailed information will get you better suggestions. Remember, we can not "SE E" what you "SEE"

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Muzzer
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512

Post by Muzzer »

In the first photo there appears to be a strand of wire sitting on the top of some compts at the top left of the frame. It is sitting on top of C37, C38 and FB4. Given that there seems to be 24V in that area, bad things could happen. Could you have had something else shorting components together?

That's the underside of the ethernet connector that's burned up. Perhaps you have a voltage between the ends of the network cable. Are the power supplies 0V in your PC and Acorn at different potentials?
LenelyWolf

Post by LenelyWolf »

Muzzer wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:20 am In the first photo there appears to be a strand of wire sitting on the top of some compts at the top left of the frame. It is sitting on top of C37, C38 and FB4. Given that there seems to be 24V in that area, bad things could happen. Could you have had something else shorting components together?

That's the underside of the ethernet connector that's burned up. Perhaps you have a voltage between the ends of the network cable. Are the power supplies 0V in your PC and Acorn at different potentials?
Ohh crap.. i can see that... good eye. How the hell it get there
LenelyWolf

Post by LenelyWolf »

Muzzer wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:20 am In the first photo there appears to be a strand of wire sitting on the top of some compts at the top left of the frame. It is sitting on top of C37, C38 and FB4. Given that there seems to be 24V in that area, bad things could happen. Could you have had something else shorting components together?

Ok it looks like it was that wire.. i hoped for a miracle and power it back up... i get the heartbeat on the pcb so I was like “no way... it actually might work” so I connected ethernet and power up computer... software on pc recognised it and connected to it successfully and after 5 second bang and it was up in the flame again
martyscncgarage

LenelyWolf wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:35 am

Clearly you were stripping wire making your connections. I don't see burn marks on or near the wire, but that doesn't mean it wasn't the cause.
I will always do a visual inspection of the motion controller and I will lightly blast the area with air to help ensure none of those wire whiskers are going to cause me trouble. I will also unplug power to the motion controller when I power up my back panel when I am bench testing it and check for proper voltages at the correct terminals. I will go around the panel and do the same.
Chassis Ground and COM should be tied together at the Acorn Power supply to make sure both are at the same potential.

I still ask you to provide details of the build and post overall pictures of your bench test setup. What was connected during the bench test, what kind of drives, spindle drive etc.....Muzzer may well be correct on the stray wire whisker.....but then again....
Mesa, AZ
LenelyWolf

Post by LenelyWolf »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:59 am
LenelyWolf wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:35 am

Clearly you were stripping wire making your connections. I don't see burn marks on or near the wire, but that doesn't mean it wasn't the cause.
I will always do a visual inspection of the motion controller and I will lightly blast the area with air to help ensure none of those wire whiskers are going to cause me trouble. I will also unplug power to the motion controller when I power up my back panel when I am bench testing it and check for proper voltages at the correct terminals. I will go around the panel and do the same.
Chassis Ground and COM should be tied together at the Acorn Power supply to make sure both are at the same potential.

I still ask you to provide details of the build and post overall pictures of your bench test setup. What was connected during the bench test, what kind of drives, spindle drive etc.....Muzzer may well be correct on the stray wire whisker.....but then again....
I’m sure it was the wire. now the acorn pcb looks like it works but ethernet looks like it is gone. I had connected all my cl57y servo drivers and lenze spindle motor controller... ... look at the attached video(video can’t be attached here) so i get heart beat (10 in one second interval the 2 second nothing and then another 10).. now the pcb looks it work. But when I connect ethernet cable then after few seconds it goes up in the flame again and the cnc software recognise it well. I don’t know If I should still try it with disconneced drivers just the plain board or if the board is already gone and it would be safer to just buy a new one
Attachments
image.jpg
martyscncgarage

Videos need to be uploaded to YouTube and the SHARE a link here.

Boards is probably damaged. $199 replacement under Centroid. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... ranty.html

Best double check every connection now.
Mesa, AZ
LenelyWolf

Post by LenelyWolf »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:24 am Videos need to be uploaded to YouTube and the SHARE a link here.

Boards is probably damaged. $199 replacement under Centroid. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... ranty.html

Best double check every connection now.
Here is video from my dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/41lwp7pt8tswu ... 4.mov?dl=0

So should I try to connect it again with all drivers disconnected or is the ethernet too burned to try? I don’t want to make more harm then good

If it would be just about the $199 it would be nice but I’m in UK so I have to count customs and postage 😩
Attachments
image.jpg
martyscncgarage

You can disconnect everything except Acorn power and Ethernet cable and do a basic bench test.

Hopefully your PC ethernet port wasn't damaged as well
Mesa, AZ