Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: E415F6F8DF80-0217212488
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Subnet mask/gateway for static IP address <resolved>

Post by neowalla »

Hey everybody, a while back when I posted another issue, Marty noticed PC/MPU resend errors in my error log.
I'm still seeing these errors in the log.
The wiring going to the VFD is shielded with the drain grounded to the cabinet. All other wiring going to the steppers, switches, and Z touch plate are the existing wiring from the factory. I hope I do not have to re-wire my entire machine.
I replaced the shielded ethernet cable that came with my Acorn with a shorter (3ft), shielded CAT8 ethernet cable in the hope that the shorter length might help with any noise issues since I could run it more directly without having to coil up all the excess length and store it inside the cabinet. The PC is mounted to the back of the electronics cabinet. I believe there are photos in the Google photos link in my signature.
I'm looking at the ethernet settings in Windows. Oddly, the ethernet settings show it is set to DHCP. When installing CNC12 the install wizard asks you if you want Acorn to set the port to the static IP address of 10.168.41.1. Of course I clicked yes, yet in Windows settings it shows DHCP. Despite DHCP being selected, it obviously has the correct IP address as it does communicate with the Acorn board, but I would like to throw that switch from DHCP to static and plug in all the correct addressing, but I would need to enter a subnet mask and gateway. I'm not seeing this information anywhere.
I also have two ethernet ports on my PC (both show set to DHCP) I would like to try the other port as well if I can get the subnet mask and GW.

I quoted Marty's response from that earlier post below and have attached a fresh report.

quote]You also have some PC/MPU resends in your error log. F7 Utility, F9 Logs, F1 Errors. Could be a noise issue or PC ethernet issue...[/quote]
Attachments
report_E415F6F8DF80-0217212488_2021-04-27_20-02-17.zip
(809.39 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
neowalla
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Re: Subnet mask/gateway for static IP address

Post by neowalla »

Ok I found another way into the adapter settings that is more familiar to me. Maybe this can help the next guy tying to troubleshoot.
My initial way in was to click on the network icon in the system tray by the clock and selecting "Network and internet settings". This brings you to Windows 10's "settings". Click on "ethernet" from the list on the left. This still indicates that both ethernet adapters are set to DHCP. However, if you then go to the right side of the screen and click "change adapter options", it will open a window much more familiar to someone used to the old fashioned Win 7, XP way of changing your adapter settings. From here you will see all your network adapters. In my case there are two ethernet adapters and one wireless.
Right click and go to properties. Scroll down to "Internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Click on properties.
Here it shows a static IP address of 10.168.41.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, no gateway. So here it confirms that the adapter is indeed set to a static address despite what the higher level Windows "settings" says.
I can't use the same address for both adapters so I set my second ethernet port to 10.168.41.3 so I might try it tomorrow to see if it communicates. Then I will run a few test jobs and check my logs. Maybe the ethernet port is a bit wonky.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

This post would have helped Acorn Knowlegebase videos: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1451
Bottom line. The physical Ethernet port in the PC is the one to be used with Acorn.
Any Secondary Ethernet port can be configured as you see fit. It can be configured separately from the physical Ethernet port.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
eng199
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by eng199 »

neowalla wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:36 pm I can't use the same address for both adapters so I set my second ethernet port to 10.168.41.3 so I might try it tomorrow to see if it communicates. Then I will run a few test jobs and check my logs. Maybe the ethernet port is a bit wonky.
Normally one is left on DHCP for LAN/Internet. This usually gives 192.168.0.x address. There is probably nothing wrong with 10.168.41.3 for your second card, but it is outside the realm of normal use and testing. The safer and more standard method would be to set the unused card to DHCP or static 192.168.0.3 so it is on a different network.
neowalla
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by neowalla »

Just to update and let the moderators know this can be marked "solved".
I ran a lot of tests today of a new CAD model and there are no communication errors in the log so I guess I'm good for now. I will keep an eye on the reports for a while and at least I have a second ethernet port I can use if this one is problematic. Two ethernet ports are not common on PC's but it's nice to have a spare.